HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you visit SSP Local: Hamilton regularly?
Yes, I am a Hamilton forumer 27 77.14%
Yes, I am a Hamiltonian in spirit 3 8.57%
No, I don't know what I'm doing here 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 2:01 PM

Burlington St at the Lakeport Beer store is the worst

Sometimes James/Wilson smells like piss

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 2:21 PM

The only smells I've ever noticed are the sulphur or burning steel smells, which I've only noticed occasionally when there is a wind coming in off the lake. Occasionally means a handful of times in over 5 years in Dundas and very rarely downtown. When I'm right in the industrial areas I obviously smell things. I think this is another example of expectations tainting reality. People see giant smokestacks and automatically think it should smell. The smell usually blows eastward out over the lake because the prevailing winds here are from the west. The worst smelling area of Hamilton is the Beach strip and the skyway, which is another reason for the stigma because the skyway is how most people know Hamilton. I find it strange that people want to put new developments in the beach community considering the smell, which is probably the reason the beach hasn't done so well over the years.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 2:37 PM

There is a strange odour downtown. I noticed it in the spring. Not sulphur.

A friend said it was grain, and that there is a grain terminal downtown? Or maybe it's the brewery?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 2:44 PM

There is a mustard mill at Park and Vine Street. Sometimes the brewery and Bunge Oil plant at Wellington/Burlington smell pretty strong downtown

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:00 PM

I used to notice the smell at Burlington and Kenilworth.

There's also a smell in one part of the Centre Mall, between Carlton Cards and Saint Cinnamon. I'm hoping it gets demolished with the mall LOL.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I find that I get the sulfur smell on a hot, sticky and muggy morning once you go outside from your A/C house.
Yup, that's the one. Depending on wind direction it's quite noticable in South Stipley.

Also, I think the hot, humid air draws cooler air off the harbour, over the steel mills and into the city. I could even smell it last night on the front porch during one of the thunderstorms. I was amazed the particles creating the smell weren't rained to the ground before they got to our place.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergirl View Post
There's also a smell in one part of the Centre Mall, between Carlton Cards and Saint Cinnamon. I'm hoping it gets demolished with the mall LOL.
That's where my dentist is... I'll keep a nose out for it next time I visit.. which will be soon

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by block43 View Post
There is a mustard mill at Park and Vine Street. Sometimes the brewery and Bunge Oil plant at Wellington/Burlington smell pretty strong downtown
Yeah, we could smell the oil the other week at 7pm while waiting for the buss at Main & McNab. The smell made me (and my wife) think of popcorn, and not air popped popcorn. Here's an article: http://www.thespec.com/article/200593

With all the talk of smells, perhaps it's thread worthy.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 2:48 AM
Hammer'd

The Bunge plant makes some absolutely gross smells. They often can be smelled right downtown.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion