HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 5:30 PM
The higher the better!

I have a client that has a store in the Flour Mill. She said the Mill's owner is form California and has never set foot in Spokane, let alone the Flour Mill. (This was as of last summer, who knows, maybe he has been there since.)

Anyway, she told me that the owner wanted the building to be changed from the collection of shops and restaurants it is now, to 100% office space. My client, along with other shop owners were trying to either change the owner's mind, or find someone else to buy the building. With the new interest in condos, maybe the owner will change his mind from offices and turn it into condos.

It is such a fun building, condos would be cool there, but I really like it as a marketplace, and like you Hub, would love to see it pick back up again.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 12:29 AM

As much as I love condo developments in and around downtown, I would hate to see the flour mill converted into condos. I think with all of the planned activites around there; upper falls, science center, the new condo proposal, even Kendall Yards, there is no need to convert that great Spokane landmark!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 12:50 AM

I'm not sure how up-to-date this site is, but it almost looks like a condo glut is about to happen. How about more apartments?

http://www.condo-spokane.com

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 1:50 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I would agree that there needs to be more apartments downtown. I think we just started seeing the Condo craze in Spokane. Most of the projects haven't even opened yet. It's a trend on the national scale about Condo's. I really think it will continue for a few years at least!

Let's hope retail stays in the Flour Mill. What a great site for people to walk to from all the Condo's and after an event at the Arena.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 5:12 AM

^^ citymouse......that site is not up-to-date. I know for a fact that there is only about 4-5 units left in the upperfalls condo project unless some people have pulled out, which I highly doubt.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 7:04 PM

To chime in on a couple of these topics:

I believe I read an article in the SR or JOB about the flour mill and though the idea was to turn the upper levels into office space but to leave the lower space as retail. I hope that is the case as I think retail is important to have in that area, particularly with the increase in population sure to result from the condo projects in the works.

One reason I was excited about the VOX, other than the scale of the project, is that it would have included a significant number of apartments. Condos are great but downtown is also in need of nice apartment spaces that can be taken by those without the means or desire to purchase a condo. I can only hope that the VOX is more than a nice rendering.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2006, 1:52 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I agree. Apartments are needed to have a range of people living downtown. Even small studio apartments for people starting out, would be a nice mix.

I can't visualize no retail in the Flour Mill. I'm sure retail on the main with eateries will be in demand with the changing role the building will play in the future.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2006, 2:16 AM

davenport tower Number of floors (2 below - 19 above ground)

In this picture you will notice that on either side of the elevator are wood doors with numbers on them. on the 2nd floor above ground there is the number 4 and on the 3rd floor above ground ther is the number 5. Today they finishes number 8 or the sixth floor above ground. So, though the Davenport web site says 21 floors, only 19 of them will be above ground. Floors above level 2 seem to be only about 9 foot high. My best guess is this building only comes in at 200 ft, maybe 210. The Metroplitan Finacial Center is listed on Emporis at 243 feet and the Bank of America building at 288 ft. This building will be no were close to being Spokanes tallest, not even the 3rd tallest (paulsen 221 and us bank 217)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 1:12 AM
Hub for an Empire

04/01/06 Washington Population Estimates for the Spokane Area from another thread:

Spokane :201,600

Spokane Valley: 87,000

Spokane County: 443,800

Eastern Washington: 1,401,500

Last edited by Hub for an Empire; Jul 3, 2006 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 1:25 AM
A before E

I didn't think it would ever compete with a tallest. Worthy doesnt have that kind of ego. This building will be a modest filler and by no means an architectural gem.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2006, 3:22 AM
Hub for an Empire

In yesterday's Journal of Business, they had a picture of the Davenport Tower construction. Also, the architect had a rendering of the tower in an advertisement for the architectural firm in the same issue.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2006, 4:28 AM
Rathdrum

has anyone read about the proposal for the ymca land in riverfont. a developer has offered 5.3 mil for the site and plans to construct 12-13 stories on the site starting in 2008

Old Posted Jul 14, 2006, 4:49 PM

A couple of new articles about goings on in Spokane. The first is in the journal of business about proposals for the lot south of the opera house. Sounds like the PFD is going to aquire it in the relatively near future, I just hope they take full advantage of the property and make it a true mixed use project rather than just having parking and convention space that, when not in use, sits empty. Of course, anything is better than the surface parking lot currently in place. The print article has a picture of two towers designed by the architect that owns some of the land. They probably don't fit with the PFD's plan but would certainly be an interesting addition to Spokane's current line-up of boxy taller buildings. http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...ticle&sub=2829

There was a little blurb in the S-R today that the Park Board is seeking more time to come up with the money to match the devloper's offer on the YMCA condo project. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2006, 6:34 AM
A before E

I personally would love to see a perfect example of mix use and parking for that entire block. It is key to connecting the convention center to the rest of the city and keep that block active when the convention center is quiet. In measuement size, it is a huge block, so that is a big chance for something great in the heart of the city......but I am guessing it will be squandered and argued over for years to come............hey, isn't the Rookery parking lot up for sale??

Old Posted Jul 15, 2006, 7:19 AM
Posh

Wow that would be a bummer if they turned the Flour Mill into offices, that's a pretty cool place.

Condos would be OK. Maybe they'll keep a couple of the lower floors as stores and make the rest condos and/or offices.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2006, 11:15 PM
Hub for an Empire

I read this JOB article about the plan to turn the former nursing home at 7th and Stevens into affordable Condos/Co-Op project! I thought it was interesting. Close to Pioneer Park and the Corbin House! Walkable distance to downtown and the hospitals too! Smaller projects like these will keep the Condo trend growing stronger in the CBD and make it possible for the middle class to join the trend! See attached article:

_____

Nonprofit plans co-op housing here Printer-Friendly Version
Roughly $7 million project will convert old nursing home near downtown

By Emily Brandler

Community Frameworks, a Spokane, nonprofit affordable-housing provider, has bought a building that formerly housed a nursing home on the South Hill near downtown, and plans to convert it into a cooperative housing project.

Community Frameworks bought the four-level, 24,000-square-foot building, at 424 W. Seventh, late last month from Edgar and Teresa Cleveland, says Scott Person, a real estate agent at Spokane-based Tomlinson Black Commercial Inc. Person and real estate agent Jeff McGougan handled the transaction. Community Frameworks bought the building, which formerly housed Garden Terrace Manor Nursing Home, for nearly $1.2 million, Person says.

The organization plans to develop a co-op project there, at a total estimated cost of roughly $7 million, including the building price, says Chris Venne, development finance manager at Community Frameworks. In such a development, tenants buy shares in a nonprofit co-op housing corporation, which owns and manages the building, Venne says. Those shares cover rent of the units and maintenance of the building, he says. Cooperative housing is prevalent in larger cities, but only a handful of co-ops currently operate here, he says.

Community Frameworks plans to help set up the co-op corporation, Venne says. It hopes to start remodeling the building next spring, and the project likely will take about 10 months to complete, he says. Cortner Architectural Co., of Spokane, is doing the preliminary design work for the project, he says.

Initial configurations show a total of 28 units, including one-bedroom units with about 600 square feet of space and two-bedroom units with 925 square feet of space, Venne says. The estimated prices for the ownership shares that would cover those units are expected to be about $90,000 and $130,000, respectively, he says.

Part of the remodeling project likely will include adding two or three stories to the building, he says. The expansion would add either 12 or 18 units to the development, and prices for those units probably would be slightly higher than those of the other units, he says.

Community Frameworks wants the units to be moderately priced, particularly for people who work downtown, he says.

“There’s so much revitalization going on downtown, but it’s either high-end condos or low-income housing,” Venne asserts. “What’s missing is moderately-priced ownership housing.”

Community Frameworks currently is working to secure financing for the project, he says. It expects to receive funds from the U.S. Federal Housing Administration, banks, and private investors.

Garden Terrace Manor operated here until April 2003, when the Washington state Department of Social and Health Services revoked the license of Cleveland Care Centers Inc., of Washougal, Wash. to operate the 61-bed facility. DSHS determined the nursing home was an imminent threat to the safety of residents. Seattle businessman John Robertson said last August he was planning to develop the building into medical-office buildings, but that project didn’t work out, Person says.

Contact Emily Brandler at (509) 344-1265 or via e-mail at emilyb@spokanejournal.com.

Last edited by Hub for an Empire; Jul 15, 2006 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 7:13 PM
Hub for an Empire

Nice to see the new Condo Tower announced in downtown (See separate thread)!

Did anyone read the article in yesterday's Business Section of the Spokesman about Trader Joe's looking a three properties in downtown for a store?
The first site is the China Restaurant on 3rd Ave. The Second Site is at the Havermale Place in the eastern area of downtown and the last site is the Executive Court (former Ridpath Motel) site on 1st Ave.
I would think the last site would be the best location, since it is centrally located in downtown , plus with the new announcement for the tower....makes it more logical!

Things are really happening in downtown! Nice to see!

Last edited by Hub for an Empire; Jul 27, 2006 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 10:46 PM

So a quick recap off the top of my head on proposed mid and highrise towers (feel free to add/delete and otherwise correct):

-Vox Tower 32 floors (permitting phase)

-Riverside/Peaceful Valley condo 17 floors (litigation)

-YMCA site 15 floor condo (pending possible park board purchase of property)

-Howard street 15 floor condo (proposed)

-Davenport Tower 19 floor hotel (under construction)

In theory, five new towers of 15 floors or more could be built in the next 2-5 years, pretty impresive considering the lack of vertical building in Spokane for much of the recent past.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 12:29 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ There is that possible Condo Highrise at West Terrace on the other side of the Sunset Bridge. I think that is at 13 Stories, but it is running into problems with planning I heard.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 12:30 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ There is that possible Condo Highrise at West Terrace on the other side of the Sunset Bridge. I think that is at 13 Stories, but it is running into problems with planning I heard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West