HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 7:10 PM

The museum is still in the works. Our congressmen decided to try to get more funding for it by trying to have a Hurricane Center incorporated into the project as part of what I would call pork barrel legislation. For that reason the project was put on hold until the fate of the center was decided. The center was just recently killed in Congress. The site has been cleared(which was a project in its own due to asbestos), but sadly construction has not started. You may want to check out the awesome exhibit on Pompeii at the Exploreum downtown though. The Museum of Mobile is located on the same block. All within a block of Alabama' new tallest skyscraper and the refurbished Battle House Hotel. Sorry we didn't get that museum done in time for your visit.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 9:43 PM

they are putting some of the exibits in at the airport until the museum is built. thats good sign that it is still on.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 3:12 AM

~6 hours until the big announcement. Hoping we get some good news with our coffee in the morning.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 4:34 AM
surely you're not serious

Yeah... and I'll be here in Baton Rouge overnight tonight so bad news here is good news for Mobile.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 12:26 PM
Witty comment fail

It's Mobile.

Good for Mobile. Good for Alabama.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 12:47 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Congrats to Mobile County!

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:44 PM
surely you're not serious

News story from here in Baton Rouge:
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/breaking/7458542.html

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 6:35 PM

musicisright,hey have you took any pics of the rsa/battlehouse?if so please post.luv your pics

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 7:17 PM

Thank you, pboo.

Yeah, they're here, in the RSA Tower thread.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 1:30 PM

From the Press Register
Twenty-two of the 24 lofts have sold at the Mattress Factory at 412-416 Dauphin St., which should open next month, according to Lydia Craft of REMAX Partners . The units were priced in the $140,000s a year ago, and some have resold in the $220,000s, she said. The investors kept two units for themselves, she said.

White-Spunner Construc tion has begun work on the $830,000, 9,000-square-foot spa and fitness center on the top of the nine-story RSA Battle House Tower parking deck at 55 N. Water St., according to court records. The parking deck was funded by the Retirement Systems of Alabama.

A three-bedroom suite in the Battle House, a Renaissance Hotel , has been named the Al St. Clair Suite , in honor of St. Clair, who worked with the city to bring the RSA hotel and tower project here. St. Clair now manages the Al abama Cruise Terminal .

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:04 PM

you know it is nice that we have 2 big'major projects that will come online about the same time in 2010' racetrack' steelmill' awesome.....

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboo74 View Post
you know it is nice that we have 2 big'major projects that will come online about the same time in 2010' racetrack' steelmill' awesome.....

Thats the same time EADS and Austell will start production if they win their respective contracts.

The two I mentioned here will together will have an economic impact similar to the ThyssenKrupp.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 6:17 PM

Also I have some good news about Downtown related to ThyssenKrupp that was in some obscure article that I do not remember where.

TK, is a Debt-Free company (thus giving it a price premium on wall st) and they wanted to stay that way so they freakin turned down Alabama's incentive offer of $900m in tax-free bonds.

This has major implications for downtown because downtown had several tens of millions dollars worth of projects apply for these bonds but they were being reserved for TK. Most of these projects (couple dozen I think) would not get off the ground without this "subsidized financing". It is almost a sure thing now that they will get the bonds, if they still want them, since (to my knowledge) there is not anything major lined up to use them.

But there is no way we can allocate $900m just to downtown, so we need to find out a new place to use them before the GO zone expires. I hope we can use these bonds to 1)revitalize downtown 2)bring in a new industry (non-heavy), maybe something hightech that can go towards diversifying us away from steel, boats, snowbirds, and planes. Allocation to a developer who wants to build a research park is the ideal use.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:54 PM

The state's red headed step child !

Hey I got a idea! ALL of South Mobile County from the Mississippi state line to Dog River looks like a red-headed stepchild in all of this. Most of the money from the hurricane fund needs to go toward the people south of Hwy 90. The money was instead used for the steel mill.(WHICH IM THRILLED ABOUT) But as was posted earlier was not needed. At the least the county/state needs to finsh the road from I-10 to Bayou La Batre(whats left of it) to boost the economy and a quicker way out if a storm comes

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
Also I have some good news about Downtown related to ThyssenKrupp that was in some obscure article that I do not remember where.

TK, is a Debt-Free company (thus giving it a price premium on wall st) and they wanted to stay that way so they freakin turned down Alabama's incentive offer of $900m in tax-free bonds.
The "obscure article" you might be referring to is one in the print edition of the Tuscaloosa News the other day, as Tuscaloosa is the northeasternmost county within the GOZone.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 11:28 PM

^Oh yes

T-town stands to benefit from that greatly. Though, t-town really does not need it.

Midtown Village was constructed because of that funding though, it was said to happened because of the funding, and would have fell through without it.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 3:19 AM
Mobile, Alabama

This is good news for the Maritime Center, I guess.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonCity251 View Post
This is good news for the Maritime Center, I guess.

What is? The Go Zone funding TK left?

If so, thats not the case in this very specific instance, b/c the center would have to be built with direct government funding. The incentives TK dropped were just the right to issue bonds that are tax free (like fed. gov. debt)........ thus reducing the rate of interest by the tax rate.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 6:08 AM
Mobile, Alabama

Here is that article...

GO Zone aid sought downtown

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

By KAIJA WILKINSON
Business Reporter

A new, 540-space parking deck, a seafood shipping operation and a Forte Conde bed-and-breakfast are just a few of the projects that could emerge downtown with the aid of hurricane relief financing program.
The Downtown Mobile Alliance, with the support of the mayor's office, seeks $44.4 million in tax-exempt Gulf Opportunity Zone Act bonds to help finance 28 projects worth more than $141 million.

There's a rub, however; the state has already allocated its entire $2.2 billion in GO Zone lending to other projects, including nearly $1 billion held for what state officials have called a major economic development project near Mobile.
"At this point there's no allocation remaining," acknowledged David Calametti, business development manager for the alliance, who has worked to group several smaller projects into the one large GO Zone application. "It's all committed."

But the alliance, the city and members of the Downtown Redevelopment Authority, which would issue the bonds, believe the bonds could eventually become available, Calametti said.

And the idea to group the projects, a notion brewing since spring, has spurred landowners and developers "to put pen to paper" to come up with creative ways to use property, he said.

Chances are most of the projects will happen even if they don't end up being financed by GO Zone bonds, he said. The alliance is also educating downtown developers on other incentives that can be used either in place of, or in addition to, the tax-exempt bonds.

Larry Posner, who has renovated nine of 13 city-owned buildings in Fort Conde, praised Calametti's "ferreting out all the possibilities," which included tax credits and taxable bond financing.

Posner's newest plan is to transform a historic building on St. Emanuel Street in Fort Conde into a bed and breakfast or boutique hotel at an estimated cost of $5 million, but backers have been scarce thus far.

"No one will lend me money," he said, adding that some banks were willing to make a loan if he created more office space.

"But I don't think we need any more offices downtown right now," he said.
Still, Posner said his project does not hinge on getting GO Zone financing. "I believe I will be able to proceeds on this," he said. "I essentially believe I will be able to provide collateral for the bank so they will loan on the project."
The parking deck, which is proposed at 2 N. Royal St., is one of five separate projects proposed by David Constantine. The seafood operation, to be called The Hillery Fish & Seafood Co., would be on St. Michael Street and could mean 10 new jobs.

The Downtown Mobile Alliance is a partnership of the nonprofit Main Street Mobile Inc. and the management corporation formed last year to run the city's business improvement district.

Calametti met with members of the Mobile Redevelopment Authority on Monday, hoping to have them sign off on the joint request so it could be sent to the governor's office. Several authority members could not attend, however, so the matter was continued and another meeting will be scheduled.
No one in attendance at the Monday meeting said they expected any opposition to the plan.

"Our package is all ready to go," Calametti said. "This is the easy part."
Congress late last year approved the Gulf Opportunity Zone Act of 2005, touting its tax credits and economic development programs as a way to boost economic recovery from Hurricane Katrina in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Under the law, Alabama can approve up to $2.1 billion in tax-exempt "GO Zone" bonds over the next five years. Tax-exempt bonds typically carry lower interest rates.

Alabama Development Office Director Neal Wade said the current GO Zone financing allocations are not set in stone. Rather, the governor's decision to reserve $900 million in bonds is a "place holder" that would allow the ADO to use up to $900 million as incentives on any one of three major projects he declined to name.

State Finance Director Jim Main said in August that the $900 million was being held to lure a major prospect to Mobile, promising that the deal could be larger than the Mercedes assembly facility in Tuscaloosa County.
Main declined to name the company, but in August, ThyssenKrupp AG said it would build a $3 billion steel complex in the southern U.S. and identified Alabama, Arkansas and Louisiana as places it was shopping for sites.
Wade said Tuesday that the state could dedicate the $900 million in bonds to "one project, several projects or not use it at all."

Calametti said that, like anyone in Mobile, he wants the city to land giant deals such as the Northrop Grumman-EADS North America tanker assembly plant (already promised $255 million in GO Zone bonds) and ThyssenKrupp. But the downtown redevelopment projects that seek GO Zone financing, he said, offer a relatively big bang for the buck.

The projects collectively would create about 330 permanent jobs, not to mention about 800 during construction, Calametti said.

© 2006 The Mobile Register
© 2006 al.com All Rights Reserved.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:17 AM

Parking deck at 2 N Royal?

ugh eeewww

Thats not the place, nor does the place have a need with the city deck a few feet away.

Thats a good spot for a office or mixed use building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast