HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 4:29 AM

With that Speedy so prominent in it, the shot is almost as colorful as a typical St. John's view.

Plus, that Speedy building's a lot nicer than the Rooms, so bonus points there for Waterloo over its colorful rival.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 5:07 AM

Signalhillhiker will appreciate

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Not the most flattering of angles, but point taken.

'Performance exhaust!' Yes, this is the world we've created.
It could be the most flattering angle in the world and the clutch of student apartment towers that have sprung up over the last few years would still be ugly as hell. The whole area really needs to be seen to appreciate how bad it is.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It could be the most flattering angle in the world and the clutch of student apartment towers that have sprung up over the last few years would still be ugly as hell. The whole area really needs to be seen to appreciate how bad it is.
Some of the architecture I've seen in pictures of Kitchener, e.g, the City Hall, looks great. I've always thought that that building is fantastic. Seeing all these ugly buildings in this shot of Waterloo - a place with such a renowned university and business history among other things - just screams of the contempt of developers for people who actually live there.

The attitude of the money-grubbing people who put these things up doesn't really surprise me as they will invariably do this when they can get away with it. What is a disappointment is that cities - and this happens everywhere obviously but seems really badly the case in this picture - let them get away with it when they could demand better, and reflect the city better.

Last edited by beatlesque; Aug 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesque View Post
Some of the architecture I've seen in pictures of Kitchener, e.g, the City Hall, looks great. I've always thought that building is fantastic. Seeing all these ugly buildings in this shot of Waterloo - a place with such a renowned university and business history among other things - just screams of the contempt of developers for people who actually live there.

This attitude of the money-grubbing people who put up these things doesn't really surprise me as a lot of them will invariably do this when they can get away with it. What is a disappointment is that the city - and this happens everywhere obviously but it seems really badly the case with these recent commie blocks - lets them get away with it when it could demand better, and reflect the city better.
Waterloo has some wonderful architecture (CIGI, Cdn Clay and Glass Museum, Balsillie School, Perimeter Institute are all GG award winners), and the Uptown area has improved greatly, but the student ghetto in the Northdale neighbourhood is awful. New plans are in place that should lead to improvements over time and, hopefully, make for a more liveable neighbourhood.

Meanwhile, I heard from a reliable source just last week that one of the biggest obstacles to UofWaterloo's recruitment of world-class academic talent has become the sorry built environment of both the university (some good buildings but a cluttered, over-crowded campus that desperately needs a plan to pull it all together) and the City. If true, that's an issue with national implications, given the level at which UofW now operates.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Waterloo has some wonderful architecture (CIGI, Cdn Clay and Glass Museum, Balsillie School, Perimeter Institute are all GG award winners), and the Uptown area has improved greatly, but the student ghetto in the Northdale neighbourhood is awful. New plans are in place that should lead to improvements over time and, hopefully, make for a more liveable neighbourhood.

Meanwhile, I heard from a reliable source just last week that one of the biggest obstacles to UofWaterloo's recruitment of world-class academic talent has become the sorry built environment of both the university (some good buildings but a cluttered, over-crowded campus that desperately needs a plan to pull it all together) and the City. If true, that's an issue with national implications, given the level at which UofW now operates.
Excellent points - and the fact that there are those great buildings demonstrates even more what a place like Waterloo could demand (especially in comparison to other places which I imagine are more desperate for development at any cost). I think developers often treat a place as it allows itself to be treated, living up or down to that. The resulting built environment then has very tangible consequences as you describe.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 3:19 PM

Remimds me of this used car lot taking up both sides of Jasper Ave in downtown Edmonton. Incredible how it sucks the soul right of that section of the city. Even when they're not being driven, cars are detrimental to a city's urban fabric.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
Remimds me of this used car lot taking up both sides of Jasper Ave in downtown Edmonton. Incredible how it sucks the soul right of that section of the city. Even when they're not being driven, cars are detrimental to a city's urban fabric.
The irony, if you are speaking of Waterloo, is that the problem is not that strip in the foreground, which is what you'd find in similar areas anywhere, but rather much of the high-rise development in the background (and you don't even want to know about the mid-rise garbage between those towers and the university).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 4:57 PM
I am a typical

Honestly, it's easier to ignore commieblocks than those things. It's like they can't decide if they want to look like shit, or like crap.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 6:25 AM

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 3:26 PM

I love this view of Hamilton, it's not posted enough...

Blue Waters by Ray Love www.facebook.com/raylovephotography/, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 3:31 PM

^ Very nice hamilton shot! It's very rare to see the city (and it's skyline) full-frontal rather than from behind

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekSoundGuy View Post
Waterloo Skyline by dereksoundguy, on Flickr

Waterloo slowly building a skyline
That muffler joint totally makes the picture.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:52 PM
arf

It's certainly the cleanest looking thing in the picture.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:53 PM

Swiss chalet to the right isn't all that bad either.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 7:32 PM

If you could do a 360 degree pan, you'd see that the Speedy is one of the prettier bits of that stretch of Weber St. It's like the Waterloo (look at all our shiny high tech!) that they don't want you to know about.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 7:38 PM
Website Manager

It's the most architecturally attractive building in the photo!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 8:11 PM

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 10:57 PM

Another view of Waterloo's emerging skyline, with Kitchener's in the distance

Last edited by Kong Tower; Aug 18, 2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: picture url wasn't working

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 11:56 PM
ARTchitecture

That steeple pic is amazing David!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada