HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Is this similiar to your Roll out for community boxes for Elmwood question in construction? Did you use Google?

Edited: For clarity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

Also noted a community mailbox pad being constructed on Munroe. Is Elmwood next?

Last edited by Cyro; Jul 30, 2014 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 7:00 PM

Not sure how long ago this occured, but Unburger in osborne village has renamed itself Nuburger.

Apparently a lot of people assumed it was a vegatarian burger joint due to the name.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Not sure how long ago this occured, but Unburger in osborne village has renamed itself Nuburger.

Apparently a lot of people assumed it was a vegatarian burger joint due to the name.
Ya it was a couple of months ago. Apparently they started with an agency to do a complete rebrand, then decided just to switch the first two letters haha.

I had a friend that worked there and said they got vegans in who actually got mad numerous times that it was misleading.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:

I had assumed that too, with Boon being a big craze at the time and the name. It wasnt until that story about Rob Lowe eating there and complaining about his sports being preempted by North Dakota election results. That i saw what he had for dinner. Saw it was Nuburger on Canada Day and thought i was losing my marbles swearing it was Unburger before.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 2:34 AM

New A&W being built by the Dairi-Wip on Marion

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
New A&W being built by the Dairi-Wip on Marion
A&W seems to be really expanding/updating in Winnipeg. They're also building another one on west Portage that's like 2 blocks away from an existing one... that has been renovated recently......

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 5:11 AM

Funnily enough the non food court A&W in Polo Park has shut down. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Always found it a bit odd having two in the one mall. It's not like its a huge mall.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Funnily enough the non food court A&W in Polo Park has shut down. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Always found it a bit odd having two in the one mall. It's not like its a huge mall.
Don't forget the A&W restaurant across from Polo Park.

I prefer the restaurant location over the Polo Park stores since they serve their cold drink in frosted mugs.

I wish A&W kept by the location by the Bay instead, since I found it to be more quiet and private.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
A&W seems to be really expanding/updating in Winnipeg. They're also building another one on west Portage that's like 2 blocks away from an existing one... that has been renovated recently......

That existing one @ 3095 Portage Avenue while still open has been up for lease for a year if not longer. http://cushwakeretail.com/listings/3095-portage-avenue/

Its too bad this one is going as this was the location of the first A&W in Canada.

But I guess like the location of the first McDonalds in Winnipeg (Narin Av) the leases come up at the end of the franchise period,and if renewal is too expensive they move elsewhere or close down.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:40 PM

City Place Subway

The Subway in the City Place food court has been closed for weeks with a "temporarily closed" sign. Anyone know what is going on here?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:25 PM

Not sure if its a franchisee / franchisor dispute but about 1 month ago I saw a district manger type taking inventory of what was there.

Subway owns the lease and subleases it to the owner so its costing them money not to have somebody operate it.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:58 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
The Subway in the City Place food court has been closed for weeks with a "temporarily closed" sign. Anyone know what is going on here?
They got evicted because of a lack of lease payments. I was there the morning that the Sheriff's department locked them out.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 9:05 PM

Hmm. A subway did open semi-recently in the skywalk of the former Canada Post building. I would assume that would have negatively affected business to some extent.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Hmm. A subway did open semi-recently in the skywalk of the former Canada Post building. I would assume that would have negatively affected business to some extent.
There are a LOT of Subways downtown... apart from the former Cityplace one, there are several others no more than a few blocks away... Canada Post Centre, MTS Centre, Lakeview Square, Graham and Edmonton, Broadway and Carlton, Portage Place... am I missing any? That was 7 alone in a tiny area not even counting the ones closer to Portage and Main... not great if you're a franchisee.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:27 AM

wasnt a fan of the cityplace or polo park subway locations. I didn't like how they had more than 1 person touching my sub as it was being made. 1 person cutting bread, 1 adding meat, 1 for veggies, etc.

Not sure if they did that cuz they were busy, but those are the only 2 places ive seen do that.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
wasnt a fan of the cityplace or polo park subway locations. I didn't like how they had more than 1 person touching my sub as it was being made. 1 person cutting bread, 1 adding meat, 1 for veggies, etc.

Not sure if they did that cuz they were busy, but those are the only 2 places ive seen do that.
I have seen that at lunch and dinner. Speeds up the flow to the cash register. As long as they keep their gloves on and don't touch anything else but their station there should be no problem.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post

That happens at every subway unless your going to one at 10 pm in a suburb.

There's also A subway beside the chamber of commerce, on Princess, in the Balmoral hotel, across from UofW....

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 6:25 PM

At one time there was a person in Winnipeg that owned a number of them so it didn't matter too much if another one opened as it was probably one of his and the profits still came to him.

Not sure if he still has the large number of stores or sold some of them off to invest in other things.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 7:13 PM

We were talking about this a while back how so many fast food and quick service restaurants are starting to come here from the states, but Winnipeg has pretty high tastes/expectations...

The Taco Del Mar across from HSC has already been shut down (barely lasted a year), Woody's BBQ on Pembina lasted 10 months, KFC/Taco Bell on Pembina is gone. The only new one that's good and busy is Qdoba (Polo).

Honestly, thank god... sure it's not good when businesses shut down, but we don't need that crap.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
We were talking about this a while back how so many fast food and quick service restaurants are starting to come here from the states, but Winnipeg has pretty high tastes/expectations...

The Taco Del Mar across from HSC has already been shut down (barely lasted a year), Woody's BBQ on Pembina lasted 10 months, KFC/Taco Bell on Pembina is gone. The only new one that's good and busy is Qdoba (Polo).

Honestly, thank god... sure it's not good when businesses shut down, but we don't need that crap.
I noticed the Modern Taco location on Academy has since closed. They've still got the new location at Grant Park, but I wonder if the 'authentic' taco/Mexican trend is beginning to wane.

Taco Del Mar is owned by Subway, so I suspect they'll be alright in the long run - especially with the new model stores having both in a stand-alone location - but I wonder about the overall trend and smaller players. Modern Taco looks like a place that's being designed to be franchised...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan