HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 3:04 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

photoLith, you have created a ton of original and memorable photo threads, and your hard work and contributions are much appreciated. This thread is visually powerful and thought-provoking precisely because of how much potential there is in the dilapidated rowhouse areas, which seem almost certain to eventually become stable and vibrant.

The way cities are visually portrayed is of particular interest to fans and residents, and showing a city's less desirable side can be a touchy matter for some. That said, no forumer gets to dictate what parts of a city other forumers may photograph, or indulge in personal attacks on the photographer (or attacks on an entire city in which he resides) for non-conformity with the preferred imagery.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 12:05 AM

What kind of camera do you use?? (joking!)

Brilliant thread. Good, bad, and in between. It's all part of the story. A haunting look at some streets few of us will see after dusk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I've suggested this before and I'm saying it again - instead of posting the 'drive by' shots, take the same effort and time to research the context of these hoods - how they started, how they grew, when they started to decline, what keeps them from improving, and share that and your views on that. You're a talented photographer but simply 'showing us what you see' of an area so rich in history without providing any context is gimmicky at best.
Geez, man, it's a photothread not a dissertation. Is he supposed to spend all of his time at the Maryland Historical Society pouring over microfiche? "Showing us what you see" describes 99% of the threads on here, including most of the really good ones.

Two pieces of unsolicited advice, Photolith:
1) Keep doin' it. Don't listen to the complainers.
2) Careful about overly leading/negative thread titles, such as "Bombed Out...". We all know that they generate a lot of views, but they also bring the aforementioned critics out.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 12:18 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Anyhow I'm greatly looking forward to Photolith's next threads - maybe an epic east coast journey with stopovers in Easton, Stroudsberg, New Hope, Allentown, DC, Frederick, Philly, Lancaster, Asbury Park/Ocean Grove, York PA, and Cape May?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:09 AM
Ex Houstonian

Cape may, I'll get there someday. I've always wanted to see all the beautiful Victorians there. Plus it's one of the nations best migratory birding locations.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Why is that pathetic? A couple of these hoods are some of the most dangerous in America. You have to be watching your back 24/7 on some of these streets because people will do stupid stuff for 7 grand worth of camera gear.
You missed my point. It is pathetic that in America you are called brave for simply taking a picture somewhere because we have allowed parts of our cities to become THAT dangerous.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:20 AM
Ex Houstonian

I think every city in the world pretty much has those areas though. Beijing had them when I lived there, rio had them, London has them, and hell even paris has some pretty sketchy areas.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 2:44 PM

I went to Baltimore 2 weeks ago and I have to commend photoLith for capturing the feel that you get when you visit. I think he captured the experience of the first time you go and look around the city off of the typical beaten path. The first thing I noticed when I got to Baltimore was how nice the everything is in the Inner Harbor, Little Italy and Fells Point. Then I made a right onto N Broadway and went to E North Ave and made a right towards the Baltimore Cemetery. I think this thread does a great job capturing that experience. The important thing to remember is the density levels in the rougher parts of Baltimore are still in the 10,000-30,000 ppsm range. There is a large number of people that live in these areas giving it a unique feel. Point Breeze in Philadelphia has a similar feel to it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I think every city in the world pretty much has those areas though. Beijing had them when I lived there, rio had them, London has them, and hell even paris has some pretty sketchy areas.
I never saw one in Japan, although I know it may be the exception.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 12:09 PM
Ex Houstonian

Surely there has to be some rough hoods in Japan.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 11:16 PM

I enjoy your threads, keep it up. Although it would've been nice to have more shots of North Buffalo neighborhoods (Elmwood ave) in that last Buffalo thread..

Baltimore is such a raw looking place, many of those areas remind me of Philadelphia. Some of those shots look straight out of gangs of new york, very 19th century. I like.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 2:42 AM

yea photoLith come do us in York, PA, it's downtown core is in tack and represents a 300 year history span. Unfortunately the store fronts suffer the same plight of many cities in the region and across the country. Cars, malls, crime (drugs), parking....people did not like too walk too far from there car, helped create the current dead zone. But there has been a slight up swing in population in York and other cities like Baltimore and Philadelphia, along with new business and housing......You will be pleasantly surprised, there are many building types and periods represented.......York was a true outpost at one time. It was the first city west of the Susquehanna River, a major land barrier. That is what stopped two armies durning wars in the US and helped keep York safe and our nation....

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 5:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

York, PA will be way down the line on things I need to see. I still havent been to Philly or Boston, hell I havent even been to Cleveland yet and thats just two hours away.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 6:52 PM

I don't see why some people are whining about these excellent photos. PhotoLith's pictures are as good as anybody's on SSP.

Great set man.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos