HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
That sucks.

I dunno who was promoting that place, but it should have thrived. Yes the forks is sometimes to busy, but great food and nice location. I hope whatever replaces it gets momentum.

It's annoying that beachcombers does better, and that place is a real life example of "bare minimum" when it comes to realizing it's potential.
They did really well for years but never really updated or refreshed the place. Being stagnant kills restaurants.

As for Beachcomber I know The Forks is desperately trying to get them out but unfortunately the old retail manager YEARS back signed an unfavourable lease with them that gives the tenant the option to extend every few years and right now they have no legal grounds to force them out. Only way would be for them to convince them not to renew.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
^^^
Wasnt this going to happen?

Wow. If the render is that offensive I can’t even imagine how ugly the real thing would have been.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
As for Beachcomber I know The Forks is desperately trying to get them out but unfortunately the old retail manager YEARS back signed an unfavourable lease with them that gives the tenant the option to extend every few years and right now they have no legal grounds to force them out. Only way would be for them to convince them not to renew.
There was a time, if I remember correctly, that the Beachcomber was actually a Branagins and they actually operated 2-3 different restaurants at The Forks and many elsewhere in the city. While that lease might be viewed as unfavourable now if it had helped fill what were otherwise going to be empty and difficult to fill places at the time it could have been a smart move.

As for what options The Forks has, they could likely also buy out the current lease if they wanted. The challenge is that is likely not a cheap option to pursue.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:46 PM

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
That sucks.

I dunno who was promoting that place, but it should have thrived. Yes the forks is sometimes to busy, but great food and nice location. I hope whatever replaces it gets momentum.

It's annoying that beachcombers does better, and that place is a real life example of "bare minimum" when it comes to realizing it's potential.

Who keeps propping up the egos of those people producing such masturbatory designs? Like, be "out there" but be good at it.
Too bad indeed. Sydney's had reliably excellent food and service (no "How's that first bite tasting?" there) and what looked to be a regular business clientele, and it's prix fixe menu was a great deal -- and their foie gras was absolutely superb. In it's time it was one of the few places in town that looked, felt and tasted like a high-end joint in a big city. I wonder if the recent resto boom in the Exchange and the Bagshaw concept factory meant it was no longer sustainable. A sad end for a very classy joint.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkawall View Post
Too bad indeed. Sydney's had reliably excellent food and service (no "How's that first bite tasting?" there) and what looked to be a regular business clientele, and it's prix fixe menu was a great deal -- and their foie gras was absolutely superb. In it's time it was one of the few places in town that looked, felt and tasted like a high-end joint in a big city. I wonder if the recent resto boom in the Exchange and the Bagshaw concept factory meant it was no longer sustainable. A sad end for a very classy joint.
I’m confused by why you equate excellent service with not asking how the meal is.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Cool. Kinda like burger week, but with fried chicken.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:39 PM

Speaking of fried chicken, the Seasons development near Outlet Collection Winnipeg, updated their tenant list, it includes a Popeyes Chicken location.

And yes it’s just a chicken place, and yes it’s not that great, yes there’s probably something better you can get at a local restaurant... and we don’t know why Winnipeg needs another chicken place and lastly no one is forcing you to go. I think I covered it all.

ITS NOT OPEN YET, BUILDING STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION. GOODNESS.

Last edited by pegcity; Jan 21, 2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Ugh ugh

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
Speaking of fried chicken, the Seasons development near Outlet Collection Winnipeg, updated their tenant list, it includes a Popeyes Chicken location.
Where Link?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
It might be a future thing as I only see the logo on the leasing page and I can't find it on the actual directory of tenants unless I am looking in the wrong place.
There are two restaurant pad sites that do show pending lease, so it may be going in on one of them

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
It might be a future thing as I only see the logo on the leasing page and I can't find it on the actual directory of tenants unless I am looking in the wrong place.
There are two restaurant pad sites that do show pending lease, so it may be going in on one of them
Yeah it’s a future thing, it’s not open yet. The building is still under construction.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Where Link?
Popeyes

http://seasonswinnipeg.ca/pub/docume...e-Plan-web.pdf

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:18 PM

^^ Hopefully it is a Burger King/Popeye's/Tim Hortons combo location.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ Hopefully it is a Burger King/Popeye's/Tim Hortons combo location.
From what I have heard the parent company does not want to do combo locations. I guess it creates problems if they do decide in the future to spin off some brands.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 8:26 PM

^^ Wow. I guess Tim Hortons executives learned something from their time being owned by Wendy's.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:18 AM

Had the Nashville hot chicken last night at brazenhall. Delicious!!!! Their kitchen is doing beautiful things right now.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ Wow. I guess Tim Hortons executives learned something from their time being owned by Wendy's.
Apparently there are no Tim Horton's executives left over from the Wendy's merger. Restaurant Brands International came in soon after they did the buyout and reduced the number of Tim Horton's staff drastically and filled some of the positions with their own staff.

Globe and Mail has an article on what happened

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:12 PM

Cara Foods (Montana, Swiss Chalet, Harveys, etc) announced yesterday they have reached an agreement to purchase The Keg. The current team looking after The Keg brand, before the acquisition, will head up a new high end group for Cara which includes The Keg, Milestones, and other banners Winnipeg does not have. The local Kegs are all franchise owned however it is unclear if there will be any impacts from this deal.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:

And yes it’s just a chicken place, and yes it’s not that great, yes there’s probably something better you can get at a local restaurant... and we don’t know why Winnipeg needs another chicken place and lastly no one is forcing you to go. I think I covered it all.

ITS NOT OPEN YET, BUILDING STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION. GOODNESS.
Popeye's Chicken, just like Mary Brown'sis WAY BETTER than thus predictable chicken places. Crispier, juicier, more premium quality chicken meat and larger pieces, less greasy....for starters....................

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:52 PM

^^ Considering Popeyes, Burger King and Tim Hortons are the same company I wouldn't except much better than what you get from the company that brings you Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and KFC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan