HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 2, 2005, 4:53 AM

Maybe Tempe will allow towers over 500 ft?

The latest news from the most urban of Phoenix suburbs is that the city is now considering building height limitations. http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...24sat2-24.html

What seems to have grabbed the attention of residents and politicians is a request from Centerpoint's developer to increase the height of the three unbuilt condo towers in the project to 30 stories (one tower is approved for 22, the other two for 15 stories).

Yes, perhaps 30 stories might seem a bit overpowering for some, as there is yet nothing downtown even close to that height. However, if this project were perceived as an anchoring centerpoint for downtown Tempe, then maybe 30 stories could be the limit, with future projects stepped down in height from there.

With its desirable location and and escalating land prices, I see a significant mid- to high-rise corridor already shaping up along most of Tempe Town Lake. (Suncor recently announced the groundbreaking of their second office tower at Hayden Ferry Lakeside, to top out at 12 stories.)

Being landlocked, Tempe has a lot of reasons to continue going vertical. But the question remains--how urban and dense does this small city want to be in a metropolis notorious for suburban sprawl?

Last edited by kaneui; Oct 2, 2005 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2005, 11:29 PM
BANNED

Don, I've noticed you have quite a bit of information on Phoenix and it is all very informative. Thanks for sharing it!

Meanwhile, any word on plans to turn 15 E. Monroe into anything?

Also, whats the word on the Marriott and Embassy Suites projects? any updates?

I've also noticed that 44 W. Monroe has been at a standstill for quite a while now and cant help but wonder if it is due to the train construction going on 1st avenue. If you have any word on this as well that might be nice to hear if they are still going through with the project.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2005, 8:28 AM

More downtown towers?

Don B.,

I saw the following article regarding a proposed downtown hi-rise, but wasn't able to identify it on your list. Could this be another addition?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Oct 8, 2005, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Re: More downtown towers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui
Don B.,

I saw the following article regarding a proposed downtown hi-rise, but wasn't able to identify it on your list. Could this be another addition?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...ml?t=printable
At this point, it sounds like a pipe dream.

However, if it actually happens, and it is a Bruder design, I will forever be happy.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2005, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook

John, if this is the building on the SE corner of Central and Monroe, it will soon be a new boutique hotel for downtown:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...xhotel05.html#

Old Posted Oct 9, 2005, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui
Quote:

John, if this is the building on the SE corner of Central and Monroe, it will soon be a new boutique hotel for downtown:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...xhotel05.html#
They have been saying that for 5+ years.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2005, 12:35 AM

Quote:
They have been saying that for 5+ years.
Well, the latest proposal is coming from a fairly credible developer. Here's to hoping:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...threadid=88426

Old Posted Oct 10, 2005, 12:43 AM

+ Phoenix's newest development in the pipelines. A condo/ office/ retail superblock - to be heavily used by ASU - that will peak at 475 feet. Construction is planned to start in 2006:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...wntown-ON.html

Old Posted Oct 11, 2005, 2:26 AM

15 stories in Chandler?

Looks like Chandler might be the next 'burb to sprout a few high rises:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...vtowers10.html

Old Posted Oct 14, 2005, 8:30 AM

Here's a pic of the Chandler proposal:

Old Posted Oct 20, 2005, 2:59 AM

Chandler again: 400 new high-tech jobs on the way

Looks like Chandler's high-tech sector is getting another boost--a new $100M Covance Laboratories plant with 400 employees:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Oct 20, 2005, 4:07 PM
BANNED

Seems like Chandler is becoming nationally famous for high-tech industry.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 4:01 AM
BANNED

Looks like construction is finally starting on Metropolitan Lofts at 5th av. and Thomas.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 12:43 PM

^ I drive by it nearly every day, and things haven't seemed to change ?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelback_road
^ I drive by it nearly every day, and things haven't seemed to change ?
I live almost next door to it. There is a back hoe and a couple of other "tools" in the property.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 12:30 AM

/\ All there is now on site is a large pile of asphalt... I work in the blueish building directly southwest of that (on the 2nd floor) and that place seems it will forever be a building shell. Seems they work on it for 1-5 days doing piddly-shit, then it sits.

A couple other tidbits: I was at the Roosevelt neighborhood open house fair a couple weeks ago, and at the fair they had a few booths representing different companies. They had a big one with information about, and representatives from, Portland Place and another from 44 Monroe. I asked both when they were going to start construction. The Portland Place person was much more believable in her explanation, she said once they got permits to move the historic house and do a few other things, etc., they'd start construction in about a week or so (which seems to have happened).

The 44 Monroe guy seemed like a jackass, telling me that it's under construction now, as they've demolished an entire building on site. When I told him that's been over for months and nothing seems to have happened, he gave me some seemingly B.S. story like they're working on shoring on the walls right now (for several months?) and it just takes a long time and a lot of preparation before buildings can start to build vertically. I said "Alright, I'll see you later" and left.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 12:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31

The 44 Monroe guy seemed like a jackass, telling me that it's under construction now, as they've demolished an entire building on site. When I told him that's been over for months and nothing seems to have happened, he gave me some seemingly B.S. story like they're working on shoring on the walls right now (for several months?) and it just takes a long time and a lot of preparation before buildings can start to build vertically. I said "Alright, I'll see you later" and left.
There are issues with tying into the parking garage next door. kthxbye

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 1:01 AM
Skyriser

^ Had they not dismissed his questions, unlike the Portland Place representative--it'd be easier to believe them. They shouldn't get pissy with people when they ask a fairly legitimate question--it reeks of improprieties.

Nothing has moved on 44 Monroe for months. If they want to tell me with a straight face that a parking garage is holding them up like this--it would've been quicker to level the thing and start over--they should give me some reason to believe them.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2005, 11:22 PM

^I talked to a downtown real-estate pro the other night about 44 W Monroe, and other projects. He told me the hang-up with it is simply the public report, which generates from the state real-estate department, and is always much slower than one would hope for. Otherwise, he's quite confident about that project. He was also very excited about other projects in the pipeline. He's predicting a couple of new high-rise condo projects on Jackson Street since the Summit at Copper Square sold out.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2005, 11:33 PM
Skyriser

^ I'm certainly not ready to discount 44 Monroe quite yet--but the attitude others on this forum have gotten from them and the conflicting information (shoring up walls, tying into the garage, public report) for the cause of the delays makes me suspect something's up.

Delays are a normal part of the process, however. But if I don't see cranes in a few months I'm going to write it off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations