HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 10:01 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Interesting wording in the article. They left "due to fears" of losing funding, not an actual loss of funding. They either knew something definite was coming down from Abbot's office, or they're using this as an excuse to move the event to Charlotte or wherever.
Yeah...can't remember where I read it recently, but, ESPN/Summer X Games have a commitment problem. They've been to something like nine cities in the event's 20-year history.

Time to move to a new city...and the "fear of loosing funding" is absolutely an excuse to do so. Plus, I'm pretty sure Charlotte, Detroit and Chicago are more then ready to pony-up more money than they were getting in Austin.

Hate to see it leave. But, I'm not a fan of those "sports" anyway (even though some are interesting to watch...if it's on TV and I scan though a channel which may be airing it).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 10:55 PM

I'm quite sadden and disappointed how The XGames handle it. As a fan of extreme sports this is quite a let down do to the fact that they can't keep true to thier word. But I am however relieved that they will be staying in Austin this year. In which I may decide to go.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 11:06 PM

They're better off being like an annual traveling carnival anyway. It broadens their fan base taking it to different cities, and before there's an appreciable decline in attendance, move on. Can't say I'll miss it, but it would be cool if they held the event at different cities and put those cities on rotation so eventually they would return. Regardless, new events keep popping up, like the World Golf Championships Dell Match Play at the Austin Country Club. Huge event with a huge audience, and this one is sold out for the 5 day event.
I do think its critical that F1 races annually at COTA for many more years, because that's why there is a COTA, but if that goes away, they can always file for bankruptcy, tear up the track and re purpose the track as an amusement park or another Mueller.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:36 PM

Well they just lost another race, IMSA. Everyone who I have talked to that went last year said it was the worst IMSA race they have ever attended due to 1 food stand being open and the temps being in the 90's. I think this track needs new management.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:41 PM
Meh

Has anyone been to the 360 Amphitheatre? Where is the best place to park? My brother got free tickets from someone to see Chris Stapleton there tonight.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:11 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Has anyone been to the 360 Amphitheatre? Where is the best place to park? My brother got free tickets from someone to see Chris Stapleton there tonight.
I have, it was a nice experience. We took uber. Enjoy!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
I've seen a handful of shows there. It's pretty easy. I drive each time and there are NO parking issues at all...zero. Those shows should have no more than 10,000 or so...and COTA has got that down pat.

Austinites are spoiled and think if they can't park in the front row or if they had to slow down or God forbid stop for a second, that traffic is terrible.

I would never have gone down there for that Fireworks show, I knew that was going to be a shit show....cuz it was a free for all. For events, they have cops on the street and professional parking crew in the venue keeping everyone moving.

Have fun, that will be a great show.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
I attended my first concert at 360 Ampitheatre last month (Depeche Mode). Parking was easy. And you can either opt to walk from lots to the venue (a bit of a trek), or take one of the free trams, which is what we did on the way to the show.

Enjoy. We are now looking forward to next show there, which is on Halloween for LCD Soundsystem.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 3:31 PM

Anyone have this year's attendance for F1?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:48 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
Anyone have this year's attendance for F1?
That's what I want to know. Although not an accurate way to measure, watching the race on Sunday, it looked great in terms of attendance. There were areas filled with people in the grassy areas that I hadn't seen filled like that before and all the stands looked filled.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:52 PM

Before the race there was a Statesman article about the race and COTA, and Epstein was quoted as saying the attendance numbers wouldn't be announced this year. But I would think it would have to be made public if they are applying for state money like they do every year.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Before the race there was a Statesman article about the race and COTA, and Epstein was quoted as saying the attendance numbers wouldn't be announced this year. But I would think it would have to be made public if they are applying for state money like they do every year.
I wonder why he won't announce them? Considering how packed it was Sunday, you'd think they would jump at releasing the numbers.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Here's the highlights for those that didn't see the race.

https://youtu.be/aljfbhxtdyc

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I wonder why he won't announce them? Considering how packed it was Sunday, you'd think they would jump at releasing the numbers.
Apparently it's something other F1 circuits are doing now to avoid criticism about falling attendance, and COTA planned to follow suit. But if COTA had record attendance this year I wouldn't be surprised if COTA went ahead announced it.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:24 PM

This was my fourth year in a row going and it was crowded in my section (Turn 15) on both Saturday and Sunday. Not sure if more than last year but since they've been doing the big concerts on Saturday, it's made the weekend seem way more crowded. I thought the weekend went really well.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:28 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
This was my fourth year in a row going and it was crowded in my section (Turn 15) on both Saturday and Sunday. Not sure if more than last year but since they've been doing the big concerts on Saturday, it's made the weekend seem way more crowded. I thought the weekend went really well.
One thing we got going for COTA is how much you can see the track from many areas along the course. Something a lot of the other circuits do not have. I think it's made COTA one of the more popular tracks for people to go.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 2:29 AM
クラブトクヨ

Gayle King (Oprah’s best friend) was in Austin for F1 with her son who is a big fan and she posted many Austin highlights on her Instagram. Pretty cool!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 9:10 PM

COTA was packed for the race. I think with fewer actual seats and it more GA the people tend to wander more, likely why they added fan fun stuff for them to do this year more than any other.

I got to drive Lewis Hamilton to his autograph signing and my beaty eyes made into his Instagram Story in the rear view mirror, his brother sat next to me in the vehicle. I got to return Daniel Ricardo and Stoffel Vandorne to the Paddock after their autographs.

I had to drive the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders to the owners suites during the race time for photo ops and pics. I had to stand there and watch them as part security as we only had one officer along and they broke up into two groups. (i'm gay so the word HAD) lol

I saw Joseff Newgarten and heard Bill Clinton was there for a bit too.

A little bragging on my part but i love my volunteer job there!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
One thing we got going for COTA is how much you can see the track from many areas along the course. Something a lot of the other circuits do not have. I think it's made COTA one of the more popular tracks for people to go.
Before the track was completed, my son did some research and bought reserved seats on Turn 15. He says he can seen about 3/4 of the whole track from there (minus the grandstand straightaway).
He & his wife always have a great time at the races, and contribute heavily to the VIP tent revenue. lol

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
COTA was packed for the race. I think with fewer actual seats and it more GA the people tend to wander more, likely why they added fan fun stuff for them to do this year more than any other.

I got to drive Lewis Hamilton to his autograph signing and my beaty eyes made into his Instagram Story in the rear view mirror, his brother sat next to me in the vehicle. I got to return Daniel Ricardo and Stoffel Vandorne to the Paddock after their autographs.

I had to drive the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders to the owners suites during the race time for photo ops and pics. I had to stand there and watch them as part security as we only had one officer along and they broke up into two groups. (i'm gay so the word HAD) lol

I saw Joseff Newgarten and heard Bill Clinton was there for a bit too.

A little bragging on my part but i love my volunteer job there!
That's really cool!

My son, DIL, & some of their friends got to ride in the Tesla that was transporting people around to different areas of the track & grandstands Friday & Saturday. The driver punched the "gas" hard the first ride and almost gave everybody whiplash. lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin