HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

745 Thurlow in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Bentall 6

Wondering if this tower will be connected underground to the Bentall Centre...would be kind of cool to have them all connected underground.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 4:21 PM

?? This tower is nowhere near the Bentall Centre.

The only reason it is called Bentall Centre on this site is for lack of a better name... it will almost assuredly be marketed as its own building.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 6:59 PM

The fact that Bentall centre isn't even connected to Bentall Five aka The Bell Tower means there is no way in hell this will be connected. However, I could imagine that it could be connected thru the Royal Centre somehow.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 8:22 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It will have an at grade connection to Bentall Centre/Royal Centre and every other building dowtown.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
The fact that Bentall centre isn't even connected to Bentall Five aka The Bell Tower means there is no way in hell this will be connected. However, I could imagine that it could be connected thru the Royal Centre somehow.
Imagine all you want.

But come on, really?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 9:26 PM

Although it all comes down to cost, I think it is a bit near-sited of Bentall not to link all its five current towers, with a connection at Park Place. (Sorry, Bentall 6, you'll have to go it alone for a while) .... PROVIDED that sufficient space (over or under) is left for an eventual subway line under Burrard (yes, panel, I know this is the wrong thread, but it got me started). The possibility of a line under Burrard has been mentioned more than once, and a tied-in station linking Bentall and Park Place to a subway system, more ease of getting around, more "connectedness", the works.

Or am I wrong? (maybe it would draw all pedestrian life off street-level, leaving run-down stores and empty streets)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 9:57 PM
ON3P Skis

Vancouver isn't balls cold like Calgary or Toronto, so we don't really need a PATH or +15 system here. The rain can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but grab an umbrella or something. There is a much great chance of buildings getting taller than there is of an underground connected pedestrian system. Also, it would eliminate (or diminish) a level of underground parking making the parkade either deeper or more expensive (or both).

And while a Burrard Skytrain (say from Waterfront to Burrard & Broadway) would be nice, the fact that there is ZERO bus service period on Burrard south of Cornwall makes me think this isn't a possibility for a eons.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 2:15 AM

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't a deeper parkade be preferred in earthquake prone areas because the foundation is closer to the bedrock?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 9:57 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Vancouver isn't balls cold like Calgary or Toronto, so we don't really need a PATH or +15 system here. The rain can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but grab an umbrella or something. There is a much great chance of buildings getting taller than there is of an underground connected pedestrian system. Also, it would eliminate (or diminish) a level of underground parking making the parkade either deeper or more expensive (or both).

And while a Burrard Skytrain (say from Waterfront to Burrard & Broadway) would be nice, the fact that there is ZERO bus service period on Burrard south of Cornwall makes me think this isn't a possibility for a eons.

I see your point on many things, but I should perhaps clarify a bit. I wasn't thinking of anything like a PATH system or Montreal-type of anything. I was really thinking of tying that part of Vancouver into a "node."

As for the Skytrain continuing down Burrard - hey, that's absurd anyway.
Total agreement. But I was rather thinking instead of it maybe looping west, then under False creek then on to Arbutus, which I think, over time, will be another major transit "node." Not for a long time perhaps, but it might be good to start building as much infrastructure as we can, while we can.

Of course, there's the "profit lag" period to be considered - that time in which a project, if built too early, becomes a loss-leader through lack of use and revenue. Timing is everthing, and it's often a difficult thing to extrapolize upon, particularly regarding complex issues like the future of cities.

Regarding the parking, however, that is a real sticking point, as you say, and a toughie I cannot get my head around. Anybody got any ideas on this? (other than maybe moving it to another thread, or such?)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Oxford's downtown tower kicks off new round of constructionThe buildings, offering more than a million square feet of office space, will be welcome additions in an area with low office vacancy rates

Construction schedules for 745 Thurlow, the Aquilini building at 800 Griffiths Way and Telus Garden - which is part of a larger development that includes a 44-storey residential tower - have not formally been launched.

However, Telus has said it wants to see its new, 500,000-square-foot headquarters building complete by 2015. Telus is expected to occupy about half the space, leaving about 200,000 square feet available for lease.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...#ixzz1UJvQ2Bme

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 9:17 PM

Can't quite let the cat out of the bag, but I have reason to believe that we'll be hearing some (good) news on this development shortly.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Can't quite let the cat out of the bag, but I have reason to believe that we'll be hearing some (good) news on this development shortly.
Market chatter definitely heating up.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:29 AM
scared of rain

Hmmmm... Could it have any thing to do with this???

http://745thurlow.com/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:42 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I walked by last week and saw that they still had a lease sign up at the old liquor store (possibly looking for a month to month client). But now I'm hearing demo is scheduled for Oct of this year.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:44 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^^Probably.

With this, 1045(sic) Hastings and Telus, it's very possible that Vancouver could have three office towers rising at the same time. When was the last time that happened?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 1:32 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post

With this, 1045(sic) Hastings and Telus, it's very possible that Vancouver could have three office towers rising at the same time. When was the last time that happened?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was the early seventies:

Toronto Dominion Tower (1972)
Royal Centre (1973)
Granville Square (1973)
Bank of Montreal Tower (1974)

In terms of total space and height, the early seventies building boom was far superior to Hastings, Thurlow and Telus (assuming they get built).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 1:34 AM

Wow! The early 70's were a huge skyline game changer for Vancouver!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 1:43 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Wow! The early 70's were a huge skyline game changer for Vancouver!
The late seventies weren't bad either:

Scotia Tower (1977)
Harbour Centre (1977)

And let's not forget the early eighties:

Four Bentall Centre (1981)
Park Place (1984)

It's been all down hill since then. Since the end of the eighties, the only pure commercial tower that has been built in Vancouver is Five Bentall Centre. One tower in twenty-one years. That's it. The 90s and 2000s were the lost decades.

Last edited by Prometheus; Aug 24, 2011 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:13 AM
be nice to the crackheads

What about the Terasen Centre, BC Hydro Centre, the Douglas Jung Building and Crown Life Plaza?

They are all office towers that were built in the 90s-early 2000s.

Last edited by giallo; Aug 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:35 AM

don't forget cathedral place, built from 89 to 91.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver