HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 10:30 PM

They should have an In & Out, Fat Burger, Pinks, Kogi, Zankou Chicken, Roscoes, all LA institutions at LAX.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ LAX will have beautiful architecture.

Anyways, I hope the sky bridge is built. It would replace the Theme Building as the defining symbol of LAX.
Not that our airport needs defining symbols (our downtown needs it more), but the skybridge would be a nice addition. Still, it'll be hard to replace the Theme Building - it's classic.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
They should have an In & Out, Fat Burger, Pinks, Kogi, Zankou Chicken, Roscoes, all LA institutions at LAX.
There is something particularly satisfying about the pilgrimage to and the line outside of Pink's. I can't describe it, but I love it. It makes me appreciate it that much more. I'd hate to have Pink's diluted into a small stand outside of a Continental Airlines gate.

I'm with you on the rest though. In-n-Out ought to be in every terminal with TBIT getting 2 extra (1 right before immigration). NOTHING would make my flight back from Ghana better than an animal-style double double when I get off the plane.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 12:51 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

More photos...

From Flickr, by brettsnyder

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 6:03 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

Such an awesome design. I just think they can save a lot of money if they simplified the structure a little. Those trusses look pretty complex and material intensive.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 6:55 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ If the objective was to save money, then the sky-bridge would be the first thing cut out of the design. That would probably reduce the overall cost by 1/3.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 11:51 PM
BANNED

^how do you figure by 1/3rd? is there any basis for that estimate?

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 2:46 AM

F*** it. Make it expensive. Having a nice airport is an investment in the city and the metro area. US airports have a lot of catching up to do.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 4:46 AM
500 foot Groundscraper

I'm just thinking that planning on doing it expensive reduces the chances of it actually happening.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 5:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ This expansion of TBIT has been in the works now for over a decade. It has to be built. If they must cut back on the design to reduce the overall cost, then they'll do just that. Whatever it takes to make this project feasible.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 10:45 PM

Nice design, but the fugly Tom Bradley terminal is still there between the new concourses.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 12:20 AM
500 foot Groundscraper

I know that sucks. probably because they recently dumped money into it. maybe fix the roof a little?

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:35 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Yeah, it's unfortunate. I recently passed through TBIT and got the chance to see the cosmetic upgrades with my very own eyes -- they look pretty good, IMO. I wonder, though, if they could make some structural changes such as tearing down those oppressive walls to create a more airy check-in lobby.

Another thing I'm thinking is whether or not they could move all the ticketing counters to the new passenger processing facility and then proceed on with some sort of replacement of the existing TBIT. Knowing that baggage claim, customs, and access to the people mover will be located in the expanded TBIT core, I think it's possible.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 2:25 AM
Hed Kandi fan

This looks good, LAX facelift is long overdue

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 5:16 AM
500 foot Groundscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ Yeah, it's unfortunate. I recently passed through TBIT and got the chance to see the cosmetic upgrades with my very own eyes -- they look pretty good, IMO. I wonder, though, if they could make some structural changes such as tearing down those oppressive walls to create a more airy check-in lobby.

Another thing I'm thinking is whether or not they could move all the ticketing counters to the new passenger processing facility and then proceed on with some sort of replacement of the existing TBIT. Knowing that baggage claim, customs, and access to the people mover will be located in the expanded TBIT core, I think it's possible.
I agree the ticketing and check in desks are a vast improvement over the old ones. we were toured around in there and saw the main baggage control room and surveillance rooms. they have that HUGE temporary baggage sorting facility on the north side. they would probably have to do it again if they did anything with the old TBIT building.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 1:29 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Airport Commission Approves Contracts to Spruce Up LAX

By Art Marroquin, Staff Writer
May 18, 2009

The Board of Airport Commissioners on Monday approved more than $41.6 million worth of contracts aimed at sprucing up various areas of Los Angeles International Airport.

Among the deals approved by airport officials is a $23.7 million contract with Kone Inc. to replace 32 escalators and 16 elevators in various terminals.

The deal marks the first of a four-phase program aimed at eventually replacing 285 outdated or broken elevators, escalators and moving walkways at LAX by 2012. The unreliable equipment, installed 27 years ago, was supposed to have a 25-year life span, according to an airport report.

"It's no news to you, but a nonfunctioning escalator or elevator at LAX has become a regular sight," said Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports, the agency that operates LAX.

The commission also approved a $9.1 million contract with HNTB to develop an airport pavement management and design program at LAX, LA/Ontario International and Van Nuys airports.

The contract covers the first two years of a six-year plan aimed at modernizing the airport agency's layout and standards while also establishing a pavement rehabilitation program and providing pavement maintenance training to airport staff.

Under a law adopted in 1995 by the Federal Aviation Administration, airport agencies must have pavement maintenance programs to remain eligible for federal improvement grants. Costs to establish the program are eligible for reimbursement from the FAA, according to an airport report.

The panel also awarded a $7.3 million contract to Siemens Energy and Automation Inc. to operate and maintain a new baggage handling system in the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Siemens, which also manufactured and installed part of the system in March, will remain on contract until the entire baggage system is installed by the end of 2010.

About 50,000 square feet of new terrazzo flooring will be added in the Terminal 1 baggage claim area under the terms of a $1.5 million contract also approved by the commission.

The new flooring is part of a cosmetic touch-up that calls for new signs, lights and a fresh coat of paint in Terminals 1, 3 and 6, estimated to cost up to $5 million per terminal.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 1:38 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Looks like Metro is definitely studying the potential for an LAX Express. See page 13...

Project Update Meeting Presentation - April/May 2009 (English)

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 4:45 AM

excellent. looks like they are being very aggressive with it. i hope that it has its own dedicated line from Union Station to LAX and beyond. I would prefer no transfers for a line connecting to LAX.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:15 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Did you look at the presentation? It's made clear that there wouldn't be any stops.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:07 AM

Very ambitious...I hope it happens and I hope its rail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation