HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
nearly two grand a month for a 2br/2bath place in a building designed by accountants on a stroad next to a KFC...

... and yet building projects are being cancelled because you can't turn a profit

rates+inflation have created a really wild situation

In 30 months, that will be considered a deal.

By 2026, the average home price in Winnipeg will be $550,000

The average 2BR rental will be over $2,000/month

The GTA and BC are becoming unaffordable for the average Canadian, with rents at over $3,000/month for a 2BR. Many are moving to Calgary, where 2 BR rentals went from $1600 to $2150 in just 18 months. It's expected that prices will continue to soar for the next 3-4 years.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 6:08 PM

Nice article in today's Free Press about this stretch of Pembina

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...embina-highway

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlander View Post
Nice article in today's Free Press about this stretch of Pembina

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...embina-highway
I'm looking forward to seeing the 12 story on that corner. Pembina really is building up in the past few years. It's great to see more density.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 6:22 PM

It seems there's some real momentum for this area: long overdue. Lots of potential for redevelopment along Pembina north of the Jubilee underpass.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 6:39 PM

Quote:
It seems there's some real momentum for this area: long overdue. Lots of potential for redevelopment along Pembina north of the Jubilee underpass.
Now if only the Parkerlands concept would get out of development hell (and scrap the SFH).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Now if only the Parkerlands concept would get out of development hell (and scrap the SFH).
It’s a shame the land has sat idle this long, but at some point something’s got to get built there. I noticed a little gravel driveway and culvert off the road north of the transit station which seems fairly new— I wonder if it’s a sign of some movement her.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
It’s a shame the land has sat idle this long, but at some point something’s got to get built there. I noticed a little gravel driveway and culvert off the road north of the transit station which seems fairly new— I wonder if it’s a sign of some movement her.
Honestly, it may be a blessing disguise it took so long. If it's delayed until the new zoning is passed, they'll have no choice but to scrap the SFH and low density crap.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 7:16 PM

Let’s hope so.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 7:43 PM

They'll sue the City again and probably win. As the City has held them up so long with red tape, they are not to be bound by the new zoning regs. Or something like that.

By new regs though, are you talking about new Federal housing thing? I don't think it outlaws building lower density, does it? Just lets you build denser, especially in a TOD zone.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They'll sue the City again and probably win. As the City has held them up so long with red tape, they are not to be bound by the new zoning regs. Or something like that.

By new regs though, are you talking about new Federal housing thing? I don't think it outlaws building lower density, does it? Just lets you build denser, especially in a TOD zone.
As far as I'm aware, SFH would still be allowed to be built on this site, even after the new zoning bylaw passes. You are allowed to build SFH on R2 and RMF zones, it's just not very smart financially.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
As far as I'm aware, SFH would still be allowed to be built on this site, even after the new zoning bylaw passes. You are allowed to build SFH on R2 and RMF zones, it's just not very smart financially.
My mistake!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:55 PM

Coudn't they just apply for rezoning of the land to whatever they want it to be? The SFH proposed is by their choice, no?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 1:21 AM

1011 Pembina

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 2:49 AM

Quote:

1011 Pembina
Good stuff! I'm excited to see this one go up. I grew up in Fort Garry and still go there often, so I've been hearing lots of people talk about this development (and the other two nearby - the old Fort Garry Legion and the old Cambridge Hotel). A sign of changing times hopefully.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 3:01 AM

It's remarkable how the Point at Pembina and Windermere has completely changed that stretch already. Drive by at night or before sunrise and what was a desolate windswept corner looks full of life-- and I'm not sure that anyone has even moved in yet.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Good stuff! I'm excited to see this one go up. I grew up in Fort Garry and still go there often, so I've been hearing lots of people talk about this development (and the other two nearby - the old Fort Garry Legion and the old Cambridge Hotel). A sign of changing times hopefully.
Has the Cambridge Hotel closed? I know the Pembina Hotel was bulldozed last spring/summer.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 12:38 AM

Just took my empties to the Cambridge last week. It looks derelict but, I've seen lights on upstairs. Maybe just haunted. There's a leasing sign up for the old Vic's market building-- it seems that small building wasn't part of the Cambridge's redevelopment plans the last I knew.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 12:07 PM

It looks like there is a rail line between this area and downtown. Also would you consider this area to be a sub city centre?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 6:47 PM

The Cambridge still has the vendor, an operating bar / restaurant, and people living upstairs. I really hope now that the old Vic's property (which is pretty rough shape according to the previous tenants) gets included with the condo project and the new build is shifted to be entirely Pembina facing, instead of partially down Merriam with a big parking lot on Pembina.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 7:07 PM

I agree that it would be nice to see the Cambridge project redesigned to front Pembina and eliminate the parking lot there. Unfortunately one of the biggest blights along that stretch is the Shoppers which has a nice solid wall facing Pembina and then a very large parking lot right next to a smaller parking lot and Starbuck's drive-thru; Can't see this changing in my lifetime, but if really makes one wonder about City planning that would allow this kind of development that's so hostile to anyone not driving a car.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan