HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 10:02 PM
Closed account

NYT + Portland = BFF!

We have a style map in today's NYT Magazine...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...REGON_MAP.html

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 4:50 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

They need to add the new Portland Museum of Contemporary Craft to the map [DeSoto Project]. I went, and saw, and it was cool

http://www.museumofcontemporarycraft.org/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:47 PM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 9:40 PM

My, haven't we become their little darling.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:10 AM
A before E

so basically Portland is about to get flooded with New Yorkers by the butt load. Guess we whould build a big green monument in the Williamette to make them feel at home.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:41 AM

I was talking to a co-worker today, in Los Angeles, who recently relocated from his native NYC. Last month he visited Portland, Seattle and Vancouver (BC) for the first time. He loved Portland, liked Vancouver but did not care for Seattle. Interesting the number of times I've heard that down here in LA. Anyway, he said that Portland is a hot topic in NYC, and he visited because of all the rave reviews from his friends and the constant coverage in the NY Times. Now he wants to move.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:49 PM
Karma Police

Sounds like our well-kept secret is getting out to the masses. Like it or not, we've become the new "hip" place to be.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Like it or not, we've become the new "hip" place to be.
Even more reason for the city not to rest on its laurels and become self-satisfied. Best to appreciate the fickle media spotlight for what it is (hey, at least the rest of the country might not associate us with flannel anymore) and keep on quietly keeping on. I've been thinking hopefully lately of Portland and Seattle as the tortoise and the hare.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 11:29 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
so basically Portland is about to get flooded with New Yorkers by the butt load. Guess we whould build a big green monument in the Williamette to make them feel at home.
yea, we have been for like 3 years. Half the people I meet everyday are from NYC...

GO AWAY!!!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:03 AM

Naw, I really don't want them to go away. As the article states, people move here because of Portland and the direction it is moving. I think for the most part, these people are in tune with them. If you look at the other cities that are sharing the same amount of growth - Atlanta, Orlando, Vegas - you get an entirely different picture.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:02 AM

We need to roll out the welcome mat for enlightened people, like those profiled in the Times that have moved from NY. My hope is that it will force out (or at least better outnumber) the anti-transit, anti-downtown, anti-density local yokel hicks. You know the ones, they blog their venom on the Tribune's Web site.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:08 PM

Well i'll help counter those people next August

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 7:47 PM

Portland Praise - Article from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Portland's a breeze
By Nancy Miller
SPECIAL TO THE POST-DISPATCH
11/11/2007

PORTLAND, ORE. — Breathe deeply, now. You don't have to rush anymore. Really.

This city of fresh air, fresh ingredients and a refreshing way of living may be full of caffeine, steeped as it is in coffee shops, but the general demeanor is dialed way back. You'll see this as you watch the people pass by — on foot, on the streetcar or on one of the bicycles seen everywhere.

LAY OF THE LAND

The blue-jean city is laid out in quadrants, with the Willamette River dividing the eastern two from the western two. It's highly walkable: Blocks are short, and street names may be alphabetical, as in the northwest quadrant, or numbered. Certain districts — the Cultural District, the Pearl District, Chinatown, among them — are clearly marked. And the public transportation is highly evolved. You could probably get by without a car, except for excursions to the nearby Columbia River Gorge, the wine country or the Pacific Ocean, all about an hour or so away. Check out the user-friendly www.trimet.org/max for information on public transit, including Fareless Square, a large area with free rides. Advertisement

ABOUT THE WEATHER

The wet season extends generally from September until May, and residents say that means lots of drizzling and an overcast sky. Portland averages 36.3 inches a year (similar to St. Louis), with the worst of it in November through March. The optimum time to visit is summer, where even in early August the temperature was in the 50s at night and 70s in the daytime. The precipitation, plus Portland's sheltered position between the coastal range and the Cascade Mountains and its rich volcanic soil, keeps things green and grows a stunning variety of plants: Southern magnolias alongside majestic Douglas firs, for one. Even some of the flowers seem bionic.

WHAT ELSE?

— Portland, like the rest of Oregon, has no sales tax — great for figuring tips.

— Communal tables is a new restaurant trend, and restaurants revel in using locally grown ingredients.

— Polite Portlanders seem to show a real "after you" mindset, to pedestrians and to motorists.

— But perplexingly, they pronounce Couch Street "Cooch."

NORTHWEST QUADRANT

My first evening began at Meriwether's, a northwest quadrant restaurant said to have one of the best patios in town. You could believe this as you sit in a flower-filled garden with 6-foot phlox and giant, rustic birdhouses set on tall poles. Enjoy your glass of pinot noir, an Oregon specialty, and your pappardelle with duck.

One good thing about the northwest quadrant is NW 23rd Avenue, blocks and blocks of funky shops, good restaurants and coffee options, including the popular Stumptown Coffee Roasters brand. Buy a bag of Stumptown Hair Bender to bring home.

Just off NW 23rd, on Thurman Street, is St. Honoré Boulangerie, a French bakery that's a great place to start your day with Normandy Apple Toast — similar to bread pudding — and a big cup of cafe au lait. Or buy a bag of chouquettes — sugared puff-pastry rounds — to carry with you as you walk past the pistachio, lavender and pale yellow-golde houses in the neighborhood.

Also nearby, at NW 23rd and Marshall Street, is the northern end of the streetcar loop, which goes all the way through downtown to the South Waterfront and the Portland Aerial Tram. There, you can ride in a Swiss-built cabin on a cable that ascends 500 feet to the Oregon Health & Science University on Marquam Hill. The $4 admission and a clear day will get you some great aerial shots. www.portlandtram.org

PEARL DISTRICT

Parking in Portland can be a problem, especially in popular areas such as the Pearl District, at the bottom of the northwest quadrant. Once you're in this revamped industrial area, though, you can find shops exclusive to Portland, including Oblation on NW 12th Avenue. It prints note cards, invitations and business cards by hand on letter-press machines in the back. And Oblation is very near Andina, on NW Glisan Street, a Peruvian restaurant where two $6.50 small plates and some quinoa rolls will fill you up for lunch and dazzle you with their artistry. Try the piquillo peppers stuffed with cheese, quinoa and Serrano ham. Happy-hour visitors might want to check out the habañero-infused vodka martini shaken with passion fruit purée and cane sugar with a sugar rim.

Also in the Pearl District is Powell's City of Books, a block-size building of tall shelves filled with more than a million books, including out-of-print tomes. It's color-coded and easy to navigate. www.powells.com

New to the district is the relocated Museum of Contemporary Craft on NW Davis Street, which was featuring the impressive traveling exhibit, "Craft in America." Free admission. www.contemporarycrafts.org

ASIAN RESPITE

Just east of the Pearl District, in Chinatown/Old Town, is the Portland Classical Chinese Garden, an urban and symbolism-filled paradise filling a city block with plantings, Chinese structures and the lovely Zither Lake. Tune out the incongruous sounds of city traffic from just beyond the walls by stepping into the teahouse for some subtle Chinese gong music and a metal cup of sweet winter melon juice — a gourd drink reminiscent of hazelnuts and served icy cold. Or try one of the interesting hot teas, some served in handleless cups with a porcelain lid you tilt up in back while you sip from the front. www.portlandchinesegarden.org

SOUTH TO CULTURE

The Cultural District is nearby, in the southwest quadrant. Check out the Portland Art Museum, which was featuring "Rembrandt and the "Golden Age of Dutch Art." www.portlandartmuseum.org Then walk directly across SW Park Avenue to the Oregon Historical Society Museum. It'll give you a good intro to Oregon, including a furnished tent to show how Scottish naturalist David Douglas lived, as he traveled about 7,000 miles exploring Oregon botany. His name lives on in the majestic and ubiquitous Douglas fir. www.ohs.org

ON THE WATERFRONT

Portland loves green space and a good example is Gov. Tom McCall Waterfront Park, covering an old highway downtown. A paved path along the Willamette River is perfect for exercisers. The park is a popular venue for outdoor festivals, including Bite of Oregon, a three-day food and music fest in August — and a great way to try Marionberry Pie, made from a darker, sweeter version of the raspberry.

WASHINGTON PARK

Just a short light-rail ride west of downtown is lush and massive Washington Park, home to the Japanese Garden, Oregon Zoo and Hoyt Arboretum. The garden truly is gorgeous, covering 5½ acres. It's hillier than ours in St. Louis and lush with tall trees. Part of the path descends to a large sand and stone garden and then moves gently upward, with spots to rest and contemplate, often to the sound of water. Just across the street is the International Rose Test Garden. The heavy rose scent will lure you in, and on a clear day Mount Hood is visible from the gift shop patio. The garden, with its bed after bed of roses in all colors, about 7,000 plantings in all, is one of 24 official testing sites for the All-America Rose Selection organization.

SOUTHEAST FOR

ASIAN FOOD

I had one more must during my two days in the city: a visit to Pok Pok, which the Portland Oregonian named restaurant of the year. On SE Division Street, this casual Thai place serves complex and delicious Southeast Asian street food and interesting cocktails, including a Tamarind Whiskey Sour. You can conjure up a feast from fare including green papaya salad, dishes with marinated catfish and boar, and coconut jack fruit ice cream.

AND WEST FOR

THE GORGE

Don't miss a 45-minute, early morning drive out Interstate 84 East to Multnomah Falls, Oregon's most visited natural site. It's in the Columbia River Gorge, and you can walk a mile to the top of the falls on a paved trail or stop on the picturesque bridge part way up. I got there about 8:30 a.m., and not long after, visitors were beginning to multiply. You'll enjoy it more if you have some quiet time.

NEXT TIME, I'LL ...

— Spend more time in the bohemian Hawthorne District to check out the restored Bagdad Theater, a 1920s Arabian-style movie palace where you can enjoy pizza and craft ales during the show.

— Try one of the kayak options on the waterfront. www.portlandkayak.com

— Pencil in more time for outings outside Portland, including the charming town Hood River in the Columbia Gorge, the Pacific Ocean and, if I'm there Jan. 25-27, the Truffle Festival in Eugene, about 110 miles south of Portland. www.oregontrufflefestival.com

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
— Polite Portlanders seem to show a real "after you" mindset, to pedestrians and to motorists.
Haha yeah right...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 11:37 PM
Closed account

NORTHWEST QUADRANT
My first evening began at Meriwether's, a northwest quadrant restaurant said to have one of the best patios in town.

Wow...i live in a quadrant and didn't even know it!

I think arrondissement sounds a little more snazzy.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:05 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hmm, obviously they got the shorter tour. No mention of even Alberta or Miss. streets!

Man, these reviews are like a dime a dozen now. Our tourism promoters better think of something different soon... otherwise people will figure out our little game we're playing.

oh wait... I thought it was a nytimes article. nevermind.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 2:58 AM

Portland Infamy

According to this reddit thread, there's a restaurant in Vancouver BC that markets itself as "Portland-style". There's also a couple coffee shops in Nashville called "Portland Brew", which according to Yelp have snobby service (so, they're doing a good job of importing PDX coffee culture).

This comes on the heels of coming home one recent afternoon to find a tour group in my driveway. Portland's definitely changing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:42 AM

I've been wondering when exactly we turned "cool" and "desirable" and "hip"? Like out of nowhere bam Portland is "in". I'll laugh if it has to do with the show...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riterpdx View Post
I've been wondering when exactly we turned "cool" and "desirable" and "hip"? Like out of nowhere bam Portland is "in". I'll laugh if it has to do with the show...
The seeds began to sprout in the 1970s, particularly Governor Tom McCall's environmentalism and the opposition to "Californication". Somehow the movement survived the right-wing counterattack of the late '70s. Mayor Neil Goldschmidt's mass transit initiatives and the victory over the Mt Hood freeway were big deals. But "cool" had really little to do with politics or government per se. It was simply the hippies and their descendants who claimed Portland as their own. Hand-crafted this and that, particularly beer, is the style. Of course, they did the same in Seattle and San Francisco. The difference there is that they were overwhelmed by global economic forces. Somehow that tsunami hasn't washed over Portland. Yet. As the signs say, Keep Portland Weird.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riterpdx View Post
Duh, Portland got cool when I moved here!

Honestly, I don't think Portland was cool in the 80's. At least not particularly. To me it seems to have begin in the early 90's, when craft brewing started to take off, and with over-spill from grunge/riotgrrrl. By the mid-90's - I was in Peace Corps - several people in my group, from all over the country told me that they wanted to either 1) join Peace Corps or 2) move to Portland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion