HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 2:46 AM

Quote:

Transit B-Line Improvements Open House

Improvements to transit service in Surrey and White Rock are planned for this winter and the spring of 2010. Residents of Surrey and White Rock are invited to participate in the Open Houses listed below. Service concepts for the proposed #531 White Rock/Langley and the #399 King George Highway B-Line service will be on display for public input.

Open Houses are an important part of the planning process, as they provide information to local residents and stakeholders, and solicit public feedback to the plan.

We invite you to attend the Open House during regular mall hours on:

Thursday, April 30, 2009, Central City Mall

Another open house is scheduled for May 7th - see details

For more information, contact:

John Timms Corporate Communications,
Coast Mountain Bus Co.
Tel: 604-953-3251
email: john.timms@coastmountainbus.com
from http://www.surrey.ca/NR/exeres/65143...MODE=Published

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:54 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Why does it have to be on a thursday?

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:43 AM
Shoebox Dweller

No documents online showing the routes? Newbs @ Translink persist.

Why is the "b-line" going to be 399? Shouldn't it be 9X B-Line? I know that XX bus numbers are vancouver routes, but the 97-bline doesn't touch vancouver - and by that logic, the 98 should be 498.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:03 AM

Someone be sure to ask for start date on the new B-line!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usog View Post
Someone be sure to ask for start date on the new B-line!
From what I've heard before, TransLink was saying the King George B-line would start pretty soon after the olympics as they would be able to keep the new bus drivers that were hired on the lead up to the olympics. Also, I assume the reason they're waiting until after the olympics is because they don't want to add a new service to have to cut it as soon as people become accustomed to it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambaUp View Post
From what I've heard before, TransLink was saying the King George B-line would start pretty soon after the olympics as they would be able to keep the new bus drivers that were hired on the lead up to the olympics. Also, I assume the reason they're waiting until after the olympics is because they don't want to add a new service to have to cut it as soon as people become accustomed to it.
scheduled startup - march 1, 2010.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:08 AM

Any idea what's going on with Holland Park? There's all sorts of construction going on, but I can't find anything.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
Any idea what's going on with Holland Park? There's all sorts of construction going on, but I can't find anything.
I'll make a post about in on civicsurrey.com shortly, as well as details from what I learnt at the open house. Not too much to share...

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:31 AM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166633
theres some info on this thread about whats going on

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

here

Quote:
Surrey's 2010 Olympic party zone will feature outdoor skating, curling and tobogganing, as well as live entertainment.

"Special emphasis will also be placed on ethnic-food services, licensed beverage areas and VIP hospitality," says a request for proposals.

According to the tender document, the free, 17-day music, sport and arts festival will take place on a 2.5-hectare site at Holland Park on the corner of King George Highway and Old Yale Road. Surrey is looking for a production team to run the party zone, including a producer, production manager, site manager and video director.

The celebration plaza will have two stages, including jumbo video screens and up to 100 large plasma TVs spread throughout the site.

"Major emphasis will be placed on watching live television feeds of the Games," said the request for proposals.

Construction is due to begin Jan. 25, 2010, and the main stage will be used

Feb. 8 when the Olympic torch relay is due to arrive in Surrey.

The party zone will be open from Feb. 12 to 28.

Proposed hours of operation are from 3 to 10 p.m., Monday to Thursday; 3 to 11 p.m. on Fridays; 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays; and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...274/story.html

Quote:
Olympic-size party planned

Up to 100 plasma TVs and two giant video displays will be installed in Holland Park next year as the city prepares a huge party for the Winter Games.

The displays are part of an ambitious plan for North Surrey, which could include wrapping the 25-storey Central City Tower with a giant plastic image for some time leading up to the Games.

The city’s request for proposals calls for several technicians, including a video person responsible for “two stages including large video screens, up to 100 plasma TVs for various locations throughout the site.”

A major emphasis will be providing a television feed for the games, as well as ethnic food and licensed beverage areas.

Black Press has also learned discussions are under way with Central City to allow for the building wrap.

“You can see right through it,” said Coun. Linda Hepner, who said the city hasn’t decided on the image yet.

“If I could put the (Olympic) rings there I’d be thrilled, but we’re so tight on how often we can use that. It will probably look like a skier, or a skater or a snowboarder.”

Surrey will also be the venue for some key musical talent, Hepner said, as headliners coming to the Games will appear at several venue cities.

Hepner said admission to the events will be free. Surrey has budgeted for up to $3 million for the party, which will take place in lieu of Winterfest.
The party is to run from Friday, Feb. 12 to Sunday, Feb. 28, 2010.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_ar.../41772027.html

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:30 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Nice! Good to see parties planned....

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:37 AM

it also looks like there adding proper washrooms there

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 4:54 AM

I don't think that's what he meant by 'what is going on in Holland Park" Right now there is quite a bit of contrstruction happening in the park. From the looks of it they are upgrading the corner at Old Yale Road and East Whalley Ring Road with a few gardens and a fountain perhaps and at the opposite side they are working on that as well. In the center of the park near the large fountain they are putting up some stone columns with steel beams on the top. (Though I have no clue what they are going to finish it with) and near the front entrance it looks like they are either building some sort of small building or another fountain.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
it also looks like there adding proper washrooms there
or that lol

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 5:09 AM

lot of the construction by west whalley ring is likely for the display screen since its at the end point of the event lawn so plenty of room for people to view them with out crowding the side walk and paths there

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 5:11 AM

and the steel beams are likely there to hold the plasma screens....surrey may have cleaned up but you dont want to not be safe when installing 100+ plasma screen

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 4:47 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Humm.....Holland park

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
I'll make a post about in on civicsurrey.com shortly, as well as details from what I learnt at the open house. Not too much to share...
since your not around to do so i decide to put it on here what you got=P
Quote:
Details on the City’s Olympic Plan

without comments

Now that Surrey is an official Venue City for the Olympics, a new Olympic Plan to leverage this status has been formulated. A Corporate Report was recently released with all the details. It also seems that the Plan will be officially released to the public this Saturday, May 2nd at 5:30pm at the Surrey Sport and Leisure Complex - the Mayor, Council, and Olympians will be on hand for the family friendly ceremonies, including the hand out of free skate or swim passes.

The Plan revolves around the theme of the Olympic Spirit and is broken down into five sections:

* Welcoming Spirit
* Community Spirit
* Active Spirit
* Business Spirit
* Cultural Spirit

Major initiatives include:

- A comprehensive marketing strategy with building wraps, torch relay flags, Olympic flags, Gateway signage, Transit Shelter signage, and street banners.

- Efforts to lure National Olympic Teams to train in Surrey. Interest has already been expressed from the Chinese and Korean Speed Skating Teams, the Russian Figure Skating Team, and the Norwegian Sledge Hockey Team.

- The Games Preparation Centre and two new Visitor Information Centres (one at Peach Arch, the other at the Pacific Highway).

- A 2010 Celebration Site will be setup in Holland Park, operating throughout the whole Olympics, save Mondays and Tuesdays. It will feature live broadcasts of Olympic events, sport activities, food, and live entertainment, plus major concerts on Friday and Saturday nights. The Celebration Site will showcase the latest in lighting and green sustainable technologies.

- Local and regional Olympian Ambassadors will tour local schools and the community to encourage sport and active living

- Establishment of a Volunteer Development Program to help find, train, and retain volunteers for 2010 and beyond in the City

- 52 social housing units provided by VANOC

- Development of promotional materials to be strategically targeted to investors, business people, and the international media

- Hosting of the Mayor’s Business Receptions at Robson Square, the Surrey Live Site, and SFU Surrey. It will present an opportunity to network and showcase Surrey on a global stage.

- The City has purchased 50 tickets to the Opening Ceremonies. The tickets will be distributed to community leaders, business people, and youth at risk. A selection process is being determined.

- A series of arts and cultural performances to be included in the Cultural Olympiad
from www.civicsurrey.com

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 8:37 PM

Oh, he was asking what was going on with Holland Park, not the Olympic Plan - which I've yet to blog about. It will happen soon though!

Long story short, they are doing Phase 2 upgrades + the Spirit Square. Two new entrances, bathrooms, and a bigger square. Pics of construction and the blueprint will be on the site with the story eventually.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 9:21 PM

i swear i hate you some time paul. you make me jealous how good you are at getting all the info and picture.=P

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley