HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 1:26 PM
Community Guy

Tour of AB 2016 - Sept 4 and 5 in Edmonton

Reminder - this is coming into town Sun/Mon.

http://tourofalberta.ca

Stage 4

Stage 5

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 5:59 PM
Community Guy

Tour of Alberta Presented by ATB Financial – September 4 & 5

Stage 4 Festival
More than just a sporting event, the Tour of Alberta is a spectacular travelling festival. Free to the public, it will feature local culture, entertainment, food and fun for the entire family.

Date: Sunday, September 4, 2016
Time: Noon – 7:45 p.m.
Admission:
Free
Stage 4 - Race
Stage 4, the Individual Time Trials (ITT), will start and end in Hawrelak Park using a portion of the same course as the ITU World Triathlon Edmonton, which is taking place earlier in the day. Starting at one-minute intervals, riders will race against the clock as they compete to win what is considered to be the most critical stage of the competition. Stage 4 route map

Date: Sunday, September 4, 2016
Race start: 5 p.m. (approx.)
Race finish: 7:30 p.m. (estimate)
Start/Finish: Hawrelak Park
Best places to watch Stage 4 of the race
Hawrelak Park – Start/Finish area
River Valley Road
Along the sidewalk on the north end of Groat Road
Stage 5 Festival
The festivities continue during Stage 5 of the race. Visit the Canadian Brewhouse Beer Gardens, take a walk down Ellisdon Autograph Alley and stop by the ATB Financial tent to take a spin on the prize wheel. This is a great opportunity for fans to get close to the action and meet professional cyclists from around the world!

Date:
Monday, September 5, 2016
Time: 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Admission: Free
Stage 5 Race
Stage 5, the final leg of the race, will start and finish in Sir Winston Churchill Square. Winding its way through Edmonton's Downtown core, the excitement will be palpable as competitors race 121 km, consisting of 11 laps over an 11.9 km circuit featuring the short, steep slopes of Bellamy Hill. Cheer on the world's best professional cyclists as they race to the finish line. Stage 5 route map

Date: Monday, September 5, 2016
Race start: 1:50 p.m.
Race finish:
5 p.m. (estimate)
Start/Finish: Churchill Square
Best places to watch Stage 5 of the race
Sir Winston Churchill Square – Start/Finish Line
Bellamy Hill
Alberta Legislature Grounds
Velothon Edmonton – NEW!
Join cyclists from around the globe for a true “feel-like-a-pro” experience and the ultimate mass-participation public ride at Canada’s first-ever Velothon! Velothon Edmonton will take place on Monday, September 5, 2016 on the final day of the Tour of Alberta, making it one of the biggest cycling events in the Americas and a memorable week of cycling in Alberta. For more information or to register visit TourofAlberta.ca/VelothonEdmonton.

ATB Financial Family Ride in support of CASA
Celebrate the Tour of Alberta and help to raise money and awareness for CASA Child, Adolescent and Family Mental Health. The Family Ride will depart from Churchill Square at 11am on Monday September 5. Register as an individual, as a family, or as a corporate team.

Major Road Closures

A number of road closures will be in effect from Friday, September 2 to Monday, September 5 to ensure the safety of competitors, volunteers and spectators. Major travel delays can be expected. Motorists are urged to plan ahead. Use Whitemud Dr., Anthony Henday Dr., Low Level Bridge, James Mcdonald Bridge, 97 Ave. and 107 St. as alternate routes. For road closure details visit edmonton.ca/RaceWeek.

Free ETS Shuttle Service

Looking to take in the Race Week action? Free shuttle service is available on Friday, September 2 from 2 p.m. – 9 p.m. with pick-up at Windsor Car Park and drop-off outside the Hawrelak Park entrance. Free shuttle service will be available to and from Hawrelak Park on Saturday, September 3 and Sunday, September 4.

Friday, September 2
Shuttle times: 2 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Pick-up: Windsor Car Park (116 St. and 92 Ave.)
Drop-off: Outside the Hawrelak Park entrance

Saturday, September 3
Shuttle times: 5:30 am. – 7:30 p.m.
Drop-off: Hawrelak Park
Buses will run on a 10 minutes service frequency.

Sunday, September 4*
Shuttle times: 5:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Drop-off: Hawrelak Park
Buses will run on a 10 minutes service frequency.

*NOTE: On Sunday, September 4 from 12 p.m. – 1 p.m., and 2 p.m. – 3 p.m., due to restrictions on the roadways around Hawrelak Park during the Elite races, shuttles will drop off passengers at the traffic circle at the corner of Groat Rd. and 87 Ave.

ETS Bus Detours

Some ETS bus detours will take place during the event and some bus stops will be temporarily relocated. Regular service is subject to fares. Visit takeETS.com/news for details.

Buses Replace LRT North of Coliseum

LRT service north of Coliseum station will be suspended from September 3 – 5 for planned track work. Capital Line trains will still pull into Coliseum station. Shuttle buses marked “LRT Replacement” will provide service between Clareview, Belvedere, Coliseum LRT stations approximately every 7 – 8 minutes. Visit takeETS.com/news for details.

Victoria Golf Course Access

If you are visiting the Victoria Golf Course & Driving Range over the Labour Day weekend, please be aware of access limitations.

Saturday, September 3
Vehicle access to Victoria Golf Course will be available via River Valley Rd. westbound and Groat Rd. southbound.

Sunday, September 4
Access will be available by shuttle only. Free shuttles will leave from the Edmonton Ballpark west parking lot (96 Ave., between 104 Ave. and Rossdale Rd.) every 30 minutes from 6:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. and 8 – 10:20 p.m., and every 20 minutes from 4 – 8 p.m.

Monday, September 5
River Valley Rd. will be closed to vehicles from 5 a.m. – 7 p.m., however, traffic to and from the golf course will be permitted through a single access point that varies throughout the day.

5 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Access will be available from 105 St. and River Valley Rd. only.
1:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.: Access to Victoria Golf course will be via northbound Groat Rd. across Groat Bridge only. Access from Victoria Golf Course will be via southbound Groat Rd. across Groat Bride only.
Please leave extra time to arrive at the golf course during these times, as traffic may be temporarily stopped to allow cyclists through.
For further Victoria Golf Course access details, visit edmonton.ca/RaceWeek.

Parking

Parking is not available at Hawrelak Park. Spectator parking is available at the University of Alberta's Windsor, Stadium and Education Car Parks. Parking is not permitted on the course. A number of meters will be hooded. Please obey all signs, as illegally parked vehicles will be tagged and towed.

Bicycles

Why not ride your bike to Hawrelak Park? Public bike racks will be set up in the park. Spectators can stay in the park to watch the action, or venture out on the bicycle and running course to get a closer look at their favourite triathletes.

Taxis & Private Shuttles

Due to the event road closures, all taxis and private shuttles will drop off and pick up from the Northern Alberta Jubilee north ground parking lot near 87 Ave. and 115 St.. All guests may transfer to the Health Sciences LRT Station Circuit to access the free shuttle service to Hawrelak Park.

Park Access

Due to road closures, there will be limited or no vehicle access to Hawrelak Park, Emily Murphy Park (including the boat launch), Government House Park and Victoria Park from September 3 – 5. Access will be restricted the night prior to prevent early morning parking. Visit further park access information visit edmonton.ca/RaceWeek.

For more information about the 2016 ITU World Triathlon Edmonton, visit edmonton.triathlon.org.

For more information about the 2016 Tour of Alberta, visit TourofAlberta.ca.

Media contact:

Karen McDonnell
Communications Advisor
City of Edmonton, Civic Events
Office: 780-442-0854

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:38 PM

Frank Sleck
[IMG]1 by Tim Taylor-Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]5 by Tim Taylor-Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]7 by Tim Taylor-Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]8 by Tim Taylor-Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]10 by Tim Taylor-Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]12 by Tim Taylor-Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2 by Tim Taylor-Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]11 by Tim Taylor-Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:43 PM

Had a good time riding the streets of the Valley and downtown without traffic. But you do get a real sense of how rough the roads are while on a bike. There was a good turnout for the Velothon, despite the lack of proper advertising.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:44 PM
DRINK

So is this going to be back next year?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:53 PM

don't know yet, but I thought they had 3 more years in the contract.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 4:01 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 5:12 PM

Thankfully they didn't make us do Belamy hill. the other 3 were good enough.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 6:10 PM

As a spectacle, the Tour is great - but not so much as a spectator sport. That said, walked literally miles yesterday catching different scenes.

The best, oddly enough (at least for me) wasn't either Bellamy or Victoria Park hills, but the right hand 90 degree turn at 107 street and 102 ave. Making the turn, riders were at most a foot from your face - and at speed. Whoa!

The bridge over Bellamy at Edmonton House was pretty dang good too.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:26 AM

I enjoyed watching it just down the road from my condo (not quite as many people as in Paris when I watched the final stage of the Tour de France, but still a nice crowd)! How come Calgary gets cut out of the race (not that I'm complaining). I also think it's weird they didn't do much in the mountain parks; I would have thought highway 93 would be an amazing course for a bike race. In any case, Edmonton with it's river valley I think is a much better place for the finale than Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
The best, oddly enough (at least for me) wasn't either Bellamy or Victoria Park hills, but the right hand 90 degree turn at 107 street and 102 ave. Making the turn, riders were at most a foot from your face - and at speed. Whoa!
I actually prefer 2 blocks south. 107 Street and 100 Avenue.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 2:58 PM

The stages are paid for by the local community or county. Okotoks was originally on this years tour but backed out so the tour went to 5 days. Okotoks could have had Highwood pass on it. Interesting that they stared at Kaninaskis Village but headed north. Banff would be nice and to have Lake Louise as a Hill top finish would be great.

It would be nice to have the dates moved up a week or so. The weather would be better.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
... How come Calgary gets cut out of the race (not that I'm complaining).
Airboy had it - the community that wants the Tour has to pay the Tour. YYC had the finale for the inaugural tour and apparently decided it wasn't worth the money and has never bid, to my knowledge to have it back.

YEG, on the other hand believes there's a future in sports tourism - hence the tour plus the triathlon and coming FISE World Series event: http://www.fise.fr/en/fise-world-series-2016

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton