HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 11:02 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Don't let the grass get too long though, reel mowers don't do so well then, so you'd have to mow often.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Hey anyone use a push lawn mower? I've been thinking of getting one from Cdn Tire, but for every 'its awesome woo' review, there's a 'will take your firstborn' one. Just wondering if anyone uses one and what they think about it.
I use a push mower and I really like it, but I have a small yard, and I'm not overly picky about my grass. The only thing that is a bit of a pain is that you can't let the grass get too long, or it doesn't work very well.

Positives are: no gas, no oil, no smell, no noise, no cord to look out for.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 2:37 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Not push, but not gas either...

After enough dealing with the smell/noise/general hassle of keeping gasoline at hand, I bit the bullet and finally got one of the new generation rechargeable electrics from Linamar (sold under various brands, Solaris at Home Depot, etc).

Positives: no smell. Far less noise and just about none of the usual wrist-busting vibration. I got a self-propelled model, and I'll never look back. I have some semi-decent slope in my yard, but honestly, even on flat areas it makes mowing the lawn almost "fun". Certainly not the chore it used to feel like. You just walk and steer, no effort required. A full charge covers my yard easily, and I have one of the larger yards in the newer subdivisions (corner lot).

Negatives: the electrics still don't quite have the "oomph" of a gas, so when you get into that really long, slightly wet spring grass, it can jam up. Just tilt back, let some fly out the side, and you're good to go - but it did take some getting used to. Once away from the 6" high fresh grass though (low spots in the yard that hold water better) it cut like a charm. The self-propelled feature doesn't quite make it up the steepest part of my yard on its own, but it tries very hard.

Overall I'm very happy as I've been wanting to get away from gas for years. That and the rechargeable B&D trimmer have finally freed me from keeping gas in my garage, and no cords getting in the way. Yeah, it was $500, but well worth it in my books.

I still wish I would have graveled the damn yard though. Lawns are such a waste of time and water and money. Especially in our current drought.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I still wish I would have graveled the damn yard though. Lawns are such a waste of time and water and money. Especially in our current drought.
Not directly related, but...

I was musing with my wife the other day about why the city insists on manicuring the sides of major roads, etc. when they could just let wild grass grow instead. Prevents weeds, more resistant to drought, much lower maintenance costs.

It's just amazing that in this climate that anyone would think golf-green grass in the middle of interchanges is even necessary.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 5:28 AM

They tend to let some of it grow a bit wild, for instance they usually only mow along Crowchild once or twice a year so its not uncommon to see 18-24" tall grass along there. When they do mow it I suspect its after people complain, cause the longer grass also tends to hold the random garbage that blows across the city. Theres probably also some fear of the population complaining 'well if the city doesn't have to keep its greenspaces neat why should I keep my lawn neat'

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 9:31 PM

There were about 100 or so protesters in front of the Concrete Equities building. They were protesting Concrete Equites.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
There were about 100 or so protesters in front of the Concrete Equities building. They were protesting Concrete Equites.
Why?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Why?
Happy reading!

http://forums.canadianbusiness.com/t...threadID=13954

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_B_Russell View Post
For those who don't like reading:
http://www.jasondunn.com/globaltv-co...-equities-1617

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 11:55 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Anybody else get a kick out of every single Calgary photothread turning into a Calgary vs. Denver/Edmonton/Hamilton/Winnipeg/Houston/Montreal/Toronto/Ottawa/Vancouver shitstorm?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 11:56 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
For those who don't like reading:
Thank you!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 3:57 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Anybody else get a kick out of every single Calgary photothread turning into a Calgary vs. Denver/Edmonton/Hamilton/Winnipeg/Houston/Montreal/Toronto/Ottawa/Vancouver shitstorm?
Yeah, I just love how the Lilac Festival photo thread has turned out!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yeah, I just love how the Lilac Festival photo thread has turned out!
The problem is that old perceptions die hard. People have a perception of Calgary that's 15 years out of date. People have trouble accepting the fact that Calgary's a rapdily evolving city. It's true that culture/festivals etc.. were lacking 15 or 20 years ago, but those that still think so have their heads in the sand. We've got alot going on here, and some great events that just keep getting better.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 5:21 AM

Good on Calgary! Glad you didn't post it in the Canada section, we'd never hear the end of all the crybabies there. Like I said in te previous post. Old perceptions die hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
See how Canada’s major cities stack up, from best to worst, and whether they’ve risen or declined in the past two years. The biggest didn’t necessarily do best (Saskatoon beats Toronto) and it wasn’t only boom towns that did well (Calgary is No. 1, but Guelph, Ont., is up there, too). Cities with the most opportunities for lifelong learning topped this list from the Canadian Council on Learning—and won their residents safer neighbourhoods, better health, and even higher wages. How did your city fare?

CITY OVERALL SCORE

LEARNING
TO KNOW LEARNING
TO DO LEARNING
TO LIVE LEARNING
TO BE

Calgary 89 5.7 7.1 5.7 7.3
Victoria 88 6.0 7.0 5.5 7.1
Saskatoon 86 4.0 6.4 6.1 7.1
Guelph, Ont. 85 5.2 6.6 7.3 6.1
Barrie, Ont. 84 5.3 7.2 5.8 6.0
Ottawa 84 6.0 6.9 5.6 6.2
Regina 84 3.7 6.2 6.8 6.7
Kitchener, Ont. 83 5.5 6.6 5.8 6.1
Edmonton 82 5.6 7.0 5.6 5.6
Kelowna, B.C. 82 5.4 6.8 5.7 5.7
Oshawa, Ont. 81 5.2 6.7 6.0 5.5
Winnipeg 81 4.1 6.9 5.6 5.8
Brampton, Ont. 80 6.1 6.5 5.3 5.4
Halifax 80 3.8 6.2 4.8 6.2
Mississauga, Ont. 80 6.1 6.6 5.3 5.4
Toronto 80 6.1 6.6 5.5 5.4
Gatineau, Que. 79 4.5 6.8 5.5 5.1
Kingston, Ont. 79 5.4 6.2 5.9 5.3
London, Ont. 79 5.3 7.1 5.5 4.9
Fredericton 78 3.6 5.9 5.8 5.6
Hamilton, Ont. 77 5.3 6.5 5.8 4.7
St. Catharines, Ont. 77 5.2 6.6 5.2 4.8
Thunder Bay, Ont. 77 5.2 6.4 5.5 4.9
Vancouver 77 6.4 6.1 4.7 5.1
Québec 76 4.6 6.5 4.2 5.1
Abbotsford, B.C. 74 5.4 5.7 4.3 4.9
St. John’s 74 4.5 6.2 4.0 5.0
Windsor, Ont. 74 5.5 6.1 6.0 4.2
Charlottetown 73 2.7 6.0 4.4 4.9
Sudbury, Ont. 72 5.0 5.2 4.9 4.8
Moncton, N.B. 70 3.2 5.6 4.8 4.3
Longueuil, Que. 69 4.8 5.6 3.8 4.1
Laval, Que. 68 4.8 5.5 3.8 4.1
Montréal 68 4.8 5.5 3.8 4.0
Saint John, N.B. 67 3.3 6.5 4.0 3.0
Sherbrooke, Que. 65 4.3 4.4 4.4 3.8
Trois-Rivières, Que. 61 4.2 3.9 3.4 3.6
Saguenay, Que. 60 4.1 3.9 2.9 3.5

Source: Canadian Council on Learning, 2009 Composite Learning Index

Calgary, the city that caused an uproar in the rest of Canada when it topped our list of Most Cultured Cities last year, comes out on top again. But of the top five cities on the Canadian Council on Learning’s “learning to be” pillar, four—Calgary, Victoria, Saskatoon and Regina—are in Western Canada. A closer look at this list of some of the largest cities and urban areas shows that Victoria had the most readers, Calgary had the highest percentage of museum-goers, and more households in Saskatoon than anywhere attended paid performing arts events. And what of cities like Montreal and Toronto? Check near the bottom of the lists.

CITY ‘LEARNING TO BE’ SCORE
PER CENT WHO SPEND ON READING
PER CENT WHO SPEND ON THE PERFORMING ARTS
PER CENT WHO SPEND ON MUSEUMS

Calgary 7.3 80.8% 41.5% 48.1%
Victoria 7.1 88.8 42.3 38.6
Saskatoon 7.1 84.0 52.4 40.7
Regina 6.7 84.8 47.8 39.5
Halifax 6.2 79.3 42.0 41.1
Winnipeg 5.8 78.8 44.6 36.4
Edmonton 5.6 79.2 39.9 29.7
Fredericton* 5.6 81.8 43.1 30.3
Toronto 5.4 70.4 38.7 35.1
Vancouver 5.1 70.9 36.4 28.9
Québec 5.1 78.3 46.3 30.7
St.
John’s 5.0 74.9 44.3 24.4
London* 4.9 71.5 n/a n/a
Charlottetown 4.9 78.0 41.6 21.8
Moncton* 4.3 75.9 31.8 27.0
Montréal 4.3 72.4 37.5 24.7
Saint John 3.0 68.3 31.0 n/a

Source: Statistics Canada, special tabulation, unpublished data, Survey of Household Spending, 2007. Unless indicated, data reflects Census Metropolitan Areas.

* Data for these cities only available at the economic region level.

More than half of all households in Calgary, Ottawa-Gatineau, Victoria and Saskatoon spent money on sports and recreation during 2006, according to the latest report by the Canadian Council on Learning. The Ottawa-based organization measures lifelong learning opportunities in communities, and leisure pursuits are integral to cultural engagement—residents who play in local clubs may feel more connected to their hometown. Go team.

CITY PER CENT WHO SPEND ON SPORTS & RECREATION

Calgary 58.5%
Ottawa – Hull 58.3
Victoria 56.7
Saskatoon 52.4
Halifax 48.1
Edmonton 48.1
Vancouver 47.9
London* 47.8
Regina 47.3
Charlottetown 46.3
Fredericton* 45.2
St. John’s 45.1
Winnipeg 44.9
Toronto 42.8
Moncton* 40.2
Saint John 35.4
Québec 35.0
Montréal 33.8

Source: Statistics Canada, special tabulation, unpublished data, Survey of Household Spending, 2006. Unless indicated, data reflects Census Metropolitan Areas.

* Data for these cities only available at the economic region level.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/05/28/d...a-smart-city/?

3 responses on Macleans.ca:

This comparison is completely flawed. It is based on the percentage of people that spend money on a particular activity. However, many cultural events are free and one can be very active without spending a dime. Take Vancouver for example. People are very active with hiking, jogging, rollerblading, bicycling etc. none of which requires spending any money. Similarly, Montreal has numerous free cultural events (in many of the parks across the city there is free theatre and danse throughout the summer). I suspect the fact that Calgary comes out on top of these lists stems from the fact that it tends to be a wealthy city and as a result if you judge by spending more people spend money on culture and being active but it doesn’t necessarily mean they are more cultured or more active.

What a sensational use of data; so shallow and designed to titilate…ah the business of media.

and the funniest:

This is nonsense. I’m from Newfoundland and I lived in Calgary for a few years in the early 90’s. I can honestly say that Calgarians are the most boring and humorless people I have ever met. They enroll in and/or pay for these activities because they are like sheep. And what else is there to do? Hang out at mall? They simply conform and follow the crowd. Doesn’t original thinking and wit count in these rankings. The western cities would rank at the bottom is these things were included.

I thought I better not post this in the Canada section!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 5:28 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Someone's gotta link this Lilac fest thread. Maybe I'm stupid but I can't find much activity at all in our photo section.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 5:39 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Someone's gotta link this Lilac fest thread. Maybe I'm stupid but I can't find much activity at all in our photo section.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=169864

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:56 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Well no wonder! Don't you know we're only allowed to talk about Calgary in our own private fenced in area?

Y'all really have no one to blame but yourselves. All those other folk are just sick of Calgarian superiority complexes and such.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 3:06 PM

A quick question, that would probably get a better answer here than in a BC thread.

Planning on going to Kimberley for a weekend. I've been before and been in that whole area before, but it wasn't me doing the driving. I remember being taken to a little fairy house made entirely from embalming fluid bottles. I want to show the family but don't remember exactly where it is. I think it's more Creston than Kimberley, but an exact location would be awesome. Any help?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
The problem is that old perceptions die hard. People have a perception of Calgary that's 15 years out of date. People have trouble accepting the fact that Calgary's a rapdily evolving city. It's true that culture/festivals etc.. were lacking 15 or 20 years ago, but those that still think so have their heads in the sand. We've got alot going on here, and some great events that just keep getting better.
I moved to Calgary from Edmonton back in 1992. Back then Calgary's Folkfest was a joke. It's gotten a lot better and is almost as good as Edmonton's fest. Edmonton's 4 day pass is already sold out. Mind you, they have a pretty good line up this year. I'd have to say, their line up is a tad better than Calgary's.

Edmonton still smokes Calgary when it come to Heritage Days and the Fringe.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahon View Post
A quick question, that would probably get a better answer here than in a BC thread.

Planning on going to Kimberley for a weekend. I've been before and been in that whole area before, but it wasn't me doing the driving. I remember being taken to a little fairy house made entirely from embalming fluid bottles. I want to show the family but don't remember exactly where it is. I think it's more Creston than Kimberley, but an exact location would be awesome. Any help?

I think this is the place:
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/3bd31/de63e/

If you're going to Kimberley, make sure it's not the weekend of the Old Time Accordion Festival. I ran into that a few years ago on a motorbike trip. The only room we could get was in the hostel which was under renovations.

The town was overrun with old people. We had a blast though, mind you the chocolate covered mushrooms we had scored in Nelson kind of helped.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation