HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 3:24 PM
HVAC guru

Sounds like a great idea. One of the problems with CFR is that it happens so late in the year when the weather (usually) turns bad and there's bugger all else going on in town. K days has always been a bit of a disappointment because it is missing many ancillary elements that the other exhibitions in Western Canada like Stampede, PNE and even the smaller IPE have. Hopefully this adds another element that adds a broader appeal to the event

Like the IPE, K days should move towards embracing the industrial and agricultural history of the area and coordinate trade shows and exhibitions related to the primary industries in the area. IPE does this with logging and agricultural exhibitions, and it makes the whole fair going experience so much more interesting

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 8:25 PM

Now that I think about it more, I'm actually surprised it took them this long to add the rodeo component. People have been bemoaning K-Days' reduction in prestige in comparison to the Stampede for decades - well, guess what the latter has that the former did not? Not that a rodeo would have been a magic bullet for K Days' issues by any means, but it might have helped.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 9:39 PM
HVAC guru

Well change breeds innovation, Northlands stuck to the status quo for a long time, but now that the city sold their business out from under them and they're no longer tied down with NHL commitments hopefully they'll start thinking out of the box a little more

Funny, a few weeks ago I said that the city doesn't really deserve events like the CFR because the city doesn't support them, walking around between meetings today very much confirmed my thoughts. Northlands grounds are packed but absolutely nothing anywhere else to indicate it's even taking place

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 9:45 PM
BANNED

On one hand I'm happy the city is getting another event & the associated benefits, but on a personal note I wish it wasn't another rodeo.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Funny, a few weeks ago I said that the city doesn't really deserve events like the CFR because the city doesn't support them, walking around between meetings today very much confirmed my thoughts. Northlands grounds are packed but absolutely nothing anywhere else to indicate it's even taking place
I was at the Chateau Lacombe and they have CFR displays and events happening there. I think Sutton has something, not sure. And the Chili Cookoff looked busy from what I saw.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 11:38 PM
HVAC guru

^ pretty small potatoes though don't you think ?

Not that we need to match Calgary's enthusiasm and energy but man, neither the city nor business owners seem to really care at all that it's going on. For all the whoring the city's done for OEG you'd think they'd at least try a little to promote the event...

Oh wait I forgot, they signed an agreement that said they couldn't

What a smart city

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 10:35 PM

Considering all the sturm and drang over OEG/CPRA/City/Northlands/Saskatoon, good to see attendance was only slightly impacted and combined rodeo and farmfair attendance actually set a new record.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/northland...cess-1.3160128

Bodes well for the future of something that contributes an estimated $80 million to local wallets and purses.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 6:23 PM
Community Guy

How about a giant BBQ/beer gardens in Churchill Square for both events?!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
How about a giant BBQ/beer gardens in Churchill Square for both events?!
no thanks...

all of our urban design and vibrancy issues won't be solved - except for a minority group - with more locations to do nothing but drink.

anyone that knows me knows i have nothing against drinking so don't take me as a prude when i say this. it's just that the associated lack of other activities and the accompanying volume of canned and amplified music that comes with it makes too many of these things unattractive and uncomfortable spaces.

even family day in the square this year was no place to wander around, particularly with kids and we wonder why no one bothers to show up after a while. compare the atmosphere and the number of those in attendance on family day - including the length of time people and their kids hung around and enjoyed being downtown with the number of people in the same space during nuit blanche and you'll see what i mean.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:27 PM
Community Guy

Sponsors, teams, cities do a bbq cookoff that is all ages and family friendly with a beer garden for others. Tie it in with activities and wagon rides etc. By no means is this intended to be a grab ribs and chug beers... but a place for all to come and enjoy some delicious food, interactive displays and have a beer with friends. Think Grey Cup, not Knoxvilles.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Sponsors, teams, cities do a bbq cookoff that is all ages and family friendly with a beer garden for others. Tie it in with activities and wagon rides etc. By no means is this intended to be a grab ribs and chug beers... but a place for all to come and enjoy some delicious food, interactive displays and have a beer with friends. Think Grey Cup, not Knoxvilles.
i wasn't thinking knoxvilles - i was thinking sir winston churchill square on family day monday two weeks ago.

an exceptionally warm winter day in edmonton with free admission to the art gallery and events in city hall and a hay ride for the kids... and a virtually empty sir winston hurchill square despite there being things to do because the dj in the corner had the volume cranked to the point where not only couldn't you talk to someone beside you, it was painful to be around.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:55 PM
Community Guy

I completely agree about Family Day... next year will be a new take on it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 2:12 PM

Canadian Finals Rodeo is moved to Red Deer after 44 years in Edmonton.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 2:58 PM
Community Guy

Glad it is still in AB and I think it will have much success there.

That said, sad to see it go.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 2:59 PM
HVAC guru

^^ Good news for Red Deer. The car dealerships and big box stores must be jumping for joy.

It's a shame that Edmonton gave up on $30 million dollars worth of economic stimulus to the local Economy. CFR was a big week for a lot of local businesses. Shame on the EEDC and city for letting this get away. It was, quite literally Edmonton's event to lose, and they lost it.

Last edited by 240glt; Jan 17, 2018 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:47 PM

Not sure the average person in Edmonton cares. I sure don't and no one I know does either.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:55 PM
HVAC guru

^ Maybe that's why Edmonton is still a 2nd tier town in so many peoples' eyes

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:05 PM

I've never gone but I do know this was a big event for the city. It's to bad it was bungled so badly and not kept here. It'll be a big loss for the city, unless they can find another event to bring in to replace it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Not sure the average person in Edmonton cares. I sure don't and no one I know does either.

Meh...The CFR was a good $$ Stimulus for a week for Edmonton obviously.

I wasnt a fan. But good for the city.

But yeah...this second tier town landed the PBR...which for all accounts is as good financially or better than the CFR.

Im sure the Katz group crunched the numbers and came up with the same conclusions.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:32 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Meh...The CFR was a good $$ Stimulus for a week for Edmonton obviously.

I wasnt a fan. But good for the city.

But yeah...this second tier town landed the PBR...which for all accounts is as good financially or better than the CFR.

Im sure the Katz group crunched the numbers and came up with the same conclusions.
The same PBR that isn’t coming back and lost $500,000 to 1 million last year ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton