HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 6:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^ Nice visualization!

Btw, since 1 Vanderbilt is U/C now, for the first time in history the Chrysler Building at 1,046' has dropped to the 11th place. So no more top 10 for the Chrysler!
now the big question is when will ESB fall out of NYC's top 10?

man, that PS'd pano above is simply nothing short of crazy. NYC's skyline is going full-blown unrecognizable.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 16, 2017 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 10:23 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
now the big question is when will ESB fall out of NYC's top 10?
It will be quite a feat when the King 'falls'!

For now, the most likely scenario is the following:

1. One World Trade Center, 1,776ft (541m) [roof 1,368ft / 417m] - completed
2. Central Park Tower, 1,550ft (472m) - U/C
3. One Vanderbilt Place, 1,501ft (458m) [roof 1,401ft / 427m] - U/C
4. 80 South Street, 1,438ft (438m) - Prep
5. 111 West 57th Street, 1,428ft (435m) - U/C
6. 666 5th Avenue, 1,400ft (427m) - Pro
7. 432 Park Avenue, 1,397ft (426m) - completed
8. Two World Trade Center, 1,323ft (403m) - on hold
9. 30 Hudson Yards, 1,296ft (395m) - U/C
10. 151 East 60th Street, 1,260ft (384m) - Pro
11. Empire State Building, 1,250ft (381m) [antenna 1,454ft / 443m] - completed

Quote:
man, that PS'd pano above is simply nothing short of crazy. NYC's skyline is going full-blown unrecognizable.
Yep, the current boom eclipses everything mankind has witnessed before.

Last edited by hunser; Jan 17, 2017 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 10:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Thats why its called "the city",because it is the gold standard. Aside from gorillas scaling the ESB, and your occasional supervillain fight on 5th Avenue, it's quite decent out here. We have the best police force, NYPD, and when things get dangerous, all of the marvel characters to protect us.

I do wonder, if King Kong scaled Steinway, I think he'd have a challenge. Not climbing, but the terracotta might hurt his hands.

Quote:

1. One World Trade Center, 1,776ft (541m) [roof 1,368ft / 417m] - completed
2. Central Park Tower, 1,550ft (472m) - U/C
3. One Vanderbilt Place, 1,501ft (458m) [roof 1,401ft / 427m] - U/C
4. 80 South Street, 1,438ft (438m) - Prep
5. 111 West 57th Street, 1,428ft (435m) - U/C
6. 666 5th Avenue, 1,400ft (427m) - Pro
7. 432 Park Avenue, 1,397ft (426m) - completed
8. Two World Trade Center, 1,323ft (403m) - on hold
9. 151 East 60th Street, 1,240ft (378m) - Pro
10. 30 Hudson Yards, 1,296ft (395m) - U/C
11. Empire State Building, 1,250ft (381m) [antenna 1,454ft / 443m] - completed
I'm starting to think WTC2 won't happen or will be severely downscaled. Tenants seeking 1 million square feet have for the most part been absorbed, and with office competition being great, and the midtown rezoning, WTC2 will have a hard time. They should make it mixed use, include a residential component, some office geared towards tech tenants, and call it a day. A hotel would do wonders for all of the international business and tourism in the area.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 4:33 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

I'm starting to think WTC2 won't happen or will be severely downscaled. Tenants seeking 1 million square feet have for the most part been absorbed, and with office competition being great, and the midtown rezoning, WTC2 will have a hard time. They should make it mixed use, include a residential component, some office geared towards tech tenants, and call it a day. A hotel would do wonders for all of the international business and tourism in the area.
That would be a major bummer, although it would ruin the spiral effect of the complex which seems to be sacred, so here's to hoping they can just wait it out, despite Silverstein's old age.

I'm more worried about Central Park Tower honestly. It's been the same height now for the better part of a year with seemingly little to no progress. Granted I'm aware the cantilever is complex and takes longer but even taking that into account it seems something is up.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

I'm more worried about Central Park Tower honestly. It's been the same height now for the better part of a year with seemingly little to no progress. Granted I'm aware the cantilever is complex and takes longer but even taking that into account it seems something is up.
It's really hard to see progress from the ground but it seems to be progressing and rising, nonetheless. And forumers that pass by it daily say that the site is always full of activity.

@philip_petrenko

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 12:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
You know, in the early days I was on Silverstein's side and defended his plan(s) for 2WTC. But now it's safe to say, that he is the major reason the building still has no tenant(s). Why? Simple really: because he's greedy! Just take a look at what is happening over at the Hudson Yards - that's what I call a success story. The HY towers are filling up nicely, whereas the WTC is still struggling. It's an embarrassment really. Silverstein is asking too much - no company is willing to pay such high prices when there's cheaper class A office space available somewhere else.

I can't believe that Silverstein is still playing this game - 'tenants will eventually come to the WTC no matter the price'. Yeah sure .. I mean it's been only more than 15 years since 9/11. What is he waiting for?

-----------------------------

https://twitter.com/untappedcities/s...99723406839809

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
That would be a major bummer, although it would ruin the spiral effect of the complex which seems to be sacred, so here's to hoping they can just wait it out, despite Silverstein's old age.

There's zero reason to think that 2 WTC or CPT will be changed. Silverstein has already paid huge money for 2 WTC rights, the project footprint is integral to the entire WTC, there's a shortage of downtown space, and obviously it's a huge city priority.

CPT is right on schedule and the cantilever was always supposed to take many months. There has never been such a cantilever constructed, anywhere, on a supertall. It takes more than month just for the steel to cure for the upcoming, unprecedented weight. A 1,300 foot tower needs to be supported above the cantilever.

And if you want to see progress, just go to any adjacent tower and look down. The cantilever has been buzzing with tons of workers for months, and you see the weekly progress. NY YIMBY has good progress shots.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 1:33 PM

Quote:
You know, in the early days I was on Silverstein's side and defended his plan(s) for 2WTC. But now it's safe to say, that he is the major reason the building still has no tenant(s). Why? Simple really: because he's greedy! Just take a look at what is happening over at the Hudson Yards - that's what I call a success story. The HY towers are filling up nicely, whereas the WTC is still struggling. It's an embarrassment really. Silverstein is asking too much - no company is willing to pay such high prices when there's cheaper class A office space available somewhere else.

I can't believe that Silverstein is still playing this game - 'tenants will eventually come to the WTC no matter the price'. Yeah sure .. I mean it's been only more than 15 years since 9/11. What is he waiting for?

-----------------------------

https://twitter.com/untappedcities/s...99723406839809

Arteries of New York City
>> 3:27

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:41 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
It will be quite a feat when the King 'falls'![/B]

Yep, the current boom eclipses everything mankind has witnessed before.
The ESB is so massive it still (and will for some time) dominate the skyline even when it falls of the top 10. It along with 1WTC are the first buildings you notice when you approach Manhattan.

My wife went and I had a beer in the basement of the ESB a few weeks ago and then walked over to 432 Park Ave and there was simply no comparison in the sheer size and scale of these buildings despite a few hundred foot difference with the latter.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 10:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The ESB is so massive it still (and will for some time) dominate the skyline even when it falls of the top 10. It along with 1WTC are the first buildings you notice when you approach Manhattan.

My wife went and I had a beer in the basement of the ESB a few weeks ago and then walked over to 432 Park Ave and there was simply no comparison in the sheer size and scale of these buildings despite a few hundred foot difference with the latter.
I agree. In the foreseeable future ESB's location and height will guarantee that it stays visible. There are a few 700 and 900 footers planned in the immediate area, but the King still eats them for breakfast.

And congrats for getting married in New York! In the Park Lane Hotel iirc?

----------------

Nice renderings of 30 Hudson Yards by Visualhouse: https://www.instagram.com/visualhouse_life/?hl=de

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
I agree. In the foreseeable future ESB's location and height will guarantee that it stays visible. There are a few 700 and 900 footers planned in the immediate area, but the King still eats them for breakfast.

And congrats for getting married in New York! In the Park Lane Hotel iirc?
Thank you! Yes, Park Lane. We rented out Leona Helmsley's apartment on the 47th floor for the day.

The ESB is so massive and bulky it will even overpower any taller building nearby...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think 220 CPS may actually be a supertall and somehow went from 952 ft to 1,033 ft.

The file extension below seems to indicate this document was on 11/21/16.

Edit: Am I interpreting this right or is this factoring in AMSL (above mean sea level)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 1:09 AM

yeah, I think you might be misinterpreting since if you add the two numbers within the brackets (that are displayed vertically) they add up to 952. womp womp

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 1:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
yeah, I think you might be misinterpreting since if you add the two numbers within the brackets (that are displayed vertically) they add up to 952. womp womp
O dear. I just zoomed in and saw the error.

Well, was excited for the time being.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:30 AM
don't *meddle*...

Yeah, there was some confusion back in 2014, but 1,031 (now 1,033 EL, since it's 952') is the EL figure:

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:07 AM

NYC Pics from me today

FW4A2551 by Kevin Leclerc, on Flickr

FW4A2559 by Kevin Leclerc, on Flickr

FW4A0546 by Kevin Leclerc, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:33 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Wow, the first pic is simply beautiful - great shot! Talk about a supertall canyon ... Coruscant calling.

-----------------

Re: 9DeKalb: Check out the new diagram by koops65:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 12:47 PM
don't *meddle*...

There's a chance that both LIC towers (Court Square City View Tower @984' and Queens Plaza Park @915') will get a height cap (in the 750' range) because the FAA is involved. Let's hope it won't come to that.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:25 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
NYC Pics from me today

FW4A2551 by Kevin Leclerc,
Whoa coruscant, epic photo mang

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its incredible how thin 220 CPS is on the sides. In retrospect, Ingels pyramid should of been taller (if it had a wider base now that I think about it, might mess with the proportions). That structure is a masterpiece. I think it would of fit in more in DoBro.

Incredible times we are in. Riverside Center and its proxies will fill in nicely (left of the shot, cutting off as you head North).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture