HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
In Vancouver, it seems to me that we use LRT and SkyTrain as shorthand for non-grade separated and grade-separated respectively. I don't think anyone on this forum really cares if the trains are long or short and run on third rail or wires.
Exactly. And the technology and vehicles really don't matter - the key issue is grade separation. Trams, full-sized trains, and even buses all get the same benefits from grade separation - fast, cheap to operate, reliable service that can be automated, which in turn allows the kind of high frequencies that SkyTrain riders have become spoiled by.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Exactly. And the technology and vehicles really don't matter - the key issue is grade separation. Trams, full-sized trains, and even buses all get the same benefits from grade separation - fast, cheap to operate, reliable service that can be automated, which in turn allows the kind of high frequencies that SkyTrain riders have become spoiled by.
90% of the argument is the grade separation and 10% is automation (eg as an extension of Skytrain.)

Like had it been sold to us as a grade-separated LRT that wasn't a Skytrain extension, the argument would be "why are we building this super-expensive LRT that doesn't integrate with the existing skytrain" but people would not be opposing it, just advocating for using the same tech so they don't have to transfer.

But instead we get the worst of both bad ideas. So this puts passengers, pedestrians and car drivers at risk in order to save initial capital costs, but ends up paying out more in insurance claims over time when LRV drivers go on perpetual medical leave, and paying out for repairs to LRV's, and damage to the city property during collisions, plus "wrongful death" lawsuits due to lack of safety equipment. The victims that are most frequently bike riders (due to the rails caching the bike tire), wheelchair users (same reason), blind people, and those who are distracted by their phones.

You often hear the argument from LRT operators about "well the pedestrian or vehicle was trespassing, it wasn't preventable", yes it's totally preventable by not designing the LRT in a way trespassing is possible.

Remember that dog that died earlier by running down the Skytrain tracks this year? I wonder how many dogs and cats are hit by LRT's. That dog's death was preventable as well, as it was an operator that decided to resume service with the dog loose. Human decisions into costs are what results in unnecessary loss of life.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
You often hear the argument from LRT operators about "well the pedestrian or vehicle was trespassing, it wasn't preventable", yes it's totally preventable by not designing the LRT in a way trespassing is possible.
Exactly. How do you expect a pedestrian to cross the LRT tracks without trespassing? Do you see how many people get hit by cars because they were jaywalking and the blame is 100%, if not more, on them? You can't shit on LRT when someone gets hit and killed when they were walking on the tracks if you don't shit on drivers when someone gets hit and killed when they were jaywalking.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Exactly. How do you expect a pedestrian to cross the LRT tracks without trespassing? Do you see how many people get hit by cars because they were jaywalking and the blame is 100%, if not more, on them? You can't shit on LRT when someone gets hit and killed when they were walking on the tracks if you don't shit on drivers when someone gets hit and killed when they were jaywalking.
Just look at all the LRT deaths in Calgary. Yikes!!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
Just look at all the LRT deaths in Calgary. Yikes!!
Yeah there were 43 accidental deaths as of February 2014 on Calgary LRT.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Pedestr...183/story.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPELLY View Post
Yeah there were 43 accidental deaths as of February 2014 on Calgary LRT.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Pedestr...183/story.html
And how many human accidental deaths to humans since Skytrain opened. Big fat zero.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 12:12 AM

I recall someone with a backpack getting caught in the doors and dragged to death.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 6:17 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I recall someone with a backpack getting caught in the doors and dragged to death.
Seconded. We've had a few non-suicide incidents where someone was killed but it's a number I can count with one hand in 37 years of service.

Dogs do not count in that number, in case you are wondering.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:59 AM

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
During rush hour east bound, 104th ave can be a parking lot. I can't imagine it being 2 lanes. 108th ave is also already busy so it will take the brunt of 104th traffic as well as 105th ave if it ever gets built.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:47 PM
waves

Every time I visit this thread I feel I am entering a hall of despair. When, oh, when will we see good news here...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Wow, they're actually going through with it. They legitimately are going to build light rail through what will soon be the largest population center in British Columbia.

I can see the headlines a decade from now, and they're not good. Interestingly, all the blame will be placed on Translink similar to how it's being placed today on the Canada Line. It's Richmond and Burnaby that pushed for under building the Canada Line, Translink would have loved to build it bigger and better.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 9:59 PM

Yeah, TransLink's going to need a whole lot of "Don't Blame Us, We Wanted A SkyTrain" signs pretty soon.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
Every time I visit this thread I feel I am entering a hall of despair. When, oh, when will we see good news here...
When Translink announces the extension to Langley.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Yeah, TransLink's going to need a whole lot of "Don't Blame Us, We Wanted A SkyTrain" signs pretty soon.
Let's be real. We all know the media will take every opportunity to spin it way so it's their fault anyways.

When this farce trolley hits the fan, fingers will be pointed undeservedly at Translink again.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:51 AM
Rational urbanist

I still retain hope that this becomes a local election issue in Surrey and that an anti-LRT mayoral candidate beats Hepner. Seems like the only hope at this point.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 1:00 AM

So frustrating, it is like watching an accident happen in slow motion.

People complained about the GMB costing way too much... but at least it would have provided a very robust and well designed corridor of infrastructure... This LRT project will also cost billions, but it will be increadibly underbuilt for the long run (while creating many other mobility issues from the get go)

Yet one project has been canc... sorry, is being re-evaluated, and one is moving full steam ahead without any checks and balances it seems.

Call me crazy, but I am far happier to see a well designed piece of infrastructure constructed that people claim is “overbuilt” than a terribly designed piece of infrastructure that is severely underbuilt...

The most annoying part is everyone will blame Translink for this projects inevitable failures.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurrence View Post
Wow, they're actually going through with it. They legitimately are going to build light rail through what will soon be the largest population center in British Columbia.

I can see the headlines a decade from now, and they're not good. Interestingly, all the blame will be placed on Translink similar to how it's being placed today on the Canada Line. It's Richmond and Burnaby that pushed for under building the Canada Line, Translink would have loved to build it bigger and better.
The issue is that the Mayors' Council is running out of time to get federal funding for any of the 3 projects. Business cases have been written and submitted, and the funding is supposed to be in place before the end of the year. If they miss that deadline, it seriously jeopardizes all of the major works projects.

At this point it's the Mayors' Council pushing on TransLink to push these forwards, and if TransLink were to push back then it probably stops everything.

Our best hope is that the provincial or federal government will review the business case and force reprioritization.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Our best hope is that the provincial or federal government will review the business case and force reprioritization.
Hate to be that person, but the feds and province already committed to funding it... and on top of that, the BC NDP's busy kissing the mayors' asses.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 8:50 AM

http://www.peacearchnews.com/local-n...-park-project/

Wtf? I thought that large green area by the strip mall was part of the park? Goddam Surrey. It's bad enough the large lots that are not official parks get decimated now large green lots that are seemingly parks where they're attached to a park get decimated too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure