HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 1:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Library must be more than fount of knowledge

By Randall Denley, The Ottawa Citizen, June 16, 2009 8:56 AM

OTTAWA — City councillors were quick to recommend the acquisition of a site for a new downtown library Monday. It's difficult to say whether the "yes" on buying the $26-million site reflects well-thought-out enthusiasm for a new library or a stumble ahead without thinking.

The site is a great one, given that it will be located at the new rail transit line's west downtown station and requires little demolition before building. Still, there is no point in owning it unless the city actually intends to build a new library.

Councillors should ultimately support an improved downtown library, but not before asking a lot of questions about the proposal the library board is championing. Library fans support the idea of a new building downtown with cult-like enthusiasm. One would think that a new library was a portal to heaven or, at the very least, something that would change everyone's life.

Library staff say the building will boost daily attendance at the downtown library from the current 3,500 to 10,000. That's good, but it's still just a little more than one per cent of the population, and many of those visitors will be frequent fliers.

The new central library will do little or nothing for library users who rely on the extensive branch system. A central library is critical to the functioning of the branches, but the library board's tentative plan is for a building four times as large as the existing building.

At 350,000 square feet and an estimated cost of $181 million, the proposal is the library's version of a dream home. Library board vice-chair Pamela Sweet acknowledges that this is the "nice to have" plan. Councillors have to determine what Ottawa really needs.

It's a curious paradox of the information age that monumental downtown libraries are all the rage when it has never been easier to acquire information in your own home. That's not to say the library doesn't add value through the knowledge of its staff and the ability to acquire expensive and obscure texts, but the modern library is about much more than books and staff knowledge. Libraries have expanded their services to teach computer skills, languages and résumé writing and offer support for small businesses. Teens are invited in to play video games on library computers.

A skeptic would say that the public library has expanded away from its core businesses in an effort to keep attendance and budgets up. When one's services are perceived to be free, it's not difficult to generate demand. When the library asks for far more space to carry on its diverse services, it is perhaps time for difficult questions about what the library really should be doing.

Don't expect many, though. If the past is a guide, most people in Ottawa have little enthusiasm for critical thinking about the role of a library in the 21st century.

One of the things councillors should ask is whether the plan maximizes the expensive site the city will likely soon acquire. The new library takes up almost all the ground-level space on the site, and is likely to rise in towers of four and eight storeys.

The plan does include about 18,000 square feet for a "heritage gateway," which is city-bureaucrat-speak for a museum. Hallelujah. This city is long overdue for a reasonable public space to tell its interesting story. There are city museums that tell bits and pieces of it, here and there, but the history of our city has never gotten its due.

With its base of public support and its own board and budget, the library is best positioned to fight to the head of the line, but it is not the only cultural need Ottawa has. It looks as if plans to build a concert hall across from City Hall will fall through because the condo building it was part of has not gone ahead. That doesn't take away the need for a mid-sized hall for community groups. The city also needs an art gallery worthy of its impressive municipal collection.

There have been preliminary talks about accommodating the concert hall as part of the library, although the consultant the library has retained isn't convinced it is practical. The building would have broader appeal and better value if it accommodated one or both of those other uses. Councillors should consider paring back the library part of the plan to make this more of a cultural complex.

The library is an expensive project, although it will prove affordable if put in the context of long-term capital spending. Let's just make sure we get maximum value from the plan. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but that doesn't mean we need an expensive monument to it.

Contact Randall Denley at 613-596-3756 or by e-mail,

rdenley@thecitizen.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Li...141/story.html

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 1:27 PM

The description of my arrival at the Library sounded vaguely like arriving at the Centre Pointe Library - complete with pond that becomes a rink. It is about time people started to plan things in Ottawa the way other places plan.

Now, does the new 1,100 seat auditorium work as a new CONCERT HALL? Will it work for community group shows? Are there several meeting rooms? Can they be re-configured easily (joined and divided)? Are there separate, outside accesses to the meeting rooms and auditorium so they can be used outside of library hours?

What other functions can easily be put into the design? Will there be a roof-top garden on the tower for a view while reading? Will the new OTTAWA ROOM have a view of something appropriate? Could the Ottawa Archives not have been included in this building?

I notice that there is only one level of parking. Why not make this a 5 or 7 level parking structure and make it really easy for people from the west and south to leave their cars here and take a free subway or walk into the core? Let's make a reasonably priced parking area here and re-develop all of those surface lots downtown. We can even add a scrubber on the garage exhaust to clean the air. Again, make the subway FREE under the core to encourage people to travel in the core, including to the new library.

Why is the Transit Corridor only 10m down? By this pont, the tunnel is supposed to be about 25m down.

Yes, it is an older picture, but the tunnel profile will be very close for that section - alas, nothing has changed in the west end.

Why, if the plan is to have the tunnel run under Albert is there a Transit Corridor under the building at all? Is this the mezzanine level? If so, then it doesn't need to go the entire building length.

This building has HUGE potential if they could tear down the silos of thought and include design from a number of aspects.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 1:41 PM

Does anyone else find it interesting that spending $181M on eleven stories of building, which includes an integrated underground transit station is too expensive; but it is fine to bury the Baseline Transitway and build a small station for $207M? Who thinks the Library (or preferably Municipal Complex) will receive a LOT more debate than the 10 minutes that the Baseline Station plan got at Committee?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 4:22 PM

When I heard that an auditorium was to be included, I also immediately thought of the Concert Hall. What is happening to the money that was donated towards that project? Can we not combine efforts and make this auditorium also serve as a concert hall? It could potentially make the central library even a more exciting people place.

I have seen a comment before (perhaps here) that the depth of the downtown tunnel is going to make it of limited viability to have it serve as a free fare zone. For many, it will be faster to simply walk, especially with the limited number of downtown stations. A free fare zone such as used in Calgary depends on it being at street level to work well. This brings back the argument that surface LRT would be useful even if the tunnel is built. Hmmm, wouldn't it have been almost ready for service by now?

I had also thought of integrating the Central Library with the Ottawa Archives. Both are used for research and it would have been nice to have the Archives centrally located. I am not sure how viable this would be, since the Archives requires special climate controlled storage and a lot of records that are rarely accessed. This may be the reason why a separate building is being built. At least the archives are being located next to a rapid transit station although there is no direct rapid transit from my part of the city, at least not for decades.

I don't think it is a good idea to have underground parking that is priced below market value. This will just encourage downtown workers to park there first and fill up the garage before library is open on weekdays. I wouldn't mind free parking in the evening and on weekends, however.

I do like the idea of a roof top garden, maybe partly indoors and partly outdoors for reading and relaxing. I wouldn't mind having a place that you can get a meal or a coffee while visiting the library, perhaps as part of the roof top garden. You could spend the whole day there without having to leave the building.

Lastly, I would rather spend $180M on a fabulous downtown library than on a Baseline tunnel. Intensification at Baseline should not cost taxpayers $200M+. I know Baseline station will cost significant money but I keep thinking that we should consider Baseline station as a temporary terminus for LRT and we should be thinking ahead about further extensions.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 2:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Tenants' reactions mixed over plans for new library

By Patrick Dare, The Ottawa Citizen, June 20, 2009

The march of development downtown for a new Ottawa central library may be inevitable, but it will come at a cost for two old apartment buildings, a bank with deep roots in the community and a funky bakery-restaurant.

Some of the people who live and do business on the block identified as the favoured home of a new library wonder why the city doesn't eye the nearby Ottawa Technical High School site instead. Others are resigned to a deal that will force them to make way for a new landmark.

The city and its library board have identified the small block bounded by Albert, Bay, Lyon and Slater streets as the site of a new central library of 300,000 square feet or more. The proposed development would also include offices, stores at street level and residential development. A city committee unanimously endorsed the $26-million property acquisition for the project and council is to make a final decision on Wednesday. The site is described as the perfect western gateway to Ottawa's downtown, linking LeBreton Flats with the business core, and is ideally situated on the current transitway and a future subway line.

Currently, a parking lot, an old house, a large low-rise office building and two apartment buildings are on the block.

Megan O'Connor, one of the managers at the Scone Witch restaurant -- which bakes fresh scones and serves them with an array of preserves and drinks as good music plays -- says the business's location in an old house along the busy transitway has been "weird but perfect." She says guests from nearby hotels patronize the restaurant, as do office workers and downtown residents. "It worries me to think of moving. My biggest concern is disappointing the customers," she says. "We have a lot of regulars."

The owner of the Scone Witch, Heather Matthews, says the city's news comes after a difficult period for the business, which has been on Albert Street for five years. Ottawa's transit workers were on strike this winter for 53 days, something that cost Matthews about $50,000 and "nearly did us in."

While she likes the Albert Street location and she'd prefer not to move, she would like to get an opportunity to run a restaurant in the new library development if the project does go ahead.

Next door, at one of the two apartment buildings on the block, Desmond Kavanagh says the dream of a big-city library will have a large impact on his life. He first lived in the three-storey brick apartment building in 1962 with his parents. When they were gone, he stayed on in the apartment.

He is quick to admit rent control has protected him over the years, and that he's paying much less than his more recent neighbours. But he says the two buildings owned by Michael Fleming should count for something, when city officials are always talking about the need for affordable housing. He wishes the city had focused on the Ottawa Technical High School site next door, which is already in public hands and also received top marks in the site evaluation.

Karen Rowan, property manager at Fleming Property Management, says she and Fleming were in "total shock" over the library-site announcement. She said there are 28 apartments in the two red-brick buildings, about half of which have been occupied by the same people for more than 20 years. Fleming bought the buildings in 1998.

On Friday, a work crew was doing parging work on the foundation walls of the buildings, which were built in the 1930s. Rowan says brickwork has recently been repointed and hallways have been renovated. The apartments, in the middle range of the rental market, feature hardwood floors, French doors and fireplace mantles. Rowan says it "breaks my heart" to think of the retired tenants, living on fixed incomes, losing their homes and the sturdy brick buildings being torn down for the library project.

The biggest property owner on the block is Alterna Savings, formerly the Civil Service Co-op, which is generally supportive of the city's project. John Lahey, president of Alterna, says his organization got a call a few days before the site selection news was made public. But he says there's been nothing official.

"Our intention is to co-operate," says Lahey. "It would be a good place for the library."

There has been some discussion at the city about a possible partnership with landowners, but Lahey says that wouldn't be practical during a long construction period, since Alterna operates both its head office and a busy branch out of the location.

Irene Kaczmarek, owner of the house that holds the Scone Witch, says she will "go with the crowd" on the block and sell to the city if that's what is wanted. She has owned the old house for 45 years, but is ready to make way for what could be "a beautiful block" in the centre of the city.

"Nothing lasts forever," says Kaczmarek. "Life changes. You sort of go with the flow."

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Busines...151/story.html

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
When I heard that an auditorium was to be included, I also immediately thought of the Concert Hall. What is happening to the money that was donated towards that project? Can we not combine efforts and make this auditorium also serve as a concert hall? It could potentially make the central library even a more exciting people place.

I have seen a comment before (perhaps here) that the depth of the downtown tunnel is going to make it of limited viability to have it serve as a free fare zone. For many, it will be faster to simply walk, especially with the limited number of downtown stations. A free fare zone such as used in Calgary depends on it being at street level to work well. This brings back the argument that surface LRT would be useful even if the tunnel is built. Hmmm, wouldn't it have been almost ready for service by now?

I had also thought of integrating the Central Library with the Ottawa Archives. Both are used for research and it would have been nice to have the Archives centrally located. I am not sure how viable this would be, since the Archives requires special climate controlled storage and a lot of records that are rarely accessed. This may be the reason why a separate building is being built. At least the archives are being located next to a rapid transit station although there is no direct rapid transit from my part of the city, at least not for decades.

I don't think it is a good idea to have underground parking that is priced below market value. This will just encourage downtown workers to park there first and fill up the garage before library is open on weekdays. I wouldn't mind free parking in the evening and on weekends, however.

I do like the idea of a roof top garden, maybe partly indoors and partly outdoors for reading and relaxing. I wouldn't mind having a place that you can get a meal or a coffee while visiting the library, perhaps as part of the roof top garden. You could spend the whole day there without having to leave the building.

Lastly, I would rather spend $180M on a fabulous downtown library than on a Baseline tunnel. Intensification at Baseline should not cost taxpayers $200M+. I know Baseline station will cost significant money but I keep thinking that we should consider Baseline station as a temporary terminus for LRT and we should be thinking ahead about further extensions.
I totally agree with you - the Baseline intensification should not cost anywhere near $200M. The library is a much better use of municipal taxpayers' money, and the location is an excellent one (help improve Downtown West as well).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 7:54 PM

Well, if the landlords and businesses get relocated, it sounds like they are going to be paid rather handsomely for their land in the process. This happened to one of my parents neighbours in Brantford...he owned a small ranch and farmland in the northeast portion of the city, and the Municipality and developers paid him a boatload of money to leave (they put the Wayne Gretzky Parkway extension through the land, as well as shopping centres, restaurants and car dealerships on the land).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 1:50 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Council votes to buy land for new downtown library
Property acquisition to cost up to $26M

By Patrick Dare, The Ottawa Citizen, June 25, 2009

Ottawa Council voted 20-1 Wednesday to go ahead with buying the land downtown for a new central library.

Council approved acquisition of the city block bounded by Albert, Slater, Lyon and Bay streets. The property acquisition will cost as much as $26 million, though actual costs of the land purchases may be considerably less.

The decision is a critical first step in the construction of what is expected to be a new landmark for the western part of downtown; a 345,000-square-foot building that would replace the much smaller current library on Metcalfe Street.

The city will now negotiate with several property owners on the chosen site.

A couple of councillors expressed concern about the proposed site. Councillor Rainer Bloess questioned staff at length about why Lansdowne Park -- a property already in the city's hands in need of redevelopment -- was not being used.

Bloess said that a central library could make Lansdowne into a lively public site. While the library's evaluation of Lansdowne faults the site for its lack of transit service, Bloess noted that 50,000 people have converged on Lansdowne for some events.

But Councillor Jan Harder, chairwoman of the city's library board, said that the new main library must be in the downtown, accessible to all residents. The Albert Street site is on the current bus-transitway and at the proposed location of the western downtown subway station.

City manager Kent Kirkpatrick said the big new library would not fit onto the Lansdowne site without affecting other plans for the site.

Councillors said there were other sites on the shortlist, such as the Lorne Building on Elgin Street, but they were not available.

Councillor Diane Holmes noted the library project has been under way for 15 years. "It's the most accessible piece of land in the entire city."

The only councillor to vote against the site was Gord Hunter.

Harder said the project still has many hurdles to pass and will take many years to design, raise funds for and build. The project has been estimated to cost $181 million, though that figure is very preliminary.

The development for the city block, as envisioned by the library board, would be close to 700,000 square feet, including housing, offices and stores. The city aims to create a lively new city block that will help cover some of the costs of new library building.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Council+votes+land+downtown+library/1729837/story.html

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Well, if the landlords and businesses get relocated, it sounds like they are going to be paid rather handsomely for their land in the process. This happened to one of my parents neighbours in Brantford...he owned a small ranch and farmland in the northeast portion of the city, and the Municipality and developers paid him a boatload of money to leave (they put the Wayne Gretzky Parkway extension through the land, as well as shopping centres, restaurants and car dealerships on the land).
I know the area...if I'm correct, I don't believe that there are any driveways or entrances linking directly on to Wayne Gretzky Parkway

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:27 PM

Anyone see this one?

Quote:
City union pitches Lansdowne for new library site

By DEREK PUDDICOMBE, Sun Media

One of the city’s big unions wants council to reconsider the chosen site for a new central library.

In a newsletter distributed Wednesday and titled “Restoring sanity to plans for building a new central library in Ottawa,” CUPE Local 503 says the city should be eyeing Lansdowne Park as a site to build a new $200 million main library and do away with the site at Bay and Albert streets.

Union spokesman, Clarence Dungey, said the new site doesn’t make any sense. The city could save the $26 million to purchase the land downtown because it already owns the Lansdowne property.

“It’s inadequate and it’s absolutely the wrong location,” said Dungey.

The union says the city argument that the downtown site is the best because it will be close to rapid transit isn’t a good one. Lansdowne Park has never had problems attracting and accommodating thousands of visitors, he argued.

Dungey said councillors sold on the idea have been “mesmerized” by the notion that the new site would be a great location.

“It’s balderdash,” he said.

A city consultant shot back that Lansdowne Park shouldn’t be considered for a new library and any new central library should be near a light rail transit line.

“I think council is on the right track with this,” said Graham Bird, who was hired by the city to evaluate the Lansdowne Live proposal, an unsolicited plan by a group of Ottawa businessmen to redevelop the park. “The central library should be where kids and where people can get at it. It’s great.”

Gloucester-Southgate Coun. Diane Deans is a former long-time member of the Ottawa Public Library Board and agrees that if the city proceeds with plans to build a new central library, it should be in the downtown core — not at Lansdowne Park.

“It doesn’t strike me as the appropriate site,” said Deans. “Lansdowne Park is removed from the downtown core and it (the new library) should be in the heart of the city.”

Deans said even if the city goes ahead with the land acquisition and doesn’t build the library, the city won’t lose financially.

“Any land acquisition is a good investment,” she said. “If we don’t build, we could sell the land at a profit.”

City Manager Kent Kirkpatrick said building a library at Lansdowne Park would likely mean the removal of Frank Clair Stadium.

City council voted 20-1 Wednesday in favour of spending $26 million to purchase the land for the new library.
Link

*headdesk*

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 9:10 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Yeah, this morning. I literally stopped cold when I saw the headline. I never pick up that 24 Hours paper (even though it's "Freakin' Free" as their ads say) but I ran for a copy. I guess it worked as a media stunt. They must've found some bozo to spew off about something high profile on a slow news day. It's hard to take the guy seriously and, after the bus strike, unions make perfect villains, especially seeing how popular the new central library site has turned out to be in general public opinion.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 9:20 PM

Insert evil Glebite grins here ____________. Can you guess what neighbourhood Dungey live in or is closely connected to? Wouldn't it just be the greatest to replace a noisy stadium with arguably one of the best possible neighbours, a library? Sorry guys, this one's gotta be front and centre. We can't spend all this money on what will hopefully be a city landmark to have it outside of the parliamentary precinct. The Glebe is a great neighbourhood and they already have their community library just across the canal. The central library needs to be central and I can't think of a more central place.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Insert evil Glebite grins here ____________. Can you guess what neighbourhood Dungey live in or is closely connected to? Wouldn't it just be the greatest to replace a noisy stadium with arguably one of the best possible neighbours, a library? Sorry guys, this one's gotta be front and centre. We can't spend all this money on what will hopefully be a city landmark to have it outside of the parliamentary precinct. The Glebe is a great neighbourhood and they already have their community library just across the canal. The central library needs to be central and I can't think of a more central place.
Exactly. While I'm sure Glebites would like nothing more than turning Lansdowne into a place where saying "Shhh!" is not only allowed, but encouraged, it's way too far from the core for a "central" library, and the site has so many more uses which are more valuable (like, I dunno, professional football or something?) to waste it on a library. Downtown or bust on this one.

I was against the floated proposals for a Bayview library for the same reason... what's the point of a central library that's not right in the centre?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 12:19 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Lansdowne Park has never had problems attracting and accommodating thousands of visitors, he argued.
Yes, but those were loud, obnoxious drunken sports fans, just like those you'd find at a library.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 12:58 PM

I LOVE the sheer indecision demonstrated with any development or project in this city!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I LOVE the sheer indecision demonstrated with any development or project in this city!
It's a constant power struggle between massive egos. Everyone would rather hear their own voices then shut up and take a back seat to others' good ideas.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 8:49 PM

^True. Although I'm blown away by the sudden almost-decisiveness of the council's vote to buy the land (20-1, with who else but Gord "Philistine" Hunter the lone dissenter). I expect squabbling will start once the process begins to lurch forward. Brooks will likely try to link the library to rural vs. urban issues and then try to bring the wind farm moratorium to the table somehow. And Holmes will argue that an 8-storey structure is too tall for the neighbourhood. And then Leadman will come up with a proposal that the thing be built on Carling Avenue. And the circus will degenerate from there. Perhaps the transportation committee is in cahoots with the library committee to use the central library project as a diversionary tactic to distract attention away from the LRT project until shovels can be put into the ground? No, that's expecting way too much.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 5:01 AM
National Capital Region

City gears up to buy site for new central library
http://communities.canada.com/ottawa...l-library.aspx
The purchase of a downtown site for a new central library is expected to take place in May or June 2010.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 2:40 PM

the purchase is good news, but

"We are going to invest in a city block – the only under-developed block left in the downtown – and we are going to someday build a new central library there," says councillor Jan Harder, chairwoman of the Ottawa Public Library Board.

Someday? Way to be ambitious there Ottawa.
I want this thing planned and built. Not even a target date? No money in the budget even for planning?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 5:14 PM
National Capital Region

Hey now, don't rush them. They have a process to follow.

First they have to decide who's going to design it. Maybe they'll try again for a design competition. Unfortunately they've just lost their design review panel, so they'll have to reconstitute that first, which will take some time just to find some architects and urban designers who aren't already pissed off at them.

Then when they're nearing getting the design competition underway, some private consortium might come along and offer to develop the site in exchange for some kind of apparently beneficial deal, which of course some of our non-urban councillors will latch onto as the GREATEST IDEA, EVER, so they'll cancel the design competition and then embark on a multi-year meandering negotiation without any meaningful consultation, and, at the end of which, will produce a mediocre plan that will likely be fought by community groups for all manner of reasons as all sides descend into bickering hysteria.

Meanwhile they'll be planning on boring a tunnel right past the site without integrating it with the library or making use of the opportunity the library presents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa