HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:42 PM

Something needs to be done along the Transway 1C corridore. There is too much traffic. Howard avenue is 6 lanes infront of Devonshire mall and the traffic still gets backed up several intersections behind. And it's getting worse. BRT in this corridore would need it's own lane. LRT would be nice, but there is really no where to build it, unfortunately. Maybe some day who ever is in charge of this will do something about it.

KW, Hamilton, Ottawa and Toronto are all either adding or expanding their Rapid Transit services. Most of this expansion is being paid for by the federal gov't. The only thing Windsor has done in the last 5 years is add 29 Hybrid buses. Several neighbourhoods have deficient or no transit service. I think it's Windsor's turn to do something.

Maybe a raised rail over Oullette (downtown) to Howard (devonshire mall) to division to provincial (Legacy Park). It would be pricey, of course, but it would be an excellent solution.

Any thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:39 AM

though my thought isnt really realistic in a city this small, I think the best way to get people to really take public transit and to help congestion in the future as Windsor grows (if it does) would be an LRT that is at and below grade like a subway. Windsor is a very long east-west city unlike most other ontario cities that are build in a circle coming out from Downtown in the centre.

Basically a LRT line would be mostly tunnled (like a subway From West windsor Under Tecumseh until it reached Tecumseh mall, Then it would be at grade stopping at the WFCU Centre on its way to the large shopping plaza in the town of Tecumseh. A second below grade line would connect at Ouellette and run downtown with a complementary at grade line running students between the main and downtown campus at the U. A third line could be considered to Devonshire mall.

Basically with these two lines a large number of people would be able to reach the downtown without ever having to drive or park. People could also rapidly get from the West end to the East for shopping at Tecumseh mall or to a Spitfire or Express game at the WFCU Centre. Folks in our eastern suburb would be able to get downtown or to the University using quick public transit, something that hasn't been available to them for a long time.

This is only a pipe dream but it would be affective, Windsor can act like a big city from time to time but if it really wants to be one, then it needs to put money where big citys do, one of those places being public transit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:33 AM

BRT would work in the 1C corridore. It would be better to have LRT but BRT is cheaper and still somewhat effective. The 1A corridore would have to be grade-separated LRT because of high traffic volumes in the area.

Another issue is station and infrastructure. Howard avenue and Oullette avenue are very densely built, (until the mall, that is) and it would be very costly to purchase and clear the right of way. Even before construction can start, there will be that upfront cost. Maintenance costs would be an issue as well.

The only way to pay for the system would be to bid for federal and provincial grants. At least right now, I don't think the provincial government will give us any money, they just spent $2B on a new highway.

Municipal taxes would become an issue as well. Windsorites are growing accustomed to property taxes remaining incredibly low and any increase would be highly unwelcomed by most.

That said, we could have sponsors for each station to try and get the cost down. There would also be great advertising opportunities as well since so many people would use it. I'm not sure how much a difference this would make, however.

So yes, a train in Windsor really is dreamer talk, at least for now.

Another thing I have been pondering is an inter-urban that could use the Chrysler greenway ROW as it used to, stopping in Harrow, Kingsville and leamington. This would be perfect with the LRT because it would go to Legacy park, where the North to south LRT line would run, allowing riders to transfer directly into LRT to get downtown or to Devonshire mall, etc. (I can post a pic, if I must)

--------

Also, An Armando's Pizza is going to be opened inside the WFCU center:

Read more: http://windsorite.ca/2012/09/opening...e-wfcu-centre/

When a pizza booth opening is the most interesting developement for a month, you realize how dead this city has been lately when it comes to developements. Maybe if we had rapid transit, someone would build a highrise in the city.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:00 PM

really the only way this could come together is if the province and the feds heavily funded public transit again. I guess a good idea for stations would be to use empty store fronts as the endtrance to the concoure for under ground station. A few good ideas for stations would be to put some inside of Devonshire mall, Tecumseh Mall, WFCU Centre, Transit Centre, Possibly the CAW Student Centre? again, just a pipe dream.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 2:35 PM

I was walking through Walkerville last week and noticed something I've been waiting forever to see, the Walkerville Lofts are OPEN and have people moved in and living in them! I was pleasantly surprised as I was getting worried that they may never open. Hopefully the remaining lofts sell better now that it's open and interested buyers can move in immediately.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I was walking through Walkerville last week and noticed something I've been waiting forever to see, the Walkerville Lofts are OPEN and have people moved in and living in them! I was pleasantly surprised as I was getting worried that they may never open. Hopefully the remaining lofts sell better now that it's open and interested buyers can move in immediately.
You mean Club Lofts?

http://www.clublofts.com/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 12:18 AM

Yes, sorry, Club Lofts

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 1:54 PM

Charley's Brew Pub has reopended. Not that I ever go there, but drove by the other day and it feels like nothing ever happened.

Supposedly they renovated the place... thank god.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 8:49 PM

Transit Times

Transit REALLY needs improvement in Windsor! I took the Bus from my house in south Windsor to Forest Glade arena yesterday, The Dougall 6 picked me up at 6:30pm (on time) and i was at the terminal at 6:55. I had to wait for the 1C which was late (about 8 minutes) and arrived at 7:27. I finally arrived at Forest Glade at 8:30. This means it took *2 HOURS* to get from south Windsor to the east end. In that time, i could have driven all the way to London, Ontario. I understand that, being a bus service there isn't much they can do about this, but why can't the city build a new, FASTER transit service? Even a cheap BRT that has signal priority and fewer stops would be REALLY nice. And what is with the Dougall 6 going through a random neighbourhood? why not just straight down Oullette? it would be much faster.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 2:08 AM

Does anybody know what is happening with BYD deal? or the Downtown "Urban Mall"? We really need these new buses. If the deal has been cancelled, then the city should invest in some articulated buses so that they can increase capacity on the busier routes. Believe it or not, even the 5,6 and 7 get really full in the morning, and the Transway buses blown right past people because they get full.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Does anybody know what is happening with BYD deal? or the Downtown "Urban Mall"? We really need these new buses. If the deal has been cancelled, then the city should invest in some articulated buses so that they can increase capacity on the busier routes. Believe it or not, even the 5,6 and 7 get really full in the morning, and the Transway buses blown right past people because they get full.
Downtown urban mall is a no-go and has been put on hold or is possibly not going to happen at all.

BYD deal, who knows...

The bus system in Windsor sucks.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 8:23 PM

As someone that uses the 1C everyday to get downtown and back, I can say that calling the service bad, is being way way way to nice. BRT or LRT is badly badly needed. is is a massive East-West city and anything running in those directions needs to be be moving faster then traffic with fewer stops and signal priority.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 2:30 AM

Angry

I rode the 1A today and have decided that it didn't really take too long, but the bus was full; we had to turn 4 people away at Howard and Tecumseh. The 1C however, has MANY issues. Most importantly, it takes too long and is over capacity on weekdays.

aBRT would not be a very good option for 1C because of the congestion on Tecumseh road. BRT would simply not fit; there is not enough room to widen the road in most locations. Streetcars are a poor option because they would cost millions and be just as slow as the buses, albeit with larger capacity. So the only option to improve significantly is a grade separated Metro/monorail/LRT line. (Underground would cost about $10billion+ so that is out of consideration) it should replace the 1C and closely follow its route. The 1A would no longer go to the depot and instead would stop at the rapid line. It should also use Articulated buses. This would mean less buses needed for the 1A and more riders for the rapid transit line.

I think someone should start a group or something demanding something be done about this, it is a real big issue for some. I can't get a job in the east end because it would take nearly 2 hours to get there by bus (I don't like cars). If I want to go to Tecumseh mall or something, I have to leave WAY earlier than I acceptable. I don't think that should happen in a city this size. Regional transit would also be nice. I am seriously jealous of Toronto right now and their provincially funded transit projects.

Now, more realistically, I think the city should buy some new Nova Buses. They changed the interiors and they are gorgeous. Better lit, LCD screans showing stops and ads and panels next to the doors that glow when a stop is requested. They even have electric vehicles coming out next year.

And I think I heard somewhere that Eddie will announce something about the Windsor Arena sometime in the next two months. It would be really nice to have a new, more modern market

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 1:00 PM

I'm really hoping that he will announce that the market is a go, and both sides managed to come to an agreement. This project is too important to let die over small details.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 1:26 AM

source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...n-tunnels.html

I know this is from last month, but there is no post about it and it is quite interesting.

One thing that stood out in particular,
Quote:
"Let's have some discussions on closing down streets on a more permanent basis, creating friendly pedestrian opportunities," he said. "I think there's a link to public transit if you do that, because I think it creates more of a desire to use public transit."
...What public transit? people can only use transit if it is available to them and there is room for them.

I was also researching Farhi Holdings and found lots of hints that he may be planning on developing his sites soon based on the hints he left when he was being interviewed earlier this year. he said he couldn't say what he had planned for the sites, but that it wasn't small. anyway there are four sites, likely they will be high rises (condos, office, retail)... the lots are zoned 26 Floor mix use. If he builds on these spaces, it would bring many people to the area, adding to what the aquatic centre will bring. There will also be very limited parking, meaning more people wanting to use transit.

SO, we need to start telling Francis that we need alternative transit modes like a metro/RT/LRT line, at least through downtown out to Howard and Tecumseh, but preferably to Devonshire mall.

It should not run on the street, it should be grade separated and fast. If i were designing it, i would have it start at above groud at Oak Ave, Just east of downtown. Second station being at the transit terminal just before diving underground. 3rd station would be underground at Caesars Windsor. 4th at the new market if it happens... 5th, Erie & Oullette, just before it becomes above ground again. 6th at Oullette and Tecumseh Rd, 7th Howard & Tecumseh, 8th at Howard & Eugenie and finally, Devonshire mall.

This would quickly connect downtown residents and tourists to Devonshire mall and south windsor residents to Caesars, the river front, the aquatic centre and the transit terminal.

Meanwhile, the transway 1C would have some stops eliminated and maybe signal priority, improving trip times, before another line eventually is built from Howard to WFCU. I would not run the rail all the way to UWindsor, as there would be significantly less ridership that way during summer/weekends and would instead run hourly express buses between the terminal and the campus.

It would be pricey, but I think we could convince Eddie to do it, he loves Windsor and isn't afraid of a radical idea. I'd hope the government of Ontario and Canada could also help fund capitol costs, they would be quite high.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 3:25 AM

Farhi is full of talk, and he talks a lot so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I think your transit dreams for Windsor are just that, dreams. Windsor is a car oriented town many people are probably much like myself and that is once you get a car you completely forget about the bus. I haven't stepped foot on, nor wanted to step foot on a bus in probably 15 years.

The mentality in Windsor is that the bus for the most part, is for people who can't afford a car. You would be hard pressed to see any of these ideas come to fruition with the exception of a few like a U of W shuttle for the downtown campus, a shuttle for the downtown core, and a BRT/articulated bus put on such routes as the 1c and crosstown 2. That's my guess.

In Windsor the car rules.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
Farhi is full of talk, and he talks a lot so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I think your transit dreams for Windsor are just that, dreams. Windsor is a car oriented town many people are probably much like myself and that is once you get a car you completely forget about the bus. I haven't stepped foot on, nor wanted to step foot on a bus in probably 15 years.

The mentality in Windsor is that the bus for the most part, is for people who can't afford a car. You would be hard pressed to see any of these ideas come to fruition with the exception of a few like a U of W shuttle for the downtown campus, a shuttle for the downtown core, and a BRT/articulated bus put on such routes as the 1c and crosstown 2. That's my guess.

In Windsor the car rules.
Its sad but true. I would LOVE a metro or LRT but this is a old city (people and mentality wise) in order to get something like this done Windsor would need to be able to start attracting the young professional. Much like K-W or Toronto. Its sad to say but older people are set in their ways and Windsor has a very larger boomer population that isn't key on public transit or participation in it. This idea is a very real possibility in the future but it has to start with a culture change in this city. That means brining the city back from the edge and attracting young people here. sadly, were marketing Windsor as a great retirement centre. This can only hinder us long term.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 9:17 PM

I am a curious, as a fellow-Ontarian, but not Windsorite....

What the consensus is on attractive or retaining the above-mentioned young professionals?

My off-hand thought is the greatest opportunity is probably through the public sector.

That is through U Windsor first; and latterly through healthcare.

I think if Windsor were given a mega-hospital (to replace the current two); located near the downtown, and it were also a teaching hospital, because U Windsor got a full medical school; that would help attract and retain many younger people both in the Healthcare sector but also through increased enrollment at the University in general.

I think the University, given its location could take on a much larger student body, particularly students from across the river (the U.S.) whose parent would be thrilled to send them to a 'safe' school as opposed to those on the Detroit side.

But it does have to have the diversity of programs (such as the aforementioned medical school), greater post-graduate opportunities and of course the approved capacity (say another 2,000 foreign students?)

My other thought is that Windsor needs get a few entertainment facilities in its downtown to spark the life that young professionals often crave, which would in turn lure new residential development and later work space/office development.

In that regard, I think perhaps the best opportunity would be to get Cineplex to shut down the Silvercity and instead build a 'flagship' cinema downtown with 12+ regular screens and IMAX and maybe some VIP cinemas as well.

Obviously that's a private sector decision; but I wonder if the City could 'incent' such a move?

Thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
I am a curious, as a fellow-Ontarian, but not Windsorite....

What the consensus is on attractive or retaining the above-mentioned young professionals?

My off-hand thought is the greatest opportunity is probably through the public sector.

That is through U Windsor first; and latterly through healthcare.

I think if Windsor were given a mega-hospital (to replace the current two); located near the downtown, and it were also a teaching hospital, because U Windsor got a full medical school; that would help attract and retain many younger people both in the Healthcare sector but also through increased enrollment at the University in general.

I think the University, given its location could take on a much larger student body, particularly students from across the river (the U.S.) whose parent would be thrilled to send them to a 'safe' school as opposed to those on the Detroit side.

But it does have to have the diversity of programs (such as the aforementioned medical school), greater post-graduate opportunities and of course the approved capacity (say another 2,000 foreign students?)

My other thought is that Windsor needs get a few entertainment facilities in its downtown to spark the life that young professionals often crave, which would in turn lure new residential development and later work space/office development.

In that regard, I think perhaps the best opportunity would be to get Cineplex to shut down the Silvercity and instead build a 'flagship' cinema downtown with 12+ regular screens and IMAX and maybe some VIP cinemas as well.

Obviously that's a private sector decision; but I wonder if the City could 'incent' such a move?

Thoughts?
It would be fantastic for the city if the mega-hospital were built downtown, but reading the recent report in the Windsor Star leads me to believe this is a bit of a pipe dream since 50-60 acres of land are supposedly required. I think the county would probably object to this seeing as they would like the new facility to be more accessible than the existing ones.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyrne2014 View Post
It would be fantastic for the city if the mega-hospital were built downtown, but reading the recent report in the Windsor Star leads me to believe this is a bit of a pipe dream since 50-60 acres of land are supposedly required. I think the county would probably object to this seeing as they would like the new facility to be more accessible than the existing ones.

Hmm, I think anyone suggesting that kind of land area is leading people down the garden path.

I just measured out the campus Toronto General Hospital and it occupies roughly 8 acres.

While Sunnybrook, which must (I think) the the largest hospital complex in the province, or darn close....occupies about 22 acres ( a big chunk of which is surface parking)

So I think 20 acres would be plenty; and 10 would probably do fine for a Windsor facility with the proviso that parking would be underground or in a garage/parkade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario