HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 9:23 PM

Wifi

I heard there was free Internet in the city? Who puts it on and what are the speeds like?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 9:34 PM

http://www.wirelesshamilton.com/ answered my questions. Looks like it's only guaranteed to September.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 2:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
I heard there was free Internet in the city? Who puts it on and what are the speeds like?
Hey Millstone, I started a post a while back re: wireless Hamilton here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=145008

Here's a rough map for the Downtown Wireless Zone

As for service, it depends on what you're using?
If you have a laptop and just want to sit in Gore Park and people watch while typing away, or inside a place like Infusions (preferrably the patio), then you're ok.

But if you have an Ipod Touch, walking while trying to surf the net is a lil more difficult. You'd be best to stop when the signal is strongest, find a thread you want to read (assuming you're as addicted to SSP as me), and then continue walking. Then stop and surf then walk ahahaha It's kind of annoying.

If you're driving or bussing it thru the core, don't even bother. You wont have time to catch a signal. And if you're using an Ipod Touch, #1 most important thing, PAY ATTENTION ! ! ! hahaha
I've walked into a lady one day, and almost had the snow from ontop of London Tap House shovelled onto my head if it wasn't for a worker at
street-level who saved me! hahaha

ps: EMAIL THEM (http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...ltonsurvey.htm) and let them know you want to project extended past September. Also tell them how they can improve service. They REALLY want feedback on this thing, and would love to one day see Hamilton completely wifi like Philly already is!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 5:57 PM

Hi DC83, I live in the Annex and can't pick up the municipal signal, but I can see about 4 other networks, 1 unsecured.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 6:07 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Hi DC83, I live in the Annex and can't pick up the municipal signal, but I can see about 4 other networks, 1 unsecured.
Ya, it's kinda iffy. I can be right at King/John (under one of the routers), and get no signal... yet be at the Tim's at John/Jackson ('outside' the range) and get a signal.

I live in Corktown, Charlton/Walnut area which is also outside the city's signal, but everyone in my bldg had their's locked... so I went out and WiFi'd my whole apt.

and if there's an unsecured singal at ur place, TAKE IT haha I wont tell.

ps: Nice lofts! I was in a 2bed unit a couple times and loved it. I went to view them unfinished, didn't like it so much. It's amazing what some colour & furniture can do to a place... like sell it! haha

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
Ya, it's kinda iffy. I can be right at King/John (under one of the routers), and get no signal... yet be at the Tim's at John/Jackson ('outside' the range) and get a signal.

I live in Corktown, Charlton/Walnut area which is also outside the city's signal, but everyone in my bldg had their's locked... so I went out and WiFi'd my whole apt.

and if there's an unsecured singal at ur place, TAKE IT haha I wont tell.

ps: Nice lofts! I was in a 2bed unit a couple times and loved it. I went to view them unfinished, didn't like it so much. It's amazing what some colour & furniture can do to a place... like sell it! haha
Yeah I know. I looked at 3 other units in the place before this one, all were furnished, except this one, which was vacant the whole time. I still have all white walls, I should probably paint something soon. Besides some of the MORONS that live here, and the crackheads living outside the north exit, it's pretty decent.

Having said that, there's a lot of concrete here and it's not conducive to a strong wireless signal. I'll see if I can get an antenna by the window.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hammer'd

A bit off topic but I would love to have a loft unit in your building. Every time I walk by on Rebecca I look up in the windows and get all jealous.

<3 lofts

The vacancy looks kinda moderate in the building. I only noticed like 2 or 3 lofts that actually look occupied. It's also a shame that the retail on the main floor is empty. There's certainly some promise in that space for a nice cafe or something. An internet cafe would be awesome there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
A bit off topic but I would love to have a loft unit in your building. Every time I walk by on Rebecca I look up in the windows and get all jealous.

<3 lofts

The vacancy looks kinda moderate in the building. I only noticed like 2 or 3 lofts that actually look occupied. It's also a shame that the retail on the main floor is empty. There's certainly some promise in that space for a nice cafe or something. An internet cafe would be awesome there.
hi matt602,

I think there are 4-5 retail locations downstairs. Last time I talked to the manager about it in January, there was no interest. I agree, it would be the perfect patio. If some of these properties on King William can get on their feet (Lister!) then Rebecca may be next! However as it is, there's a huge monolithic mall (City Centre) down the road that really needs to be blown up and be re-replaced with storefronts..grr. As far as residential vacancy, there is only 1 lockbox on the front door right now. There are definitely more than 2 or 3 occupants (my math puts it at 39). I would say anything with curtains in the window is being lived in. A lot of units are rented out by the owners.

The one for sale is here. First 3 floors have 13' ceilings, 4th has 17' ceilings.

Last edited by Millstone; Mar 23, 2008 at 11:29 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion