HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 10:56 PM

Global did a piece on it the other night. Closing due to the change in business. The owner said downtown isn't a destination for dining anymore (his words) ... when he started, there was nothing out in the suburbs, but now with parking, and just having to go back into crowded downtown, not that many people want to eat there when there are a lot of fine dining options in the burbs. He still says the core is hopping during the day, but just not in the evening in regards to dining experiences ... I don't know how true that is given some of the new dining experiences downtown, but that's his take on it.

Global also said there was going to be an auction of some of the memorabilia I believe later in January, but I can't remember the date.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post
Global did a piece on it the other night. Closing due to the change in business. The owner said downtown isn't a destination for dining anymore (his words) ... when he started, there was nothing out in the suburbs, but now with parking, and just having to go back into crowded downtown, not that many people want to eat there when there are a lot of fine dining options in the burbs. He still says the core is hopping during the day, but just not in the evening in regards to dining experiences ... I don't know how true that is given some of the new dining experiences downtown, but that's his take on it.

Global also said there was going to be an auction of some of the memorabilia I believe later in January, but I can't remember the date.
More like what appeals to Calgarians has evolved in the last 30 years and Mother Tucker's hasn't. Folks are no longer wowed by the Mother Tucker dining experience.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 11:14 PM

I was going to mention the same thing. On the news, he mentioned that people aren't willing to come downtown anymore to eat out. I think what he meant to say was, people aren't willing to come downtown to eat what Tucker's was serving. There are plenty of restaurants that do very well downtown, but they draw people for a reason. Although I've heard Tucker's did a great prime rib, there are many restaurants that offer the standard menu that Tucker's did, and that is what put them out - in my opinion of course. You could get much of the same thing elsewhere, so why make a trip for Tucker's?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 5:09 AM

Wasn't surprised to see the reno's to the Mac Hall food court still aren't completed. Getting closer though, they had a sheet of drywall removed from the front of 2 of the 4 new vendors and they were to the point of installing the sinks, etc. Maybe by family day they might be done?

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 7:41 PM

While one relic is closing its doors another is either relocating or opening a second location. Chicken-On-The-Way is opening a location on 17th Ave SE. A welcome addition to International Avenue.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 8:24 PM
Original Member since '99

is Teatros still a decent place to eat

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
While one relic is closing its doors another is either relocating or opening a second location. Chicken-On-The-Way is opening a location on 17th Ave SE. A welcome addition to International Avenue.
I never understood the appeal of Chicken on the way. It has to be the worst chicken I have ever had. I tried it once to see what the deal was, thought it was gross. Two years later I thought I'd give it another chance in case the first time wasnt a true representation, but nope, just as bad the second time around.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
I never understood the appeal of Chicken on the way. It has to be the worst chicken I have ever had. I tried it once to see what the deal was, thought it was gross. Two years later I thought I'd give it another chance in case the first time wasnt a true representation, but nope, just as bad the second time around.
I have to have a debilitating hangover for me to eat there. Luckily it's been more than a few years since that has happened.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 6:01 AM

Teatro has a lot of wow factor, but the food is overpriced for what you get. There are many restaurants with a similar price point that are much better, in my opinion. I guess it depends on what you are looking for when you go out.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 6:10 AM

we used to have a mother tuckers here that closed in the early 90's was it the concept as here - the one here was sort of like a buffet with a huge salad bar - you would order your meat and go to the carveryt to get it and the salad bar and meat room were sort of in their own rooms sort of like a mothers "house" it was kinda dark and moody

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 5:47 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
we used to have a mother tuckers here that closed in the early 90's was it the concept as here - the one here was sort of like a buffet with a huge salad bar - you would order your meat and go to the carveryt to get it and the salad bar and meat room were sort of in their own rooms sort of like a mothers "house" it was kinda dark and moody
That sounds like the one in Calgary. There used to be locations in downtown Montreal and Toronto and I think in a few other Canadian cities. I'm not sure if there are any left.

I would take Chicken on the Way over KFC. Mary Brown's can be good for fried chicken too. My favourite is Church's Fried Chicken which abandoned Calgary long ago but I go to one in North Vancouver once in a long while.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 7:24 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
I agree 100%. Their old logo is a sight to see. It's a "thiny-veiled racist-of-the-times" type character serving chicken on a platter.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 7:27 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonb View Post

I was going to mention the same thing. On the news, he mentioned that people aren't willing to come downtown anymore to eat out. I think what he meant to say was, people aren't willing to come downtown to eat what Tucker's was serving. There are plenty of restaurants that do very well downtown, but they draw people for a reason. Although I've heard Tucker's did a great prime rib, there are many restaurants that offer the standard menu that Tucker's did, and that is what put them out - in my opinion of course. You could get much of the same thing elsewhere, so why make a trip for Tucker's?
Recently a group of my co-workers went there and had nothing but bad things to say. They had a reservation, yet they couldn't find a waitress to serve them. They place hadn't been renovated since the day it opened, and the food was not very good quality.

I watched the news story on the closing of MT's and the ownership claimed that suburban chain restaurants killed their business, along with parking.

Notwithstanding the fact that there is a giant parkade across the street (albeit the rates are too high), the reason why nobody went there is poor service and food - the two things that you expect to be decent when you pay someone to prepare food for you.

Last edited by Aegis; Jan 5, 2011 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Recently a group of my co-workers went there and had nothing but bad things to say. They had a reservation, yet they couldn't find a waitress to serve them. They place hadn't been renovated since the day it opened, and the food was not very good quality.

I watched the news story on the closing of MT's and the ownership claimed that suburban chain restaurants killed their business, along with parking.

Notwithstanding the fact that there is a giant parkade across the street (albeit the rates are too high), the reason why nobody went there is poor service and food - the two things that you expect to be decent when you pay someone to prepare food for you.
Parking at Gulf Square is only 2 bucks in the evening.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:13 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I agree 100%. Their old logo is a sight to see. It's a "thiny-veiled racist-of-the-times" type character serving chicken on a platter.
used to be worse

Somewhere I saw an old 50s or 60s ad for them where the head was shaded in.. could have been 70s too..

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 5:15 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
This exact paragraph is me and Pizza 73. Every couple of years I try it just to see if maybe I had a bad day, but no, it's just always complete garbage. Even their commercials don't look in the least appetizing, and that's supposed to be fake food dressed up to look 10x better than what you actually get.

And I say this as someone who loves shitty pizza. Pizza pizza in Ontario is one of my favourties - so I'm not exactly what you'd call a pizza snob.

(Insert secondary bitter rant about PP buying 73 but then not fucking bringing edible pizza to Calgary)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 5:17 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
My favourite is Church's Fried Chicken which abandoned Calgary long ago but I go to one in North Vancouver once in a long while.
Oh god - I finally tried Church's last year when in New Mexico.

It may be the worst (but cheapest!) fast food I've ever eaten. And I've eaten a lot of fast food in my day - although oddly enough, not White Castle. I'm told that's even worse.

Church's made the nearby Sonic look like haute cuisine.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 9:14 AM

my friend loves churchs we always have to go there - when its freshly made its good and the tenders are good they are actually hand made and not frozen

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
used to be worse

Somewhere I saw an old 50s or 60s ad for them where the head was shaded in.. could have been 70s too..
Used to be FAR worse - that shaded in head used to have a speech bubble saying "Sho is good!"

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonb View Post
Teatro has a lot of wow factor, but the food is overpriced for what you get. There are many restaurants with a similar price point that are much better, in my opinion. I guess it depends on what you are looking for when you go out.
I have been going to Teatro quite often for lunch lately and find the value incredible. The prices are comparable to (or often times, much better than) the normal Earls/Moxies etc, but the food is so much better as is the room. I'll be going for dinner tonight, so I'll post back on their dinner menu pricing.

Last edited by Me&You; Jan 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation