HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:16 PM

Is that Balo Vietnamese place open yet?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Is that Balo Vietnamese place open yet?
God no! WTF?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:47 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Has anyone had pizza at Famoso? I have heard a number of people talking about it. Didn't
Realize they are a chain as there is one opening in Victoria.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Has anyone had pizza at Famoso? I have heard a number of people talking about it. Didn't
Realize they are a chain as there is one opening in Victoria.
It's not bad, as Neapolitan-style goes. Nothing spectacular, but it's a tasty and satisfying pizza, and definitely worth a visit if you like that style. Compared to some other thin crust joints, at least in my opinion: better than Pulcinella (topping quality may be a bit inferior, but no mushy crusts), not as good as Una, miles ahead of Double Zero. They bake in a wood-fired oven with a rotating clay turntable, which lets them crank out pizzas a bit faster as well.

I've tried take out a few times, as I only live a few blocks away, but it invariably gets cold by the time I get it home.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 7:54 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Gotta take issue with Elbownian's faint praise of Famoso- we LOVE it. My faves are the Thai pizza and the one with sopressata. Absolutely fantastic, and well-priced too. Salads are nice too.

Yes it's a chain- which has worked out nicely for Fiasco Gelato since they supply their gelato. You can now get Fiasco in Toronto because there are two Famoso locations there now.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:59 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong Rusty - I quite like Famoso, and need to try some of their more creative dishes one of these days. I'm just not so effusive as you, not to mention relatively new here (as a poster, at least) and tend to give very cautious/measured responses. Well, unless of course I really, really like something, or I get angry. Both should happen eventually!

No idea they'd made it all the way to Toronto now. Nice to see a little Edmonton-based business have so much success, and well deserved too.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:55 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the input. Rusty how would you compare Double Zero to Famoso? I appreciate that Elbownian thinks Famoso is better, but I quite like it.

If you are ever in Victoria I would suggest trying Prima Strada Pizzeria...soo good.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Hey all,

My friend is going down to Calgary next week on a business trip, and is asking about good eateries. She's actually considering moving to Calgary in the future, and has never been around the inner city. Can anybody give me a quick summary of their top recommendations for great eateries in the Mission, 17th ave, Kensington areas specifically?? Much appreciated. Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:34 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Hey all,

My friend is going down to Calgary next week on a business trip, and is asking about good eateries. She's actually considering moving to Calgary in the future, and has never been around the inner city. Can anybody give me a quick summary of their top recommendations for great eateries in the Mission, 17th ave, Kensington areas specifically?? Much appreciated. Thanks!
On 17th: UNA, Ox and Angela, CIBO, Borgo, FARM, the Coup
Mission: Wurst, Mercato (there are a bunch of others, but I am less familiar with Mission)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:14 PM
Littering and............

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
On 17th: UNA, Ox and Angela, CIBO, Borgo, FARM, the Coup
Mission: Wurst, Mercato (there are a bunch of others, but I am less familiar with Mission)

Bistro 2210 in Mission is quite good

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:30 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Hey all,

Not directly in those areas but very excellent: Vintage & CharCut

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
God no! WTF?
I think I missed something here... I walked by it the other day and it looked open, and they have a really nice looking patio too.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 7:08 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
I think I missed something here... I walked by it the other day and it looked open, and they have a really nice looking patio too.
Correction, opening tomorrow. Free drink and spring roll with any order.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Correction, opening tomorrow. Free drink and spring roll with any order.
Will have to check it out, would love to have a good Vietnamese place close by. Is it supposed to be good?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 8:47 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Will have to check it out, would love to have a good Vietnamese place close by. Is it supposed to be good?
Since it's not open yet, there's really no way of knowing- unless I'm missing something. I don't see any other locations on google.

I wonder what the story was here- it seemed to be completed for something like two months. Permits issues? In any case it's been annoying as hell to walk by there day after day with chairs on the beautiful patio and "opening soon" in the window.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 8:52 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap384 View Post
Bistro 2210 in Mission is quite good
Add Fleur de Sel, Towa Sushi, and for amazing excellent quality fast food, Koob Kabob Factory. I've never seen anything quite like Koob; it's not a donair place and not a traditional Persian restaurant selling plated Koobideh; it's sort of a cross between those (owners are in fact Lebanese and Iranian- former is a past student of mine) with an almost food-truck vibe and amazing fries too. Utterly unique.

Famoso is also on 4th but coming from Edmonton she'll already know about it

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Since it's not open yet, there's really no way of knowing- unless I'm missing something. I don't see any other locations on google.

I wonder what the story was here- it seemed to be completed for something like two months. Permits issues? In any case it's been annoying as hell to walk by there day after day with chairs on the beautiful patio and "opening soon" in the window.
I was just curious if anyone had any inside info on the place, hoping to hear some good reviews after the weekend if it is opening tomorrow.

Yeah that patio looks gorgeous! much better than it was with Gnocchi's (though I did like that place).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
and for amazing excellent quality fast food, Koob Kabob Factory.
Huh, the only other review I'd heard was extremely negative, but if it passes muster for you, I'll have to give it a try some time.

While we're on 4th Street, I'll also put in a plug for Aida's. Exceptionally good Lebanese.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 9:03 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbownian View Post
Huh, the only other review I'd heard was extremely negative, but if it passes muster for you, I'll have to give it a try some time.

While we're on 4th Street, I'll also put in a plug for Aida's. Exceptionally good Lebanese.
I second this! Ask for Elly, she is an amazing server!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Wow, looks like quite an eclectic collection. I've forwarded all of the recommendations to her. I'm starting to get really hungry, and thinking I'll for sure have to check out some of these places myself next time I'm in town. You guys are a great bunch!

Cheers!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation