HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Coast at Lakeshore East in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
There is supposed to be a park directly east of this building correct? Does anyone have renderings as to what the "sunken" parking podium will be clad with?
Incorrect. Directly to the East of Coast is scheduled to be another development per the LSE master plan.

spyguy/skyscrapercity

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:07 AM

I don't believe that is recent. Coast isn't even on there if you look at the shape of the buildings on its site.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:20 AM

Quote:
I don't believe that is recent. Coast isn't even on there if you look at the shape of the buildings on its site.
Its recent enough. Magellan is not going to release a new 'master plan' every time a project starts. Everything built is on there... including the 2009 completion of Aqua.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:27 AM

Now that I look at the masterplan and the recent pictures of the Coast going up, I don't think there's been any change in the shape. It looks to be same shape that you see on the masterplan, at least the floors below Upper Wacker are. Anyway, there's actually 2 sites east of the coast, the one you mentioned and another just east of it. That's where the Arqui developement is/was going.

Last edited by Chicago_Forever; Feb 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:31 AM
TL;DR

No park that I know of. The current Magellan site plan shows three development sites between Coast and Regatta. The way those imaginary lines are drawn, it doesn't bode well for a resurrection of the Arquitectonica project. There's also no bridge across the north part of Field Drive, which totally ruins the "upper/lower loops" idea.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ What's planned for that empty lot in the last pic? Townhomes?
Presumably (and per all LSE precedent I think) townhomes would need rear access for parking (and for trash etc.?). In that photo, everything is walled off, including the Tides parking podium to the north where that access would need to be.

They probably could punch holes out in it -- if anybody is in a sleuthy mood, you could traverse the aisles in the Tides parking garage and see whether there is provision or possibility for townhouse parking, trash, and residential secondary entries on any of those levels. There probably would be ownership and easement hurdles with that scheme though, unless Magellan planned it out from the start. If access is not from the north, then maybe the townhomes would have driveways right onto South Water (yuck) ... or maybe it'll be a school facility or something.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:50 PM
BANNED

Oh come on, they had better complete the upper loop road, the entire circulation of this project will be completely fucked it they don't.

Then again, most of the recent site plans have not shown that road. Perhaps they have excluded it from the maps since it hasn't been built yet? Wouldn't they be obligated to construct it under the PD?

Quote:
Look again, everything is there including a Coast shaped box in the Upper left that is labeled "Future Development". In other words the only thing out of date on this plan seems to be that the Coast isn't labeled "The Coast".

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:49 PM
TL;DR

^^ They could connect Harbor Drive to the Upper Wacker cul-de-sac. It would discourage through traffic and avoid having to build an expensive new bridge over Field. You would just carve a hole through the building west of Regatta.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ They could connect Harbor Drive to the Upper Wacker cul-de-sac. It would discourage through traffic and avoid having to build an expensive new bridge over Field. You would just carve a hole through the building west of Regatta.
Lol, that would do anything but discourage through traffic. Think about it, all those people who overshoot 50 MPH Wacker Drive being funneled right into the neighborhood...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 7:15 PM

I'm sure the people who live around there are happy with the disjointed streets since it reduces traffic and creates a feeling of exclusivity and privacy. What's most important is that the pedestrian walkways connect. The past (not the current) master plan show the walkway between Tides and Coast connecting to Harbor drive. This should happen, and I like the thought of building directly over the street and creating an elevated plaza that looks down onto the park. The current master plan looks weak. I know it's still diagrammatic, but the pedestrian routes need to be firmly planned so no new neighbors disrupt circulation.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I'm sure the people who live around there are happy with the disjointed streets since it reduces traffic and creates a feeling of exclusivity and privacy.
That's certainly how I feel about it and has been echoed by others that live here. . . it's one of the things that makes this a unique area within the city. . .

Looks like they're getting ready to jump the crane. . .

. . .

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:29 AM

Lightbulb

I Love the building but i wish they made it 25 floors larger

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:44 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Lol, that would do anything but discourage through traffic. Think about it, all those people who overshoot 50 MPH Wacker Drive being funneled right into the neighborhood...
I was thinking exit-only... people who get lost in Harbor Drive could exit to Wacker, and residents could also exit to Wacker, but your overshooting drivers would still have to turn around.

That's not to mention different sorts of shared-space strategies you could use to discourage through traffic. If the "street" and its "sidewalks" are at the same level (no curbs) and made of the same material, it will discourage drivers... like the walkway on the south side of Aqua, which is a fire lane and a symbolic extension of Lake Street.

I really don't like this idea of pedestrianizing the city... pedestrian-only walkways have less visibility and often create a feeling of uneasiness. I'm all for parity between drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians, but each of those three groups needs a basic level of connectivity and accessibility throughout the city's various neighborhoods, or we turn into Atlanta. The best way to do that is to make every street multi-modal. (Don't get absurdist on me and cite the interstates as auto-only - you can't drive on the L, either...)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:28 PM
BANNED

^^^ I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing here. I only think they should finish the top ring road by extending it to the street behind Swissotel. I also don't think the road should have any direct access to Wacker, you should have to make multiple turns off Wacker to get into the neighborhood. The reason I think they should do that is that it will go a long way towards creating some semblance of a grid in this challenging area of town to get around in. It will create a second road that runs parallel to Wacker and feeds into the existing road between Aqua and Swissotel. I'm all for more pedestrian walk ways between the towers to allow people to walk between the ring road and Wacker, but I think the ring road really needs to be completed.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 7:41 PM

Quote:
but I think the ring road really needs to be completed.
Agreed. With Waterside Drive ending where it does it isolates the various sections of LSE... almost creating a high rise culdesac neighborhood. By continuing Waterside Westward to hook up with North Road/Thru Drive, in between Sofitel and Coast, connectivity among the neighborhood would be vastly improved.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 8:23 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Those tiny floor heights are really starting to show

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 4:35 AM
Windy City Dan

Coast Feb 17th

Baby Got Back

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 5:06 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
^^^ I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing here. I only think they should finish the top ring road by extending it to the street behind Swissotel. I also don't think the road should have any direct access to Wacker, you should have to make multiple turns off Wacker to get into the neighborhood. The reason I think they should do that is that it will go a long way towards creating some semblance of a grid in this challenging area of town to get around in. It will create a second road that runs parallel to Wacker and feeds into the existing road between Aqua and Swissotel. I'm all for more pedestrian walk ways between the towers to allow people to walk between the ring road and Wacker, but I think the ring road really needs to be completed.
That's fine, too, if it's structurally possible.

That whole Wacker cul-de-sac just strikes me as really weird, unattractive, and unfinished. The only proposals I've seen have turned it into a service drive/dropoff for the Arquitectonica building, which is a really weird way to use that space. Linking it into LSE stops it from being a dead-end.

I'm against city-owned cul-de-sacs on principle - the city should be maintaining streets for everybody, not just the people who live along it. If residents want a cul-de-sac they don't have to share with the rest of the city, then they should pay the full cost of maintenance and upkeep on that pavement, as well as any utilities beneath.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 5:15 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I'm sure the people who live around there are happy with the disjointed streets since it reduces traffic and creates a feeling of exclusivity and privacy. What's most important is that the pedestrian walkways connect. The past (not the current) master plan show the walkway between Tides and Coast connecting to Harbor drive. This should happen, and I like the thought of building directly over the street and creating an elevated plaza that looks down onto the park. The current master plan looks weak. I know it's still diagrammatic, but the pedestrian routes need to be firmly planned so no new neighbors disrupt circulation.
Believe it or not, several condo boards are in favor of an Upper Harbor-Upper Wacker connection. City planners are/were as well. They are aware of the problems of loading so much traffic onto a single dead-end street. There's not much risk of through traffic because there's no way to continue further east from the upper level... you have to backtrack to the Illinois Center area before you can get on Lower Wacker or Lower Randolph to access the Drive.

Also - Upper Columbus already connects Upper Wacker to Upper Randolph and it's incredibly sleepy, despite its gargantuan width, and does not see much cut-through traffic.

http://www.neweastside.org/Harbor-Wacker.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 3:01 PM
BANNED

I agree regarding cul du sacs, but surely Wacker Drive is an exception as any extension of the road would logically connect to LSD via an interchange and I think everyone agrees that's a bad idea. What would be cool is if they were to extend it to LSD and then have it turn right between the empty lot on the corner and the exiting building (forget what that one is called right now) and connect back through to that other cul du sac on Waterside. that way you'd eliminate all the cul du sacs in the area and provide better access for the residents of LSE while still keeping it out of the way enough to discourage thru traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive