HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 8:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great idea. Done. Under Contact Info, Townie.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

In the Community Thread, Jeddy alerted us to the fact Parks Canada intends to charge $9.80 for a seasonal pass to Signal Hill or Cape Spear, among other historic sites and parks.

It's not too late to submit your feedback to Parks Canada:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/agen/tarifs-...sultation.aspx

To provide comments to Parks Canada on the proposed 2013 fees, please do so:

Electronically
droits2013.2013fees@pc.gc.ca

By Mail
Parks Canada Agency
2013 Fees Consultation – Brand Experience Branch
25 Eddy Street, 6th floor (25-6-T)
Gatineau, QC K1A 0M5

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Sent mine:

Good day, Parks Canada,

Signal Hill is an integral part of downtown St. John's. It hosts numerous residential streets, public roads, and significant portions of the city's Grand Concourse public trail system. I hike there every morning and, even in hurricanes or blizzards, there's always a crowd.

It shouldn't even be a legal possibility for Parks Canada to charge for access to these and all of Signal Hill's public amenities. It has been part of the daily life of downtown St. John's since before Canada even existed. You didn't pay to develop this site and Canada is only indirectly related the myriad of historic events that took place there prior to our entering this federation.

Like most things taken over by the federal government, Signal Hill has been neglected. If you can't be bothered to keep up appearances with general funding, then, please, give it back. I'm sure we could do a better job of it ourselves.

I can assure you St. John's will fight any attempt to charge a fee to enter Signal Hill tooth and nail, as we have in the past. It's a disgusting proposal.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:24 PM

ouch! hahahahahahhahahahaha

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Sent mine:

Good day, Parks Canada,

Signal Hill is an integral part of downtown St. John's. It hosts numerous residential streets, public roads, and significant portions of the city's Grand Concourse public trail system. I hike there every morning and, even in hurricanes or blizzards, there's always a crowd.

It shouldn't even be a legal possibility for Parks Canada to charge for access to these and all of Signal Hill's public amenities. It has been part of the daily life of downtown St. John's since before Canada even existed. You didn't pay to develop this site and Canada is only indirectly related the myriad of historic events that took place there prior to our entering this federation.

Like most things taken over by the federal government, Signal Hill has been neglected. If you can't be bothered to keep up appearances with general funding, then, please, give it back. I'm sure we could do a better job of it ourselves.

I can assure you St. John's will fight any attempt to charge a fee to enter Signal Hill tooth and nail, as we have in the past. It's a disgusting proposal.
I certainly agree that Signal Hill has been neglected, as has all Federal parks in NL. Mr. Johnson has done a lot to shame Parks Canada into the little effort they have done.

As for the fee, it's not an entrance fee, AFAIK, it's the fee for use of the Interp Centre. So, it's still free to visit and park and hike Signal Hill. If they ever (again) propose a fee to enter Signal Hill Park, we'll take the area back from them, I hope.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hmm... well, if you're right, I'm less opposed. They can charge whatever they want to enter their own building without infringing on our right to access to Signal Hill.

But I'm still glad I sent the email.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:49 PM

I don't disagree with Parks Canada charging for access to Signal Hill.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I certainly agree that Signal Hill has been neglected, as has all Federal parks in NL. Mr. Johnson has done a lot to shame Parks Canada into the little effort they have done.

As for the fee, it's not an entrance fee, AFAIK, it's the fee for use of the Interp Centre. So, it's still free to visit and park and hike Signal Hill. If they ever (again) propose a fee to enter Signal Hill Park, we'll take the area back from them, I hope.
That is what I was wondering. I'm not opposed to a fee for accessing the Interpretation centre or Cabot Tower itself, but there should be no fee to use the outdoor space. Same for Cape Spear.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
That is what I was wondering. I'm not opposed to a fee for accessing the Interpretation centre or Cabot Tower itself, but there should be no fee to use the outdoor space. Same for Cape Spear.
agreed!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:41 PM

THERE'S A SEGMENT COMING UP ON HERE AND NOW ON NIMBYism IN TWO MINUTES!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:33 PM

A reminder from VOCM

Public Meeting on Land Rezoning

Quote:
A public meeting will be held next week to discuss the revised application to rezone land at New Gower Street, Springdale Street and Pleasant Street. The rezoning from residential to commercial will allow Manga Hotels to build a 12-storey hotel, if approved by council.

The development is proposed in two phases: the first would be a 12-storey hotel with 150 guest suites and surface parking. It would be located on the eastern portion of the site. The second phase, if given the green light, would be a development on the western region. If rezoned it would be a residential, high-rise building.

The meeting starts at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, February 12th at City Hall.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=30550

remember this is mainly for the land rezoning to allow highrise developments on the site .. therefore it's important that there is a positive voice at the meeting so anything above 4 floors gets built! - and we can bring up the design issues

EDIT:

Here is a comment from the article which highlights why we need to be there!

Quote:
Breh :

I predict that one or two older people will kick up a stink about it and yet again our city will be held back from any kind of progression.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...&GetComments=1

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 2:40 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

So, tomorrow night... public hearing. Anyone going?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
So, tomorrow night... public hearing. Anyone going?
I'd like to go

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I'd like to go
Yes, you should go! You have an opportunity to get your name a little better well known in city hall before the election

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Yes, you should go! You have an opportunity to get your name a little better well known in city hall before the election
where can those who cant go email to voice their approval for this development

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
E-mail council, they put those e-mails in the hearing

you can find the contact information on the first page

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
Yes, email the councillors directly, a few of us have done this in the past for other proposals. It might be a good idea to cc the director of engineering, I believe his name is Cliff Johnston. It'll be interesting to see the outcome of this meeting tonight. Although I don't agree with the design, I think this hotel is needed in DT.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 6:35 PM

So are they making a decision on the land re-zoning tonight?? and is anyone from here physically going to the meeting?

This is what I sent the councilors

Quote:
Good afternoon councilors!

I am writing to you today to express my support for the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel proposal for New Gower Street. Our downtown is in great need of hotel space to meet the needs of the ever growing tourism industry, to create new rooms that were lost in the closure of the Battery Hotel, and to meet the needs of the upcoming Convention Center Expansion. The Hilton hotel takes a vacant piece of land in the largely underdeveloped west end of downtown and transforms it into a vibrant, urban, bustling street corner. The possibility of Highrise residential as a "phase 2" is also great for the area as it will increase density in our downtown core which is always a positive!

Where the Hilton Hotel would be located (the west end of downtown) is a part of downtown that has been ignored for many years and now contains nothing but run down low-rise houses and buildings. As I am a supporter of preserving heritage buildings in the east end, I see the derelict west end as the ideal place to expand and densify our downtown core. Projects like Fortis Place, 351 Water, and the Deacon building are all great projects that will help to increase density and breathe life into a previously neglected part of downtown. A hotel and the possibility of highrise residential in the west end, in my opinion, should no doubt be approved because the need is there, and there is no better site in the downtown area to put a twelve story hotel at the moment.

The Hilton Hotel (and the possible phase two) is a great project that will greatly benefit the area and provide some relief in the growing demand for hotel rooms in the downtown area. By all means, this is only good and should be approved.

That being said, I would like to make a suggestion. I don't believe the re-design of the hotel was necessary. The hotel style was changed from a simple, yet classy, modern design to something that looks more "heritage" but isn't very attractive at all. I don't feel that any building (especially highrises) in the west end (past Waldegrave St.) should be forced to look heritage because there is very little heritage in the west end, and anything that is built will be surrounded by modern buildings such as: The Delta, the Cabot Complex, and Fortis Place ect. The west end should be the one area in downtown that we are trying to modernize. I would love to see zoning changes in the west end to allow for more highrise development in the upcoming municipal plan!

I don't feel a heritage design (and *especially* blank walls without windows) should be imposed on any development in the west end. Although I believe the design has been changed for the worse, the design does not impact the functionality of the hotel and all the good it will do for the area.

Please forward my email to wherever it needs to go to be a part of the meeting about the land re-zoning tonight.

Thanks for all you do for our great city,
-Matt

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 7:48 PM

^^^^ Great letter, excellent points brought forward to strongly support this development.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 7:51 PM

I agree, Well done!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's