HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I am too young to remember the movie theater but I do remember the conversion to a upscale boutique mall. That was short lived.
The movie theater was called the Bank Cinema, had two screens and was built as part of The Bank Center, the upscale mall. You might not remember the theater as part of the shopping center because it was out of sight upstairs and, I recall, hard to find. And I do remember that there was a nightclub in the complex but I was never there.

My strongest memory of The Bank Center is of the small candy store set up inside the large bank vault on the lower level. Anyway, I saw the vault on Saturday night. I attended the opening gala at the Playhouse. There is now direct access from the orchestra floor of the main theatre to the University Center (formerly The Bank Center). This access turns out to be on the lower level of the University Center as the theatre is sunk below street level. The Playhouse architect (who, it turned out, was seated beside me at the performance) made these doors and about fifteen feet of adjacent wall out of glass, which provides theatre patrons with a perfect view of the massive brass vault door while seated in the theatre.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:24 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Continental might bring apartments back into their proposal for their development of surface lot 4:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201810170083

I'm curious to know what the building layout would look like. I'm envisioning a backwards "C" which would have frontage on General Robinson St., Mazeroski Way, and N. Shore Dr. I think they initially had a "L" shaped building visualized there initially.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:59 PM

Duquesne University's Athletics Department is set to make a major announcement on October 23rd. Speculation is that this is the long-rumored major renovation to the Palumbo Center. This would be an overhaul of both the interior and exterior, so it would have an impact on a busy corridor.

Quote:
This renovation would be an order of magnitude greater. A needs assessment developed by the architectural firm VMDO, while not necessarily a sneak peak at the final product, shows what the school has in mind for the future of the building, with prominent luxury suites, more open interior areas and a new-look facade on Fifth Avenue.
Source: https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018...alumbo-center/

Conceptual rendering:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 8:22 PM

PBT is reporting about another apartment project in the Strip District. This is on a long narrow lot right next to the Cork Factory which was previously considered for a boutique hotel and an Oxford apartment building. The new potential developer is Steel Street Capital Partners. They are considering a 200-unit apartment with some affordable units, which would give density bonuses under the RIV zoning. Presumably given the dimensions of the property (400 feet deep, but only 134 feet wide) it might have significant height.

Last edited by eschaton; Oct 18, 2018 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 9:50 PM

Apparently, the duo who blocked the proposed redevelopment of the Garden Theater block on the North Side a couple of years ago are now fighting plans to demolish the three buildings which would have been included in that design.

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...garden-theater

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Continental might bring apartments back into their proposal for their development of surface lot 4
I feel another delay coming.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
They are considering a 200-unit apartment with some affordable units, which would give density bonuses under the RIV zoning. Presumably given the dimensions of the property (400 feet deep, but only 134 feet wide) it might have significant height.
That does seem like a lot of units for that parcel (which is a good thing).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Scotty View Post
Apparently, the duo who blocked the proposed redevelopment of the Garden Theater block on the North Side a couple of years ago are now fighting plans to demolish the three buildings which would have been included in that design.

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...garden-theater
It seems pretty clear if you read between the lines here what's going on. IIRC Stephen Pascal is actually a small-time developer. He wants the property broken up by the URA because he thinks he'll be able to amass the capital needed to rehab one of the buildings himself. Or maybe just buy the buildings in the back off Federal Street, which aren't actually in danger of falling apart and will likely be relatively cheap to restore.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:51 PM

New Planning Commission presentation up. Only two items this week, so a light agenda. Confusingly they're listed in opposite orders on the agenda and the presentation. I'll use the presentation order here.

1. A planned new "green plaza" for the Hazelwood Green development. This plaza is situated directly south of the Mill 19 project already under construction, and is planned to be ringed by active street frontages such as retail when the core of the development is built out. The design is interesting, with a "lower green" with a series of steps, a central plaza, and a water feature involving multiple layers cascading downward to the south. I'm a little worried about the scale, but it's hard to tell these things from such rough conceptual drawings. Looks like the hope is to begin construction in March.

2. The Department of City Planning is submitting a new Institutional Master Plan best practices guide for medium and large academic institutions. I'm not sure what exactly spurred this - perhaps it's that Pitt has begun work on its own IMP and has requested clarification.

Also, further down, there appears to be a slightly modified final version of the I-579 cap park. This seems to have been last reviewed by the Planning Commission almost a year ago. Good to see it moving forward even if it took awhile.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:39 PM

An Icon on Smithfield article, with some renderings:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...oming-in-2019/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 8:22 PM

Lumiere Condos’ construction cam is live...

http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...C5B328C4&HLS=1

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:54 PM

It seems like there's been so much residnetial construction in Pgh during the past 5 years or so, it would be hard to imagine how it could not gain population in the 2020 census. Anyone know how many new apartment units and houses have been added in the city during this time? It seems like it must be 4 or 5 thousand, which could translate to 7 or 8 thousand new residents.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks2006 View Post
It seems like there's been so much residnetial construction in Pgh during the past 5 years or so, it would be hard to imagine how it could not gain population in the 2020 census. Anyone know how many new apartment units and houses have been added in the city during this time? It seems like it must be 4 or 5 thousand, which could translate to 7 or 8 thousand new residents.
There are still huge chunks of the city not participating in that, where households are shrinking in size and vacancies are increasing.

I don't know how it will all net out, but that is why you can have so many new units without large net population growth citywide.

However, one thing I can guarantee--the demographics will once again be dramatically changed, because both the additions of populations in new units and loss of population in other areas contribute to that change.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There are still huge chunks of the city not participating in that, where households are shrinking in size and vacancies are increasing.

I don't know how it will all net out, but that is why you can have so many new units without large net population growth citywide.

However, one thing I can guarantee--the demographics will once again be dramatically changed, because both the additions of populations in new units and loss of population in other areas contribute to that change.
According to ACS data, the next census is likely to find the black population of the city declined by about 20% between 2010 and 2020. Thus it's not beyond the pale to say, given how limited the city's population decline (if any) now is, that it's entirely due to black flight.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Affirm to open Pittsburgh office

San Francisco-based Affirm, which creates financial product and service alternatives to traditional credit, has plans to put the company’s second office in Pittsburgh, according to a news release.

Affirm chose Pittsburgh primarily for its available tech talent, said the release.

The company intends to create 100 jobs by the end of 2019 and anticipates its Pittsburgh workforce to grow to about 500 people in the next few yeasr.
https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...gh-office.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:42 PM

I can't read the details, but apparently some sort of tech/robotics development may be coming to the Sears outlet location in Lawrenceville:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...article_search

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...4!4d-79.958685

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
I can't read the details, but apparently some sort of tech/robotics development may be coming to the Sears outlet location in Lawrenceville:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...article_search

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...4!4d-79.958685
Relevant bits:

Quote:
Sources: New vision of tech and robotics hub in the works for Sears Outlet in Lawrenceville

An international real estate firm is putting together a reinvention strategy to replace the discount treadmills and appliances of a dying retailer with a new office and research hub for robotics companies and other tech firms along the Allegheny Riverfront in Lawrenceville.

After buying the still operating Sears Outlet store at 27 51st Street in Lawrenceville for $10 million a little more than a year ago, New York-based Northwood Investors LLC is establishing designs and marketing to redevelop the property and expects to pursue zoning approvals for the proposal in the coming weeks, according to sources familiar with the plan.

Called Dock 51, the development proposal matches a firm of international reach that’s demonstrated an appetite for 10-figure real estate investments with a Sears Outlet in an aging industrial building that totals 330,000 square feet on a parcel of more than 14 acres on the Lawrenceville end of the city’s Robotics Row that extends into the Strip District.

The early stage plan for Dock 51 calls for knocking out an interior portion of the building for courtyard space and daylighting, leaving 250,000 square feet of space marketable for office and research lab use.

Northwood is a major investor/developer. If they're behind this you can expect something good. Great news.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:42 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
An Icon on Smithfield article, with some renderings:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...oming-in-2019/

Here's a quote from that article:

Quote:
“In 2018, expect to see ground broken on 13 new residential development projects which are anticipated to deliver 1,335 units over the next three years,” says a report from the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership.

The report points out that the greater Downtown’s population has grown by 25 percent (that’s 3,000 residents) since 2010. Occupancy has increased to 94 percent from 89 percent a year ago.
According to that article, Downtown had about 12,000 residents which has now increased to 15,000. At least that's what that increase of 3000 residents, or 25 percent translates to. It would have been nice to see a highrise proposed there, but it's good to see this building reused/repurposed for this.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:06 PM

New ZBA up for the first week of November.

The big news (though likely nothing) is someone is attempting to challenge the validity of the entire riverfront zoning ordinance. I was a bit surprised it was a resident of Highland Park, given so little of it is zoned RIV. It's apparently the single house which is directly adjacent to Choderwood. I'm not sure why they're upset about it, because their existing home is grandfathered in.

Other items of note include two new infill townhouses in South Side Flats, a request for three additional units in a chopped up building in Shadyside, and a request for an animal care center (IIRC, dog washing station) on the first floor of South Side Works City Apartments.

In other news, the City has released an inclusionary zoning report for Lawrenceville. The proposed new regulations are highly detailed and technical, and I don't have time to review them while at work, but feel free to go at it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 11:59 PM

Palumbo Center renovations announced with renderings...

https://www.wtae.com/article/duquesn...ooper/24114250

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations