HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1213 Walnut in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 6:20 PM

^ That these new projects will have a positive impact on the street goes without saying. And I agree that's a far bigger deal than the impact on the skyline. But, this is a skyscraper thread Boxbot's photo shows just how one sided our skyline is (one sided is probably not the right phrase but you know what I mean). Who doesn't want to see a continuous row of tall buildings between City Hall and the St. James?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 6:22 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Does this one have an application on the phila.gov website like a CDR review or otherwise? Like to see the details from the submission if there is one. Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
^ That these new projects will have a positive impact on the street goes without saying. And I agree that's a far bigger deal than the impact on the skyline. But, this is a skyscraper thread Boxbot's photo shows just how one sided our skyline is (one sided is probably not the right phrase but you know what I mean). Who doesn't want to see a continuous row of tall buildings between City Hall and the St. James?
I definitely agree with this assessment. Wishing a building could be taller in a certain location doesn't mean you're unhappy with the vitality the project will bring to the area.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I definitely agree with this assessment. Wishing a building could be taller in a certain location doesn't mean you're unhappy with the vitality the project will bring to the area.
I just HAD to bring up 1919 Market with that observation hanging out there , but it's absolutely true. I think everyone that's on here is thrilled by the continuing improvement to Philly's street-level urban fabric, but, at the same time, nobody on here is cheerleading short and stubby buildings. Context is critical. 1919 cried for something larger. This new project fits, even if it won't stand out.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 8:57 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I just HAD to bring up 1919 Market with that observation hanging out there , but it's absolutely true. I think everyone that's on here is thrilled by the continuing improvement to Philly's street-level urban fabric, but, at the same time, nobody on here is cheerleading short and stubby buildings. Context is critical. 1919 cried for something larger. This new project fits, even if it won't stand out.
The newly built and expanded 1900 Arch 'Luxury' Apts are butt fugly from a street perspective...leaves a lot to be desired. And, for it to be in proximity to CITC is a real embarrassment. This, however, based on the renderings thus far is actually pretty nice. Let's hope the materials used are good quality.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 12:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Does this one have an application on the phila.gov website like a CDR review or otherwise? Like to see the details from the submission if there is one. Thanks!
it hasnt gotten that far yet. You will probably see a proposal soon.

edit: actually you may not see one because it appears this building already received the necessary zoning permits in 2012. I don't know that the process we have now was in place when this was permitted.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 5:04 PM
BANNED

There was a recent change in details for the zoning/use permit for this site. It says there will be 322 units, not sure if that is increase or decrease from original proposal. This was just approved last month.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
There was a recent change in details for the zoning/use permit for this site. It says there will be 322 units, not sure if that is increase or decrease from original proposal. This was just approved last month.
The last known number was 300 I believe - but it won't have any impact on height as this project is capped at 300'.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:56 PM

Test bores maybe underway? Could somebody swing by and snag a picture if close?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Test bores maybe underway? Could somebody swing by and snag a picture if close?
I can swing by at lunch.

Update: They were gone when I got there. A few steel pipes lying on the ground with clay/dirt on them. The parking lot had a few tiny holes each about 10 feet apart. If I took a picture, all you would have seen would have been a parking lot.

Last edited by thisisforreal; Oct 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:13 PM

Thank you for the update good sir

It's possible they were in fact doing test bores.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:26 PM
BANNED

I don't think this is the first time such activity has been noted on this site.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Thank you for the update good sir

It's possible they were in fact doing test bores.
They were taking soil samples to get a clean fill certification. Mobilization will occur in the next couple of weeks.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
They were taking soil samples to get a clean fill certification. Mobilization will occur in the next couple of weeks.
Awesome. Thank you for the clarification and the update. I'm really glad this project is moving forward.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 8:08 PM
BANNED

Hunter Roberts has obtained a permit for this building within last month. 27 floors.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 11:03 PM
Always Lookin' Up

From Madison Concrete site:

Madison working on $100 million 1213 Walnut St. project

A 26-story mixed-used development tower (a.k.a. “Fergie’s Tower”) with 300 apartments and ground-level retail space is being planned for 1213 Walnut St. in Philadelphia.

Madison will be working on the project, providing pile caps, grade beams, foundation walls, columns, shear walls, structural concrete slabs (20,000 cubic yards, 300,000 square feet of structural slabs).

The $100 million project has been referred to as a “potential game changer” for the section of Walnut Street on which it is being built as well as a possible anchor east of Broad Street. (See the latest renderings of the project here.)

A $5 million grant through the state’s Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program for the project, dubbed “1213 Walnut Street Redevelopment,” has been applied for to help fund it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 2:31 PM

Work Set to Begin on Fergie Tower

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20.../#more-3029161

Quote:
It looks as though the we can expect work to begin soon on the so-called “Fergie’s Tower” project at 1213-19 Walnut Street. Construction permits pulled on October 13 show that a 27-story mixed-use, multi-family apartment building with roof decks will rise on the site of what is currently a surface parking lot.
Quote:
The popular Irish pub is located at 1214 Sansom Street, and owner Fergus Carey gave us a little more insight on what he knows about the project, including what this all means for the future of his famous public house. "It is going to be on three sides of the pub," said Carey in an email. "On the Sansom Street side on both sides of the pub it will be the same height of the pub." According to Carey, groundbreaking "should be within the next few weeks."

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Good news. I just went past here the other day looking for signs of parking lot closure.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:12 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Does anyone know if there was a design change? This project is no longer on the architect's webpage. Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 5:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Does anyone know if there was a design change? This project is no longer on the architect's webpage. Thanks.
I dont think there's been anything released publically in recent months. I assume at the groundbreaking there will be up to date renderings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive