HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:28 PM

We need something equivalent to Bryant park in Rivernorth...we all know the surrounding lots will get filled wtih highrises so a quality park( fountains..unique landscaping) ...not just a patch a of grass with a few benches that Chicago is famous for

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:34 PM

Demolition is in full swing at Roszak's 145 S. Wells.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
We need something equivalent to Bryant park in Rivernorth...we all know the surrounding lots will get filled wtih highrises so a quality park( fountains..unique landscaping) ...not just a patch a of grass with a few benches that Chicago is famous for
Disagree. I think Chicago's semi equivalent to it is parts of Millennium Park and what not. The area with Bryant Park is not really in an actual people neighborhood. It's surrounded by offices, hotels, etc. - some residential but not a ton. That is more like Millennium Park area in reality (with even more stuff).

Something like Madison Square Park would be way cooler in River North. River North is more of a people neighborhood with some offices - more loft space type of stuff. It would fit more in there and I think something like MSP or Washington Square Park are cooler than Bryant Park (but I do love Bryant Park).

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Disagree. I think Chicago's semi equivalent to it is parts of Millennium Park and what not. The area with Bryant Park is not really in an actual people neighborhood. It's surrounded by offices, hotels, etc. - some residential but not a ton. That is more like Millennium Park area in reality (with even more stuff).

Something like Madison Square Park would be way cooler in River North. River North is more of a people neighborhood with some offices - more loft space type of stuff. It would fit more in there and I think something like MSP or Washington Square Park are cooler than Bryant Park (but I do love Bryant Park).
hmmm perhaps...you don't think river north will fill into more office, mixed use type of community over purely residential though?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
hmmm perhaps...you don't think river north will fill into more office, mixed use type of community over purely residential though?
My point wasn't really about the usage, but more about the makeup of the buildings and what not. Bryant Park has a bunch more modern very tall office towers around it while River North is kind of more mixed - both tall and low rise more often. That's not really like the area around Bryant Park. Around Millennium Park is more like that. I have sat in Bryant Park numerous times looking west at some of the buildings and thought to myself how it has some resemblence in that situation to if you're in parts of Millennium Park looking west to Michigan Avenue.

River North is more variant with high rise and low rise, at least on the main streets which is more akin to areas around parks like Madison Square Park.

Near Bryant Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7551...8i6656!6m1!1e1

In Bryant Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7537...7i10240!8i5120

Near Madison Square Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7404...8i6656!6m1!1e1

In Madison Square Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7421...!7i8054!8i3972

Neither are like River North, but if you had to pick one that was more similar to RN, you probably wouldn't totally pick Bryant Park.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:23 AM

Anyone know which four buildings the are?

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/bus...140031973.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Anyone know which four buildings the are?

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/bus...140031973.html
They're the GSA building's at 202-220 S. State. It was mentioned one page back.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:31 PM

Can anybody clue me in on what's happening along Wells between Adams and Monroe? They're demolishing a parking structure, and I'm not seeing any threads dedicated to a new building going up there.. but maybe I missed it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I wouldn't want a large park in River North, one block worth is a good size. Abandoning the tax revenues of all the areas you describe would not be worth the gain.
Would llike to see the City consider amenties and quality of life that draw people, not only direct revenue from property (i.e., increase the number of visitors and the population and the revenue will follow). The reality is there is no shorage of land to develop to meet growth needs and capture the same revenue.

Last edited by VKChaz; Mar 23, 2017 at 4:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks View Post
Can anybody clue me in on what's happening along Wells between Adams and Monroe? They're demolishing a parking structure, and I'm not seeing any threads dedicated to a new building going up there.. but maybe I missed it.
Oh never mind, google is my friend:

http://chicago.curbed.com/2017/3/17/...lls-demolition

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:56 PM

Madison Square Park would be a great model for a neighborhood park / gathering space, but I don't see where Chicago has the space for it. Even if two whole city blocks were turned into parkland (say, McDonald's and the one to the north that Portillo's is on), it would be less than half the size of Madison Square. And the city would never get rid of that bit of Ontario either, especially as it's an access road to I-94.

Chicago's grid really hurts its ability to have green spaces away from the lake. Cities where streets meet at odd angles tend to have more organically.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:09 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Madison Square Park would be a great model for a neighborhood park / gathering space, but I don't see where Chicago has the space for it. Even if two whole city blocks were turned into parkland (say, McDonald's and the one to the north that Portillo's is on), it would be less than half the size of Madison Square. And the city would never get rid of that bit of Ontario either, especially as it's an access road to I-94.

Chicago's grid really hurts its ability to have green spaces away from the lake. Cities where streets meet at odd angles tend to have more organically.
Well there is the U.S. post office site on the NW corner of Dearborn and Grand - it's a full city block and in a prime River North location that doesn't really have a sold open park space within a six block radius...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:18 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There are buildings, row homes mostly in some parts of Gold Coast and Lincoln Park that look like some of the row homes on my block and surrounding blocks in Upper West Side. Not all of it, but some of them. At least if the stairs to them from the sidewalk were 2X longer and the entrances that much higher. I find that the side streets in UWS have more in common with these of Chicago than UES.

I don't think Gold Coast is anything like almost anywhere in midtown. I guess you could say that in 5 years, Streeterville could be like Hudson Yards if Hudson Yards was way more residential or something.
Streeterville has hints of Midtown Manhattan because of the tall buildings and upper end shopping. Also our John Hancock Center is an iconic skyline structure like the Chrysler Building or Empire State Building in Midtown. The Gold Coast of Chicago slightly resembles Midtown Manhattan because it has tall residential buildings lining Lincoln Park kind of like the residential buildings lining Central Park. But mostly I think our Loop resembles Midtown Manhattan simply because they are the two largest CBD's in the USA with them both being such crazy dense skyscraper forests. In the end it should be obvious to everyone though that Chicago and New York are too complex and different to make a definitive direct comparison to any significantly large area of either.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:07 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Streeterville has hints of Midtown Manhattan because of the tall buildings and upper end shopping. Also our John Hancock Center is an iconic skyline structure like the Chrysler Building or Empire State Building in Midtown. The Gold Coast of Chicago slightly resembles Midtown Manhattan because it has tall residential buildings lining Lincoln Park kind of like the residential buildings lining Central Park. But mostly I think our Loop resembles Midtown Manhattan simply because they are the two largest CBD's in the USA with them both being such crazy dense skyscraper forests. In the end it should be obvious to everyone though that Chicago and New York are too complex and different to make a definitive direct comparison to any significantly large area of either.
Yeah, the Magnificent Mile from the River to LSD shares some similarities to Midtown.

You have an iconic skyscraper (Hancock/Empire State or Chrysler) and many other tall buildings. You have offices, including those of the city's biggest newspaper (Tribune/NY Times) and hotels, including the city's most famous one on the edge (Drake/Plaza), you have a Trump tower (Trump Chicago/Trump NY). You have high-end shopping, including large Macy's. You have the most famous international shopping street (Michigan Ave/5th Ave) that runs through it and then ends up running next to the city's largest, most central park (Grant/Central) right next to its largest art museum (Art Institute/Met) and also the city's most famous contemporary art museum is just a block off the major shopping street (MCA/MOMO) and then continues running through into the city's most historic black neighborhood (Bronzeville/Harlem) and eventually ends, far from the tall buildings, at a river (Little Calumet River/Harlem River).

There is only one Midtown Manhattan - there's really no other place exactly like it. But, as you can see, one can make a case for there being *similar* sorts of areas in other cities. Chicago just happens to have a lot of very direct corollaries. But, no, I agree that Chicago doesn't really have a Midtown in the same way New York does, despite the corollaries.

Last edited by emathias; Mar 23, 2017 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Well there is the U.S. post office site on the NW corner of Dearborn and Grand - it's a full city block and in a prime River North location that doesn't really have a sold open park space within a six block radius...
Right, and that block would make for a park perhaps a fifth or a sixth of the size of the ones you guys are talking about in NYC. It would be a small public square, basically.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:33 PM

I am glad that the park is getting a lot of attention. I would envision a one square block park (best if it takes the McDonald's lot). The residential development that would occur nearby (the Ohio House and gas station would go first) would more than make up for the revenue lost on the McDonald's. The lot is large enough to offer a nice respite for residents and visitors--I actually think the best comparison is the park at the top of Nob Hill, though I forget its name. There is room for a playground and perhaps dog park as well as some decorative gardens and a fountain.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:57 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeviewguy View Post
I am glad that the park is getting a lot of attention. I would envision a one square block park (best if it takes the McDonald's lot). The residential development that would occur nearby (the Ohio House and gas station would go first) would more than make up for the revenue lost on the McDonald's. The lot is large enough to offer a nice respite for residents and visitors--I actually think the best comparison is the park at the top of Nob Hill, though I forget its name. There is room for a playground and perhaps dog park as well as some decorative gardens and a fountain.
That McDonald's is just too cool though. The parking lot can go.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 8:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Wait are you being serious?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 8:36 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Wait are you being serious?
Sure... why not?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations