HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 2:01 PM

Howard Elliott must be chuffed!

Nice symmetry, too, in that Treble Hall is at the other end of the block that The Spec called home until 35 years ago.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 1:55 AM

Treble Hall sadly remains mostly vacant and dilapadated, it's just more obvious now that the top two floors of windows are boarded up with this message.

I could understand if this was done to protest the Royal Connaught, St. Mark's Church or the Federal Building. These dilapadated/vacant buildings have uncertain futures and it might put pressure on their owners to do something.

I'm not sure I get the point when Treble Hall is slated to be restored?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 8:35 PM

The point is not to criticize the dilapidated nature of Treble Hall since it is being renovated, but rather it is meant as a statement towards buildings whose owners have no current plans to improve them, like the ones that you mentioned.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:14 PM

To clarify - the message was put up by the people who are doing the Treble Hall restoration.

It is NOT a protest message put up by a third party.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 6:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hammer'd

They've definitely got their work cut out for them. The insides are in horrible shape. Makes me think of the photos that I took of the inside of the Lister Block. This is definitely a professional job though so I'm really optimistic about the outcome.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Thanks Judith!! It's really nice to put a personal touch/connection to a historical building.

Some more info on John Henry Larkin: http://home.att.net/~grassie/tree/ps02/ps02_238.html
Sorry I have not got back to you in a few years plus lol. This link here does not work on my Grassie family. I guess I was too late huh lol.
Thanks for the effort in posting the link back then. If your even still here. I am back into a little more research once again.

Have a grand day!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:34 PM

OMG thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I have tried to get into seeing the inside of this building many years ago. I only got as far as inside the barber shop. Now thanks to you. I get to see the inside of my great grandpa's building Treble Hall (Larkin)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Nice to have you here Judith Larkin! Welcome!
Thankyou very much. Just popped back in today to read up so more!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 5:10 PM

Hey Everyone
The Front of Treble halls exterior has had some serious work done to the upper floors. All the mouldings have been restored and it already looks wonderful.I will try and post a shot of it over the weekend.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 9:16 PM

They have been painted as a temporary measure to stop any further erosion over the winter. They indeed look better than before but the proper restoration is still to come

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 12:05 AM
Hammer'd

I am beyond satisfied with the new owner of Treble Hall and I truly think wonderful things are in store for it. I've been watching this one really closely.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 3:35 AM

It's great to see it being restored! What's up with the old Golden Fortune chinese restaurant beside it..? It's been vacant for years... I remember it well from back in the day, I heard it closed up after there was a major health inspection done.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Hamilton a heritage redevelopment treasure

October 27, 2011

DON PROCTER, correspondent, Daily Commercial News

If buying an old building to redevelop is your thing but big bucks separate you from the Toronto market, consider heading down the QEW to Hamilton, Ont. There is plenty of building stock for sale downtown and it is often going for rock-bottom prices.

Take a 16,000-square-foot 132-year-old architectural gem on a downtown main street in the steel city as an example. The Renaissance Revival style four-storey commercial building (in sound structural shape) and an adjoining pre-Confederation building sold for less than $750,000.
Burlington-based Historia Building Restoration Inc. purchased the two, Treble Hall and the Pagoda Building, with big renovation plans for performance and art space.

Jeff Feswick, president of Historia, expects to spend about $2 million to rehabilitate the development over the next 18 months. He hopes his building will be part of a trend that sees more workspace, entertainment and housing developed in the core.

Treble Hall is a three-wythe brick structure with a wood-framed interior. And it came to Historia free of major structural problems, although part of it had been vacant for about 50 years.
Quote:
Feswick says the timing for developments like Treble Hall in downtown Hamilton could not be better.

“I think Hamilton is a great city but it has these black eyes here and there (vacant buildings) and Treble Hall was one of them. If we (and other developers) can continue to do something for that strip of John Street it could do a lot for the area, which is plunked right downtown.”
Full Article

http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id4729..._term=hamilton

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 3:28 AM

How is it coming along?

I drove by Treble Hall today and was happy to see the decorated windows still in place, but I still do not see any exterior advancement in restoration. Does anyone have progress pics to show at all? I'm hungry to see a Lister-like rebirth of this place!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 1:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

They are working on the interior. Think there's a planned tour coming soon.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 4:00 PM

Very exciting. Can't wait to get a glimpse inside. Probably mind-blowing what they've done in there.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 9:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

martinus_g: Windows are going in at treble hall! http://t.co/TqPOlACi

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
Hammer'd

It's gonna look awesome with the windows in, for sure. Glad to see some more exterior work. I hope they will be sprucing up the ground floor storefronts soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues