HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One MiMA Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 4:34 PM

But the plan was to prevent cross platform transfers, which may or may not be a bad idea (I believe it was a good one), and in that sense, success. Both the 7th (1,2,3) and 8th (A,C,E) ave lines have the separate local and express platforms. As for the uptown to downtown 1 transfer, even with the 2 island setup, this wouldn't be easy. One of the reasons they are renovating 59th st as such is to greatly simplify the ut->dt 1 transfer. For a cross platform local->express, though, you need only ride 1 stop north from either station, or in the case of the 7th ave line, 3 stops south or 2 stops south on the 8th ave line. It's really not such a big deal. Based on the mess at Grand Central from cross platform transfers, this arrangement is much smoother.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 7:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
But the plan was to prevent cross platform transfers, which may or may not be a bad idea (I believe it was a good one), and in that sense, success. Both the 7th (1,2,3) and 8th (A,C,E) ave lines have the separate local and express platforms.
I use that line from Penn Station all the time, and it's a bad idea. You take a gamble, and try to guess which one will be coming first before you go up. A station away, at 42nd St, the platforms are more crowded, and transfering from local to express is no problem.

Quote:
As for the uptown to downtown 1 transfer, even with the 2 island setup, this wouldn't be easy. One of the reasons they are renovating 59th st as such is to greatly simplify the ut->dt 1 transfer. For a cross platform local->express, though, you need only ride 1 stop north from either station, or in the case of the 7th ave line, 3 stops south or 2 stops south on the 8th ave line. It's really not such a big deal. Based on the mess at Grand Central from cross platform transfers, this arrangement is much smoother.
I would say it's not a big deal if the subway system wasn't arranged with local and express subway stops. But it is. There's nothing reasonable about taking a train just a stop away to change to another when both trains ride side by side and stop in the same station. It's what makes the New York City subway system so great. There are options, and in most cases, you can choose between whatever comes first at those express stops if it suits you. We won't even get into the inconvenience of when the express has switched to the local at 34th St - unannounced - and you have no chance of running downstairs and running back up another flight of stairs to catch it, something you need not be concerned with at a typical local/express stop. But we are getting too far off track here.

The bottom line is that although the 7 line extension was primarily to jumpstart commercial growth on the far west side, the 10th Ave stop would serve a portion of "Hell's Kitchen" that doesn't have it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 5:39 PM

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 6:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Just last year we would have been looking at the Silver Towers nearing completion. Now this tower is racing to join them on the skyline. The glass looks darker in every photo.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 10:03 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

bonus the new residential buildings at 37th and 10th ave

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 10:55 PM
Harlem found

The glass also looks wavy and cheap. Get a developer to put up another black slab on 23rd Street, and another on 59th, and we'll have a line-up...

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:00 AM
BANNED

A new hotel is planned for the block with the run-down lowrises.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 12:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Looks like some boring Vegas hotel. It'll add height to the area, but no aesthetics. And perfect placement... right next to the ugly Lego building.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 3:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The glass just looks much darker than the rendering. On the other hand, it was stated by the developer that the rendering was inaccurate. Little did we know they were talking about the glass. I like monolithic, brooding towers, so its still to early to say how I feel about the glass. I need to see the building topped out so I can get a full sense of scale.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:39 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...ious_glass.php

Hell's Kitchen Tower Has Some Serious Glass

May 17, 2010, by Sara

Quote:
There's a lot going on at 60-story mixed-use tower 440 West 42nd Street. Like the pod hotel that marks the beginning of Yotel's U.S. invasion and the theater triplets from starchitect Frank Gehry. And now, glass! Intern Deanna took shots of the glassing from all angles, so take a look in the gallery above. We're guessing the neighbors have long since said goodbye to the view.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 6:49 PM
World Machine

For those in the area who aren’t fond of this project, I say embrace it. Chances are within the next couple decades, that area will continue to expand. As 42nd West continues to develop, so will the neighboring area.

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
For those in the area who aren’t fond of this project, I say embrace it. Chances are within the next couple decades, that area will continue to expand. As 42nd West continues to develop, so will the neighboring area.
The people who are against this will probably be the ones going to the Ghery designed theaters.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 4:08 PM

Here's 20 photos that I took yesterday. >> http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/a...2021st%202010/

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 5:16 PM
don't *meddle*...

there's a rumour on SSC and CTBUH about the tower's height has increased to 204m...

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 1:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadate View Post
Here's 20 photos that I took yesterday. >> http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/a...2021st%202010/
Thanks. Seems like just last week this thing was still a hole in the ground.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 1:49 AM

No problem! And yeah, this building is really shooting up...big difference from about september. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 2:06 AM

The tower is not even half way done and if the rumors are true about height increase then this tower will be amazing.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:05 AM

Rumor it up, I guess. It's on file as 627 feet and 57 stories. That's a little taller than the thread title, but not 204. The NB permit at this height was issued on 3/29/10, so it's likely to be a change from the original. Photos forthcoming.

And bam!

Last edited by RoldanTTLB; May 26, 2010 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:04 AM

From that angle it completes the 42nd Street canyon AND blocks the Zebra Building. Killing two birds with one stone.

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 11:05 PM

It's Peeking.

Lazgrapher

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive