HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 12:10 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I'll try not to Fox.

But yeah, Dac, the only curves I have in my city are the streets near the water.

Oh, I sort of updated the first post.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:47 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Sunset Plaza:
Sunset Plaza was built to bring space hungry companies to West Point and indeed it did. By 2002 the complex had an all time low of 58% vacancy. Then in January 2003 Telmex Communications bought the complex and set it's world headquarters in West Point leaving Mexico City.

Height: Tower 1: 747 feet/Tower 2: 424 ft. 9 in.
Floors: Tower 1: 55/Tower 2: 31
Use: Office
Built: 1988

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:58 AM

oh my luxury! Very nice, this is getting to be a nice neighborhood is there a fountain a monument something shiny or splashy on the white plaza in between the buildings?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:14 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

No, that's just a lobby connecting the towers, a concourse, and a tunnel connecting the complex to the subway.

But on the other side of the block there's a plaza with a small fountain and some trees. Oh, and obviously, greenspace.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:35 AM

but on top of the lobby (unless a glass ceiling) I nice scultpture would make get framed so nicely by the blgsg, w3hatever

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:47 PM
World Machine

Very nice, that's my style of architecture.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:27 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Thanks, I'll change my usual ways of architecture.

Those were "inspired" by the 5th Ave. Columbia Plaza here in Seattle and the Commerce Plaza in Toronto.

Vertical-No, the roof is just plain old air conditioners, vents, and just plain roof. I thought about adding a roof top plaza in the white section at the bottom but it just didn't seem right.

O.K. So I don't have many ideas on "old" buildings. By old I mean 1960,s 70's, 80's, and 90's. I need to get inspired.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:32 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Thanks, I'll change my usual ways of architecture.
I meant that that's my style of architecture that I like, not 'my style' in which you cannot use it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:38 PM
World Machine

Quote:
O.K. So I don't have many ideas on "old" buildings. By old I mean 1960,s 70's, 80's, and 90's. I need to get inspired.
Just look at the Manhattan skyline, and you'll get all the inspiration you need for those eras of highrises.

Here are a few that fall in those decades:

60's- pretty much all of 6th Avenue, and many other places in the city. Just think 'glass box, corporate slab', that style.
70's-pretty much same deal as above.
80's- The WFC, 7 WTC, 1 Financial Square, Trump Tower, 712 Fifth Avenue, 1 Worldwide Plaza. Kind of a diverse era.
90's- Morgan Stanley HQ, early times square highrises (excluding Astor). The real estate crash kind of killed that generation for NYC.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:41 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Oh, I know. I meant that I'll change my usual way of making glass, floor-by-floor, all that. Like in La Corte where no building had privacy.

Oh, it doesn't show it there but I added antennas to the taller of the twin towers because this is after all a communications company.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 12:09 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I just wanted to show 2 buildings I've had for a while:

The City Hall Building:
Height: 327 ft. 6 in.
Floors: 27
Use: Government Office.
History: The City Hall Building was built in 1934 when the city drastically needed space. The solution was 2 twin towers which would provide space for the government and even more to rent which would over time become government also. In 2001 2 bridges were built between the towers to make getting from one tower to another easier. The 2 buildings are also connected with a 5 floor base which is why it's called The City Hall Building not Buildings.

The two towers of the City Hall Building:

The Clock Tower Hotel:
Height: 346 ft to spire.
Floors: 20
Use: Hotel
History: The Clock Tower was built in 1896 when an entrepenour named Nicolas Maze needed room to expand his local news paper The La Corte Times. The original plan was for a 9 floor spare tower taking up a whole block but his business partner John Rosario came up with an idea to put the city and the building in the face of the Earth. The outcome was the Clock Tower which as it's name states: it has a clock to inform the poor the time. In 2005 a hotel chain bought the building and renamed it The Clock Tower Hotel. It is currently the most luxurious hotel in Latin America with a 6 star rating.

The Building:

It is located in the water front where people used to meet for parties and the Sunday Farmers Market:

The building was a huge masterpiece at the time; view from a small plaza located behind the Clock Tower:

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 5:31 PM
World Machine

Really looks great Alek. Two thumbs up for the City Hall.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 4:10 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

3 blocks I've finished in the North Financial:

I'll update later or tomorrow.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 10:56 AM
Desert Dweller

I'm sorry I missed this one, I must say the buildings look VERY good, realalistic but creative! I suggest turning on the shadows, so the buildings have more contrast against each other, notice how dark some of my Staunton Renders are.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 11:34 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Nice job mate!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 6:37 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I was thinking about turning shadows on right after I uploaded that into Photobkucket. But yeah I'll turn shadows on. I don't like the Blue building with a gray "A." Just doesn't fit in....

I wish I had photoshop but it's so hard!! If I get photoshop then I have less money for a new computer. Should I just save that money and use it for a new laptop? And if I get that new laptop then I don't get photoshop because it's not compatible with Apple (Macs). Plus the computer is like 1,600 dollars and this is the first thing my mom won't pay for so I have to really think about it before I do anything.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 8:15 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Bacon!

Union Square

The Union Terminal moves millions of people a year making it the second busiest terminal in Mexico. Even though the island is small, the economy is good enough that people take vacation every so often and the Union Station delivers those people to the La Corte Int. Airport. The Terminal was built in 1924 with only 2 rails. Over time 6 more were added underground. Now the 4 trains use the two rails aboveground and only stop at the La Corte Airport, and La Cotre making a full circle to the island. The Union Terminal had a metal roof above the rails but in 1996 it was torn down due to rust and collapsing parts so it was replaced with a blue, clear roof that allows more natural light to get into the station. In 2006 a plan was approved to make a tunnel almost 300 kilometers long which would connect the city to Mainland Mexico which would increase the # of riders and decrease the waiting time in the La Corte Airport. The plan would also add 2 new underground rails which would transport people from West Point to Guadalajara then Mexico.

Main Entrance:

Inside:

The Complex includes several Towers built between 1919 and 1926. The tallest one is the Terminal Tower which is 577 feet to the top of the spire. The Terminal Tower was built for the 1926 Worlds Fair but was finished in 1919. The plan was to built the tallest tower in the city until the West Point Tower some blocks away beat the Terminal Tower a year later at 621 feet tall.

The Complex was built over several years but includes The Hotel, Union Terminal, Terminal Tower, Water Tower (offices for water usage in city), and the Electric Building (used to control the electricity in the city).

MoMa

MoMa was built in 2005 to expand the West Point Art Museum. The W.P. MoMa contains modern art pieces and is connected to the West Point Art Museum (which is mostly pre-nineteen hundreds art) by a tunnel. The main piece of MoMa is a giant room elevated above the Plaza de La Artes (Plaza of Arts). The room is supported by giant beams colored in red, orange, blue, yellow, and green.

To the left of the image you can see the W.P. Museum of Art which is going major remodeling after a beam collapsed in the main dome causing critical roof failure:

The Historic District Now:

Last edited by Aleks; Nov 25, 2007 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 8:23 PM
World Machine

Looks very nice.

-Did you base the MoMA off the Ontario College of art and design? You did a good job with it.
-I also suggest that you make the Union Station have lines that connect to the mainland (Mexico). It would make your numbers of 'people who ride per year' more realistic.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 9:34 PM

That Terminal is a beast. I love it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 9:53 PM
Desert Dweller

Oh my god! I'm falling in love with your city. Its so REALALISTIC! Even if there are no photo textures, I think it looks great. I'm glad your doing a much more realalistic city now, looks GREAT.

Quote:
I don't like the Blue building with a gray "A." Just doesn't fit in....
Nononono, please keep it where it is, I really like the cluster its in, plus the building is very unique and overall looks greattt.

Please keep doing the shadows, this is really my favorite shot so far:

Have you ever checked Use Sun for Shading In the Shadow Settings box? What it dose is basically turns on shadows, but without the shadows, just the shading, you still have to turn on shadows when you want.

Heres the default, very unrealalistic, no depth or contrast at all.

Heres when its switched on, you can see there is no shadows casting on buildings, you still have to turn on shadows, but you can see the buildings have depth and shading now, specifically on a June Day around 11am.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup