HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:55 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Bayer among financial backers of startup Century Therapeutics’ cell-based immunotherapy platform
https://www.healio.com/hematology-on...erapy-platform

Century has 54 open jobs available, all in Philly. Their address is the new 3675 Market building.
Very exciting to see the growth of Philly's biotech scene happening in front of our eyes! If anyone of these companies turns into a market leader, you can bet more buildings will be constructed.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDreamsReturns View Post
I'd love to see someone who is infinitely more talented than I create an updated Philly skyline image with all the under construction and proposed towers in the pipe. I'm pretty good at drawing dinosaurs though.
You should check out the diagrams page on this website!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:30 PM
User Since 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I have, since 2002! I'm referring to a skyline photo with under construction/proposals superimposed, even if it's just a red box. We've had some people over the years do an update of this now and then.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:30 PM
Philly Pholly

The BLUE buildings represent projects under construction (or completed but not yet showing up on GoogleEarth)
The RED buildings have been proposed or "suggested" in the past years. Some I can't let go of.

7-12-19

7-12-19 c

7-12-19 b

7-12-19 e

7-12-19 d

Last edited by SEFTA; Jul 12, 2019 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 1:54 PM
User Since 2002

Super cool, thanks Sefta!!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:28 PM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:56 PM

^Wow, thank you!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 3:08 PM

With the MLB tower in the works, I'm wondering about the parking lot across the street in front of the PECO substation. I had heard it requires remediation and that development is cost-prohibitive at this time, but I don't have details. Does anyone?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 3:09 PM

These renders look great, SEFTA. Philly is growing up!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 5:56 PM

Nice to see the Lit Brothers tower still in your drawings. I've always thought that could make a huge change in that part of town.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Nice to see the Lit Brothers tower still in your drawings. I've always thought that could make a huge change in that part of town.
Can that building support a tower? I know the Gallery was made with that in mind but I never thought the Lit Brothers building could.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 8:50 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rittenhouse1 View Post
There is a soil testing truck boring soil samples on a lot at the corner of 15th and South Streets in Center City. This is a fairly large parking lot at present.

Does anyone know anything about this site and any potential building projects here?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
I'm going to go ahead and be that asshole:

Someone spilled the beans to me about what's going there, but I can't talk about it. This activity tells me it'll be public soon enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Hmm, that lot is huge and the northeastern part extends past Naudain St; that latter portion abuts the rear of the historically-designated Health Center #1. I forget, did the City select a developer yet for the Health Center? I could imagine someone controlling both properties and doing a unity-of-use maneuver to gain more height.

And then there's the former World Communications Charter School at the Broad & South corner, which Goldenberg Group bought a few years ago…

PIDC had put out a RFQ for the Health Center 2 years ago:
RFQ issued for midcentury modern health center on Broad Street | Curbed.com

Hmm, rumor late last year had Goldenberg as one of two finalists subsequently invited to submit an RFP:
The city’s Health Center One building on South Broad has a historic designation. But...why? | PhiladelphiaWeekly.com
In an odd twist when I went by at 6am this morning, the drilling rig was parked (unmanned) in the former World Communications Charter School parking lot near the southwest corner of the Health Center building, BUT a contractor truck and trailer labeled in big letters POTHOLE REPAIRS had just then pulled into the 15th & South corner parking lot. Doesn't seem that they'd be spending money fixing up the lot's surface if any new construction is imminent, but I suppose maybe they were just there to patch up behind the drilling.

Last edited by Jayfar; Jul 13, 2019 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:23 PM

Can't read this but it sounds like good news for this building which means less options for big tenants.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Can't read this but it sounds like good news for this building which means less options for big tenants.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline
It's good. It says the large voids left by the departures of Wells Fargo and Montgomery McCracken are getting filled and they expect the building to be 95% leased up by years end. Getting higher rents too.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
In fairness, the Philly diagram isn't very good. There are no drawings for almost all the Schuylkill Yards buildings, The Laurel, 1301 Market, etc. and there are no years attached for most U/C or proposed projects.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Can that building support a tower? I know the Gallery was made with that in mind but I never thought the Lit Brothers building could.
Isn't there a dead projects section of this site? This was never intended to be build on top of the existing collection of buildings. The plan was to demo some of the existing on Filbert St. mid block and build a completely new tower. I don't think it got very far along in the planning stage. Too bad, something of that scale could make a big difference, right between Chinatown and Market St. east.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:31 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Isn't there a dead projects section of this site? This was never intended to be build on top of the existing collection of buildings. The plan was to demo some of the existing on Filbert St. mid block and build a completely new tower. I don't think it got very far along in the planning stage. Too bad, something of that scale could make a big difference, right between Chinatown and Market St. east.
According to a 2014 PhillyMag article, the 30-story tower would have preserved the Filbert St facade, but involved building a new structure within the building envelope:

https://www.phillymag.com/property/2...passes-review/

…and they were still talking about it in late 2017:

https://www.phillymag.com/property/2...t-street-east/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:35 AM

Since I've never seen anyone talk about it on here, can we talk about the terrible quality overbuild?
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9497.../data=!3m1!1e3

This is abysmal, but I've never actually noticed from ground level. When was it added?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 1:00 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Since I've never seen anyone talk about it on here, can we talk about the terrible quality overbuild?
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9497.../data=!3m1!1e3

This is abysmal, but I've never actually noticed from ground level. When was it added?
1955-56. Another Thalheimer & Weitz abomination commissioned by the Pennsylvania Lumbermens Mutual Insurance Co when converting from hotel to office building. They also altered the podium into an all-glass box, but UArts altered it back to a simulation of it's original design around 2001 using a $3.2 Million grant from the Commonwealth.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:50 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
1955-56. Another Thalheimer & Weitz abomination commissioned by the Pennsylvania Lumbermens Mutual Insurance Co when converting from hotel to office building. They also altered the podium into an all-glass box, but UArts altered it back to a simulation of it's original design around 2001 using a $3.2 Million grant from the Commonwealth.
That Ritz-Carlton Hotel is probably one of the most altered buildings ever, going way back. In the early 1910s its footprint was substantially enlarged on both Walnut and Broad St.

Walnut St c. 1913:
https://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoA...x?assetId=5737

Broad St:
https://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoA...x?assetId=5768

Completed aerial view 1914:
https://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoA...x?assetId=5771

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations