HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 1:53 AM

PORTLAND | My Strange Addiction

People have been moving to Portland for hundreds of years, but when I moved there for the first time in 2009 it seemed like it still had so many elements of authentic old Portland left. The Portland that people fell in love with and stayed for. Things like the leafy streets with affordable cute bungalows, transit and bike friendly culture, and an open tolerant community where you could be yourself.

When I moved back to post-Portlandia Portland in 2015 after grad school in London, it had changed a lot and I was not prepared for it at all. The rent had gone up significantly, traffic was horrible, the homeless problem had become significantly worse. The local culture I once loved began to feel like a caricature of old Portland and many of the unique local places had grown into chains and each old streetcar oriented commercial strip began to feel like a twee version of the generic beige Walgreens next to a beige CVS next to a beige McDonald's next to a beige Publix I tried to escape as a Floridian. Instead of those stores it was a ZoomCare, next to a Salt & Straw, next to a Bollywood Theater, next to a Boxer Ramen, next to a Little Big Burger. Portland had been commodified and was ready to be consumed by Instagrammers, Bloggers, and worst of all *shrieks in horror* Californians.

Not all of the change was bad though, many parts of the city were cleaned up and redeveloped in a very nice yet somewhat sterile way. There were more people with good career jobs that reflected the new knowledge / tech / sports apparel economy that continued to cluster in the city which led to a city with a better balance between counter-culture slackers and 9-5'ers. But with the influx of new people there was an erosion of the live and let live mindset the city once had, and in every trendy craft brewery or cold pressed juice shop it felt like all the eyes were judging everyone to make sure everyone is cool enough to belong there.

I left Portland the second time around due to a job related move to Columbus, OH, but I still miss it and would go back for round three. Columbus is okay but there isn't anything captivating about the city unlike Portland which drew me in from the start.

The quality of life in Portland (for an American city) is unbeatable and the access to nature is top notch. Many bigger American cities can't rival it's food scene and music scene. Part of me wants to move abroad but if that doesn't work out, Portland would be my long term pick because even with the new downsides that came with its success it still has the best of everything.

Musical accompaniment from Oregon native Japanese Breakfast:
Video Link

This thread was hand crafted sustainably using cage free cruelty free fair trade organic vegan gluten free artisanal digital photographs taken locally in Portland, Oregon.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:05 AM
Community Guy

Keep it everything.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:42 AM
Beer Stampede

Wow!! So much new mixed in with the old!! I'm digging Portland!!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 6:31 AM

Good set. Nice mix of viewpoints.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 8:59 AM

nice, it just needs one really tall one now

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the pics! Your experience seems somewhat similar to mine. I fell in love with Portland a couple of decades ago. I left in 2006, but return as often as possible, and I would say that it is the one city that could possibly lure me back to North America on its own merits. I also have mixed feelings about its evolution, but it remains my favourite city in Anglo-America. And you made it look great!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 12:25 PM

Scrumptious!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Why?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:09 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

this is great.

i last visited PDX during the mid and late 00s, and so experienced "peak portlandia" as a visitor. at the time it felt different to me from seattle of course, and had a vaguely midwestern (kansas city/minneapolis midwestern not cleveland midwestern) feel to it (away from like mt tabor park or a view of mt hood of course) and was eminently charming, in form and folk. i imagine that has changed, if the changes i've seen in seattle over the past few years are a good template. i'm certainly nostalgic for that portland, too, and am a bit afraid of returning. several of my acquaintances in kansas city during the mid 00s left for portland, and i could see why.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:03 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

continuing down that path of peak portlandia nostalgia, "Old Joy," (2006) personified that gentler Portland (for me), and prompted me to visit and become a (remote) convert. I remember going in bars and randomly meeting ozark hillbillys and east coast escapee manhattan natives co-mingling without judgement. stuff like that.

wikipedia.com

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:51 PM

Great tour!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:41 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great photo tour.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:24 AM
Registered Ugly

All of the same people are still here. The ones who were lucky enough to be in a position to buy during the great recession are never leaving their neighborhoods because they'll never afford a house in it again if they leave. And everyone else is either forced to live outside the 205/217 now or make major life-deferring sacrifices to stay in their trendy walkable neighborhoods.

Lovely photos.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 1:57 PM

I love where Portland is going about its normal business in creating a wonderful cityscape.......hopefully part 2 is on the way?
BTW, I loved the sound track!

Last edited by Natural; Jan 19, 2019 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:14 PM
Me?!?

Great pics! I know many Philly people who have moved there, all have since moved back. I haven't visited Portland yet but it's on the list for sure.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
portland's highrise "missing" middle between the big pink and the rest of the cbd is starting to fill in, well conceptually at least. supposedly this is in the works. http://www.nextportland.com/2018/09/12/block-216-dar2/

also great pictures. im glad you focused on alot of the new infill and apartments. many of them look great....

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 5:33 PM

I love Portland. Great photo tour!!

The KOIN Center is one of my favorite skyscrapers. Just a gorgeous building.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 1:57 AM
Downtowner

I love Portland, I would move there in a heartbeat if I could get a job there that paid anything, so until that happens which is probably never, I guess I will just have to fantasize about it. Thanks for the great set!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:34 AM

Great tour of the city! I agree with you on Portland's changes -- gentrification has happened so quickly in the last five or so years, and along with it more traffic, homelessness and expensive living. But it's also a more exciting place to be, in my mind, from the Portland of 10 or 20 years ago. New restaurants pop up almost daily, breweries continue to proliferate, and there's a thriving distillery scene (the airport even has one, ha!) And all the surrounding natural beauty is still there, protected by urban growth boundaries (which is part of the reason for all the infill development and locals' rage at old houses being torn down). Anyway thanks for the great tour and the lovely shots.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:20 AM

I wish to visit one day!

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos