HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:23 AM

Attn: A List - America's Best Cities for Hipsters

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are poorly represented.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...for-hipsters/1

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:34 AM

Image from blog.chron.com

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:17 AM

/\/\/\ Got to love that Sharon Needles!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:10 AM

Looks more like a list of cities that yuppies who think they're hip would enjoy. "Real" hipsters (what's left of them anyway) moved to places like Portland initially because of the relative high quality of life for the cheap housing and relative ease of living a more alternative lifestyle. With that in mind, the next hotpots that Hipsters will be flooding will be Rust Belt cities such as Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:29 AM
Paramoderator

More like a list of what cities have the most microbreweries and coffee shops. All the hipsters are moving to Detroit now, anyways.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:58 PM
Red October standing by

great parody piece from my hometown. i wanted to post it in the hipsters thread in skybar but i can't find that thread

Werehipster attacks plague Fourth and Gill neighborhood

Quote:
She said an urban, 30-something lycanthrope first attacked her dog for being a beagle, then went after the Hubbards.

"It was snarling, but in an ironic, aloof sort of way," said Fritz. "And it was guzzling PBR and sneering about corporate culture. I'm just glad they're going to be OK."

This is not the first werehipster attack in the Fourth and Gill neighborhood. Last month, during a full moon, a college student was attacked for renting a non-independent film from a Redbox. In January, a high school student was scolded for not using a Mac.
-

-fflint

Last edited by LSyd; Apr 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:44 PM

I love Sharon Needles!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:22 PM
Eurosceptic

Sharon Needles is the embodiment of today's Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbassett View Post
Looks more like a list of cities that yuppies who think they're hip would enjoy. "Real" hipsters (what's left of them anyway) moved to places like Portland initially because of the relative high quality of life for the cheap housing and relative ease of living a more alternative lifestyle. With that in mind, the next hotpots that Hipsters will be flooding will be Rust Belt cities such as Pittsburgh and Detroit.
I've noticed that, and I agree. I think Hipsters are on the move , constantly.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:48 PM
She needs her space

I've just been hanging out in Riverside, a neighborhood in Jacksonville that has always been somewhat "hipster", and it has gotten REALLY hipster. It's probably by far the most hipster place in FL, and definitely right up there with some areas of ATL and other cities. There are coffee shops, yoga studios, bike shops and bike washes everywhere, and if you aren't wearing skinny jeans and glasses you really stick out like a sore thumb. I am thoroughly impressed, I just wish as many upwardly mobile young professionals would move to Jacksonville as there seem to be hipsters moving to the city. Like has been said about Portland, I think what's attractive about Jacksonville is its older neighborhoods and building stock and even warehouses (totally unlike the rest of FL) and its low cost of living and low housing costs. Old middle schools and elementary schools are being converted to lofts. All the good restaurants are 10 tables or less. Brick abounds and bikes are the transportation of choice. Shockingly impressed. This area is still a secret, but like all other secrets in the country, it will break out soon and it won't be a secret for long. Total contrast to the sprawl that the city is characterized and known for.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:48 PM

The list is dumb. Can we just change this to a Sharon Needles appreciation thread?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 8:45 PM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
I've just been hanging out in Riverside, a neighborhood in Jacksonville that has always been somewhat "hipster", and it has gotten REALLY hipster.
Bike washes? Wow never heard of that before. So Jacksonville is blowing up on the hipster scene, who would have thunk it... I can't really compare it to other cities but San Diego seems to have quite a burgeoning movement in North Park/South Park, and Golden Hill neighborhoods. I think this is an interesting social movement, tons of young people who are broke with low prospects of becoming "upwardly mobile professionals" we should have a good discussion of this on SSP.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 10:00 PM

Sharon Needles is the future...of drag.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 10:36 PM

It's certainly far from a perfect list. I've been to San Juan and I saw no where near as many people in skinny jeans and/or thick black frames with fixies downing 24oz PBR tall boys as in Columbus, OH. I would think it would be easy to narrow down hipster-oriented neighborhoods and add up the number of establishments catering to this crowd, but I guess that's too much work. Although, Mpls definitely belongs on the list, but St Paul? No. They are, despite the "Twin Cities" moniker, not identical.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 1:47 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Dammit!

Anyways, meh:

http://nymag.com/news/features/69129/

http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

Its really all about the beards now (lumberjack look). And even Jobs was sporting one, soo...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
More like a list of what cities have the most microbreweries and coffee shops. All the hipsters are moving to Detroit now, anyways.
I have to imagine a lot of up and coming areas of LA are predominantly hipster, no?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 5:15 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I have to imagine a lot of up and coming areas of LA are predominantly hipster, no?
Of course. Hipsters move to what is cheap and 'authentic'. The more central areas of L.A. are exactly that.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 9:27 AM

^I don't necessarily think that all hipsters have to ascribe to pretending or actually being authentic because they want to slum it hardcore. The idea of hipster is so mainstream that it also involves people who want to make money at their cool high paying job. Buy a $1500 custom-designed bicycle, purchase single-estate origin beans for $18.00/lb, shop organic without flinching and live in a well established neighborhood that fits the nice bill.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Sharon Needles is the embodiment of today's Pittsburgh.
truth. Also, only a few on this list make sense. Lots of strange choices here. Seems to be a "stiff, 54 year old tries to write about kids" article.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 4:37 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusite View Post
It's certainly far from a perfect list. I've been to San Juan and I saw no where near as many people in skinny jeans and/or thick black frames with fixies downing 24oz PBR tall boys as in Columbus, OH.
What the hell is a hipster, anyways? Is there a consensus definition? Or would be too un-hipster to have a consensus anything?

I'll add, anybody who wears skinny jeans in the Caribbean is just an idiot. Yikes, you'd cook in that tropical heat. What does a tropical hipster wear, I wonder?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions