HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 10:28 PM

Permit Application Filed for $8M in Improvements at SCO
Memphis Daily News

Quote:
Linkous Construction Co. Inc. has filed a $7.8 million building permit application... to add 6,800 square feet of first-floor space and 23,000 square feet of second-floor space, according to The Daily News Online.

The first floor will be a classroom and laboratory area, said Perry Miller, senior project manager with Linkous Construction. The second floor will be an auditorium, classroom and common areas. “This is a phase one of a multiphase project,” Miller said. “They’ve been planning this for close to a couple of years and they’ve just recently given everybody the green light to go ahead.”
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...ements-at-sco/

www.sco.edu

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:28 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
^^^^That was a good article, the comment section however was just about as lame as any CA comment section. Hopefully something will be done with the Sterick building, but as we all know, its going to be hard to find a plan that will be economically feasible. I'm afraid that it will eventually be demolished along with the Sears building.
You really think they will destroy that beautiful building? What a terrible shame that would be.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 2:38 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
You really think they will destroy that beautiful building? What a terrible shame that would be.
I hope not, but its been vacant for years with little to no attention. I know that Memphis Heritage has tried to push for improvements to take place, but the current owner doesn't want to put forth the money, the city doesn't necessarily have the money, and the future owners won't take over until 2025, and as you know a lot can happen to a vacant building in 13 years. The next problem is what it would become. Memphis isn't experiencing the push to move downtown like Nashville is, and there are already 3 or so hotels soon to break ground in the next few months to accommodate the visitors from the new Bass Pro Showroom over at the Pyramid. Its going to take multiple developers working together and having an extremely mixed use development to turn it around.

It originally was white, but I think its beautiful like it is, but then again I've never seen it white. I have a friend who went in and took photos about a year or so ago, its a pretty cool place inside right now. I actually think there's an episode of ghostbusters or w/e that show is on Discovery or TLC that features the Sterick Building if you want to get a better feel for what its like on the inside.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Quote:
I hope not, but its been vacant for years with little to no attention... Its going to take multiple developers working together and having an extremely mixed use development to turn it around. It originally was white, but I think its beautiful like it is, but then again I've never seen it white...
I once heard that underneath the paint, the building's exterior is granite & limestone or something like that. So, in theory, the building's paint could be sandblasted right off and it would look fantastic. Interesting aspect, but I couldn't be sure how much truth there is to it. The building's longtime exterior color scheme was the same as Lincoln American Tower @ Court Square Center, white paint with green roof. This building was not only the the tallest in Tennessee for many years, but she was actually the tallest in the entire Southern United States for some time. I believe surpassed by something in Dallas or Atlanta then took 2nd in TN after Nashville's L&C Building in '57.

Bluff City News Co., Memphis, Tenn

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 3:17 PM

Altgen may build plants in Bolivar, Middleton
Company seeks state permits, cities' mayors say
The Jackson Sun

Quote:
The Chicago-based Altgen Corp. is attempting to acquire state permits to build biofuel manufacturing plants in either or both Bolivar and Middleton, said those cities' mayors. Altgen could locate its Bolivar plant at or near that city's solid waste landfill, said Mayor Willie Spencer. He said one of the buildings Altgen might acquire was the former Crane Composites building near Grand Junction. The Middleton plant likely would be located inside that city's Davis Industrial Park, north of the ThyssenKrupp elevator plant and south of Pulse Road, said Middleton Mayor Vernon Henderson. Each mayor said Altgen's initial investments in those cities could be as high as $35 million.
http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20...text|FRONTPAGE

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 12:56 AM

Im happy for Memphis and everything that they have planned, but they've got to build more highrises in the downtown area. For a city with nearly (what?) 700,000, it's skyline is small.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 1:17 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^I really wish One Beale wouldn't have fallen through. That really was an awesome highrise. The Trinity Towers was another nice proposal. The Vue on Main was another box but it still would have added some height and density. There's not really a need for downtown commercial space right now, but maybe we can get another decent proposal in the next few years in the form of condos/hotels, but a couple of 5 story hotel proposals and the addition to the Marriott are probably gonna have the needed hotel space covered.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 4:33 PM

I hope someone also tears down the abandoned, horrid Midas or Jiffy Lube building on this corner!

Chain eyes site at East Parkway and Summer where a Walgreens was blocked
Residents may back plan at 'awful' corner location
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
Property owners at and adjacent to the southeast corner of East Parkway North and Summer are negotiating to sell to a national chain. If a deal is struck and rezoning approved, the business development would use the vacant lot at the corner -- where a gas station once stood -- and also require demolition of the long-vacant apartments abutting it to the south.

Ten years ago, nearby neighborhood associations Hein Park and Evergreen successfully opposed plans by Walgreens to build on the same site. Neighbors opposed commercializing a segment of the historic parkway system and demolition of the then-occupied, historic apartments, built in the 1920s. But over the past decade, the apartments have become vacant and had been allowed to deteriorate into an eyesore.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...parkwaysummer/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jan 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 4:47 PM

Construction of the new Kroger at Poplar Plaza appears to be moving ahead
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
Kroger had announced it will build an 87,000-square-foot store just west of the existing one in Poplar Plaza at 3444 Plaza Avenue. The neighboring construction site was to mean the demolition of several existing retail spaces. The existing grocery is to remain open during the nine to 12 months of construction. The new building will be about 30,000 square feet bigger than the existing one. It will have a bistro and onsite chef, sushi station, fresh soup-and-salad bar, doughnut shop and expanded deli, meat and seafood departments.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...appears-be-mo/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:33 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
I hope someone also tears down the abandoned, horrid Midas or Jiffy Lube building on this corner!
Is this the lot that's across from the On The Run or Hop n Go or w/e they are with the big red for sale sign? I think its a Midas next door but that stretch looks junky and needs to be cleaned up. There's way too much potential for that spot to go to waste like that.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Is this the lot that's across from the On The Run or Hop n Go or w/e they are with the big red for sale sign? I think its a Midas next door but that stretch looks junky and needs to be cleaned up. There's way too much potential for that spot to go to waste like that.
Yes, that's it. With the Broad Ave. revival that slice of land inbetween Summer Ave. & Sam Cooper Blvd. is going to see some impressive gains in the coming years.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 4:14 PM

End users find ripe market for commercial property
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
End users are finding the price is right for commercial properties in the Memphis market, something investors have known for awhile.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...al-market.html

ALAN HOWELL | MBJ

Quote:
Associated Pharmacies Inc. recently purchased this property at 5375 Mineral Wells for its first Memphis distribution operation.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 4:15 PM

Still a hot ticket: Elvis' drawing power proves a safe bet at Graceland
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
Elvis Presley's birthday is a milestone this year, which marks both the 35th anniversary year of his death and the 30th year since Graceland set out on the "grand adventure" that turned it into one of the best-known tourist attractions on the planet... Graceland since has averaged more than 600,000 visitors a year, with more than 750,000 a couple of years.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-a-hot-ticket/

Photo by Jim Weber/ The Commercial Appeal

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 4:15 PM

Pyramid construction in full swing clearing path for Bass Pro
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Bass Pro Inc. has everything from bowling lanes to archery ranges in its stores, but the company’s planned Memphis superstore in the Pyramid will be something different indeed. Not only will a 32-story stainless steel outdoor retail shop be unique, so too will its construction process.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...ull-swing.html

Photos: ALAN HOWELL | MBJ

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 4:55 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Did they mention the time table of the demolition of the arena format? I'm not a subscriber so I couldn't read the entire article.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
^Did they mention the time table of the demolition of the arena format? I'm not a subscriber so I couldn't read the entire article.
The city will hand over the emptied Pyramid (demolition & seismic upgrades completed) to Bass Pro Aug.1st 2012. From there Bass Pro will have exactly one year of explosive-style construction and must open Aug. 1st 2013.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:32 PM

I posted a link about this a while ago and now the deal is done with another 625,000 sqft of commercial industrial space off the market.

Trane Signs Lease on Tradeport Drive

Quote:
Trane U.S. Inc. has finalized its 625,000-square-foot industrial lease in Southeast Memphis after the deal process initially began in January 2011. Trane, an affiliate of Dublin-based Ingersoll-Rand, will occupy all of Chickasaw Building E’s building at 5200 Tradeport Drive. The warehouse facility was originally developed for Hewlett-Packard.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...-tradeport-dr/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jan 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:48 PM

Permit Application Filed for S. Main District Project
Memphis Daily News

Quote:
The PILOT application agreed upon in May 2010 included demolition of a current building and construction of a three-story, 29,000-square-foot mixed-use building with 1,500 square feet of retail space, 25 apartment units and 25 underground parking spaces.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news.../digest/#65398

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^That sounds pretty good. Any news on the firm designing this?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:
^That sounds pretty good. Any news on the firm designing this?
Not that I've seen, but hopefully it'll be something that fits the neighborhood well. It's about 5 blocks south of Carlisle's headquarters (proposed One Beale site).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations