HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Salt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 8:05 AM

Science World Expansion/SWITCH Outdoor Science Park | Completed

This has been announced for awhile. It was suppose to have been completed last year, but no it is not canceled. There are funding issues, even though the project will only cost $4.5-million. Science World still intends to go ahead with this project...it is their top priority.

It's a shame that they couldn't do more with an expansion. The museum really lacks exhibits, because it lacks space....the admission prices are quite ridiculous, considering what you get to see. I would love to see an underground expansion under the proposed footprint for the Outdoor Experience Park....see 85,000 square feet of exhibit space added to the building....but they would need serious funding for that to happen, and perhaps more annual operational grants from government.

They had huge problems with accommodating the Body Worlds 3 exhibit because of a lack of space. They even had to close down part of the Eureka physics exhibit to fit in Body Worlds. In fact, as many as 12 full body and even a horse specimen that was part of Body World's 3 could not have been brought to Science World due to a shortage in space.

I also hope to see government subsidize admission fees like in Europe. The Hong Kong Space Museum admission fee is subsidized by the government, because it was British influenced when Hong Kong was still a colony. For about CAN$2.00, I could get into the space museum...which was about the same size as Science World. Not to mention that an additional cost for a movie at the museum cost only CAN$0.60. If that were put in place here, you'd have flocks of people going to museums.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how much mileage they'll get out of this proposed outdoor expansion with all the rain we get....nobody wants to be playing out in the rain...especially parents with their kids.

--------------------------------------------

Ken Spencer Science Park at Science World

Continuing in its tradition of turning kids on to science, Science World today unveiled a conceptual plan for a science park unlike any other in North America. Assisted by a commitment of $1 million from lead donor Dr. Ken Spencer (co-founder of Creo Products), the Outdoor Science Park will
animate the rapidly developing False Creek neighbourhood with an array of public and private, colourful, interactive exhibits focusing on the issue of environmental sustainability.

“As Past Chair of Science World’s Board of Governors, I have long been an advocate for all the lively programs and exhibits that exist inside the TELUS World of Science building. I am thrilled today to present the opportunity to bring that same vibrancy outdoors,” says Dr. Ken Spencer. “Imagine False Creek alive with kids learning about potential energy, local water sources and even urban housing growth through bright, hands-on, engaging exhibits!”

Science World’s intention is to develop the 84,000 square foot area surrounding the TELUS World of Science building with a private component (“Ken Spencer Science Park”) and free-to-the-public components (“Environment Walk” & “Water Walk”). Whereas the public areas will provide self-directed, unstaffed exhibits and a practical pedestrian traffic flow on the Sea Wall, the Ken Spencer Science Park will offer more complex, guided exhibits and activities. All exhibits will be designed to educate visitors -- with Science World’s trademark playful style -- about the issues affecting local and global environmental sustainability.

“Environmental sustainability is one of the most relevant topics in science today, especially in our part of the world. But the confines of our facility make it difficult for us to fully engage kids with this issue,” says Bryan Tisdall, Science World’s President & CEO. “We are excited to offer kids the opportunity to learn about the environment directly in the elements, rather than in an enclosed space.” To make the Outdoor Science Park a reality, Science World is now working toward gaining the approval and support of the City of Vancouver, the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation, as well as
community leaders and associations. In addition to Dr. Ken Spencer’s generous gift to the project, Science World is also seeking financial support from individuals, the corporate sector, and government. Science World hopes to open the Outdoor Science Park in 2007.

DID YOU KNOW:

- The Telus World of Science 'golf ball' is actually a geodesic dome, the design of which was created by American inventor R. Buckminster Fuller (1895-1983).

- The building was constructed for Expo 86 and served as the Expo Centre. During the World's Fair the pavilion housed the Futures Theatre. The film A Freedom to Move was featured in the Omnimax Theatre.

- The building contains seven galleries, two theatres, four teaching labs/classrooms, a gift shop, a restaurant and administration offices.

- The building is 155 feet tall and has a volume of 36,790 cubic metres

- The building is supported by 182 piles and a foundation of reinforced steel in a concrete slab.

- There are 391 lights and 766 triangles on the Science World dome.

- There are 15,000 pounds of extruded steel and steel panels on the dome. The panels are 1/40,000th of an inch thick and are covered with a vinyl surface.

- A 45-minute Omnimax film requires about four kilometres of film stock.

- The Omnimax theatre screen is five stories high

- The 15,000-watt xenon lamp that lights the screen is so bright that if you placed it on the surface of the moon and focused it at a spot on Earth, you could see its light.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 8:08 AM

Turning kids on to science
An 84,000-square foot outdoor science park, costing about $4.5 million, has been proposed on the grounds of Science World

Chad Skelton
Vancouver Sun

Friday, September, 23, 2005

Science World will today announce an ambitious plan to build a $4.5-million Outdoor Science Park on the grounds around its iconic, geodesic dome.

The idea still requires city approval and additional funding, but high-tech millionaire Ken Spencer has already come forward with a donation of $1 million to get the project going, arguing that getting children interested in science is essential to developing B.C.'s high-tech sector.

"You've got to turn kids on to science," said Spencer, who co-founded the software company CREO. "You've got to make science as fun as kicking a soccer ball."

Detailed plans for the 84,000-square-foot park still need to be worked out, but conceptual drawings shown to The Vancouver Sun earlier this week envision three sections to the park.

The paid-entry Ken Spencer Science Park would be in front of Science World and included in general admission.

But the plan also include two free parks -- an Environment Walk along Quebec Street, and a "Water Walk" along the water side of Science World.

All three sections would feature several outdoor science exhibits.

Science World president Bryan Tisdall said many existing outdoor science parks simply feature regular exhibits placed outside.

In contrast, he said, the Outdoor Science Park will focus on "the science of the environment and the science of sustainability."

Initial ideas for exhibits include a model of the Capilano Reservoir that explains how the region's watersheds work and a model "Climax Forest" that demonstrates how forests regenerate.

The design of the exhibits will be done by Science World staff, said Tisdall, but international companies will likely be contracted to build them.

Building such exhibits is a specialized art, he said, because they need to be able to withstand significant wear and tear.

"The motto is: If you build it, they will jump on it," he said.

Tisdall said he hopes that the Outdoor Science Park will help renew interest in Science World and boost attendance by about 15 per cent -- in part by making it an all-weather destination.

"We want to be as attractive on a sunny day as a rainy day," he said.

Science World will launch a fundraising drive today, seeking support from individuals, corporate sponsors and the government to help cover the additional $3.5 million cost of the park.

Well, a little bit less than $3.5 million.

Eleven-year-old Shira Druker, whose mother was one of the consultants on the early plans, liked the idea of the park so much that she emptied her piggy bank twice to help pay for it, to the tune of $39.55.

The final plans for the park will require approval from city council and the parks board -- votes that will likely take place after the municipal election this November.

Tisdall said initial discussions with councillors and city staff have been favourable.

If everything goes according to plan, Science World hopes to have the park up and running by 2007.

cskelton@png.canwest.com

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 9:18 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Looks great - I love the "Conceptual 'Kids-Eye' View".

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 9:31 AM

I like the Hamster wheel. I wanna try one of those

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 4:23 PM

I heard about this a few weeks ago, sounds really cool.

This job is being tendered by a few GCs already so it will than likely go ahead quite soon. I'll see if I can dig up some more info.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 3:41 AM

The public environmental walk portion would be a homeless person's paradise.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 3:55 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Yes that would be the case. Then again the benches that don't deter sleeping would be paradise too.

Does City council approve of this?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Yes that would be the case. Then again the benches that don't deter sleeping would be paradise too.

Does City council approve of this?
The city council at the time this was proposed in 2005 loved it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 6:20 PM

Quote:
My guess is it will be heavily patrolled by private security... I'd be surprised if you would see more homeless there than you do anywhere else downtown.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
My guess is it will be heavily patrolled by private security... I'd be surprised if you would see more homeless there than you do anywhere else downtown.
Imagine if the homeless decided to have a squat there.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Imagine if the homeless decided to have a squat there.
You can't kick them out of a space on the PLANET THEY WERE BORN ON.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
You can't kick them out of a space on the PLANET THEY WERE BORN ON.
does that mean that when i come home, i could expect to see strangers in my bedroom and living room?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:31 AM

there used to be a tent city there a few years ago

it caused a ruckus

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:36 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Science World - Outdoor Science Park | Proposed

Does anyone know about the outdoor science park at Science World? There have been news for it awhile ago. They also have signs on the doors to the outdoor plaza. Are they still there?

Quoted from MrX from 2007

Quote:
This has been announced for awhile. It was suppose to have been completed last year, but no it is not canceled. There are funding issues, even though the project will only cost $4.5-million. Science World still intends to go ahead with this project...it is their top priority.

It's a shame that they couldn't do more with an expansion. The museum really lacks exhibits, because it lacks space....the admission prices are quite ridiculous, considering what you get to see. I would love to see an underground expansion under the proposed footprint for the Outdoor Experience Park....see 85,000 square feet of exhibit space added to the building....but they would need serious funding for that to happen, and perhaps more annual operational grants from government.

They had huge problems with accommodating the Body Worlds 3 exhibit because of a lack of space. They even had to close down part of the Eureka physics exhibit to fit in Body Worlds. In fact, as many as 12 full body and even a horse specimen that was part of Body World's 3 could not have been brought to Science World due to a shortage in space.

I also hope to see government subsidize admission fees like in Europe. The Hong Kong Space Museum admission fee is subsidized by the government, because it was British influenced when Hong Kong was still a colony. For about CAN$2.00, I could get into the space museum...which was about the same size as Science World. Not to mention that an additional cost for a movie at the museum cost only CAN$0.60. If that were put in place here, you'd have flocks of people going to museums.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how much mileage they'll get out of this proposed outdoor expansion with all the rain we get....nobody wants to be playing out in the rain...especially parents with their kids.

--------------------------------------------

Ken Spencer Science Park at Science World

Continuing in its tradition of turning kids on to science, Science World today unveiled a conceptual plan for a science park unlike any other in North America. Assisted by a commitment of $1 million from lead donor Dr. Ken Spencer (co-founder of Creo Products), the Outdoor Science Park will
animate the rapidly developing False Creek neighbourhood with an array of public and private, colourful, interactive exhibits focusing on the issue of environmental sustainability.

“As Past Chair of Science World’s Board of Governors, I have long been an advocate for all the lively programs and exhibits that exist inside the TELUS World of Science building. I am thrilled today to present the opportunity to bring that same vibrancy outdoors,” says Dr. Ken Spencer. “Imagine False Creek alive with kids learning about potential energy, local water sources and even urban housing growth through bright, hands-on, engaging exhibits!”

Science World’s intention is to develop the 84,000 square foot area surrounding the TELUS World of Science building with a private component (“Ken Spencer Science Park”) and free-to-the-public components (“Environment Walk” & “Water Walk”). Whereas the public areas will provide self-directed, unstaffed exhibits and a practical pedestrian traffic flow on the Sea Wall, the Ken Spencer Science Park will offer more complex, guided exhibits and activities. All exhibits will be designed to educate visitors -- with Science World’s trademark playful style -- about the issues affecting local and global environmental sustainability.

“Environmental sustainability is one of the most relevant topics in science today, especially in our part of the world. But the confines of our facility make it difficult for us to fully engage kids with this issue,” says Bryan Tisdall, Science World’s President & CEO. “We are excited to offer kids the opportunity to learn about the environment directly in the elements, rather than in an enclosed space.” To make the Outdoor Science Park a reality, Science World is now working toward gaining the approval and support of the City of Vancouver, the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation, as well as
community leaders and associations. In addition to Dr. Ken Spencer’s generous gift to the project, Science World is also seeking financial support from individuals, the corporate sector, and government. Science World hopes to open the Outdoor Science Park in 2007.

DID YOU KNOW:

- The Telus World of Science 'golf ball' is actually a geodesic dome, the design of which was created by American inventor R. Buckminster Fuller (1895-1983).

- The building was constructed for Expo 86 and served as the Expo Centre. During the World's Fair the pavilion housed the Futures Theatre. The film A Freedom to Move was featured in the Omnimax Theatre.

- The building contains seven galleries, two theatres, four teaching labs/classrooms, a gift shop, a restaurant and administration offices.

- The building is 155 feet tall and has a volume of 36,790 cubic metres

- The building is supported by 182 piles and a foundation of reinforced steel in a concrete slab.

- There are 391 lights and 766 triangles on the Science World dome.

- There are 15,000 pounds of extruded steel and steel panels on the dome. The panels are 1/40,000th of an inch thick and are covered with a vinyl surface.

- A 45-minute Omnimax film requires about four kilometres of film stock.

- The Omnimax theatre screen is five stories high

- The 15,000-watt xenon lamp that lights the screen is so bright that if you placed it on the surface of the moon and focused it at a spot on Earth, you could see its light.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:40 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

2008TTED0052-001839

Dec. 8, 2008
Ministry of Technology, Trade and Economic Development

GOVERNMENT PROVIDES $10.5M FOR SCIENCE WORLD BC RENEWAL

VANCOUVER – A $10.5-million investment by the Province will help Science World BC undergo much-needed upgrades and develop an outdoor science park, Ida Chong, Minister of Technology, Trade and Economic Development, announced today.

“Science World BC plays an important educational role in our communities, and it is a symbol of British Columbia’s leadership in science, technology and innovation,” Chong said. “This funding will help ensure Science World can continue to spread enthusiasm for science and technology to children and adults around the province.”

Science World BC opened in 1989 and attracts more than 525,000 visitors annually. The building, erected for Expo 86, was not designed or built for permanent operations. The facility needs upgrades to its building systems, including envelope, foundations and structure, to remain usable on an ongoing basis.

“We are proud of our efforts to inspire a science and technology culture in British Columbia, and this funding will help protect our unique iconic building,” said Bryan Tisdall, president and CEO of Science World. “We are really looking forward to creating our outdoor science park. It’s going to make learning about environmental sustainability exciting and meaningful for our visitors – and it will include our trademark engaging and hands-on approach to discovering science.”

Science World aims to use the 7,803-square-metre park to explore themes of science and sustainability – such as clean energy, earth science and water stewardship – making them relevant and meaningful for the community.

In addition to its programs in Vancouver, Science World BC also offers a variety of outreach programs that bring science into classrooms and communities, addressing everything from climate change and environmental action to the human body. These programs reach more than 180,000 children, educators and parents throughout the province.

-30-

Media

Gordon Williams

Communications Director

250 952-0152

250 413-7316 (cell)

For more information on government services or to subscribe to the Province’s news feeds using RSS, visit the Province’s website at www.gov.bc.ca.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 6:05 PM

I haven't heard anything, which should mean it is still on track... has anyone heard otherwise?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 6:12 PM
In Love With YVRthing

As long as kids stay off the GD bike path - maybe some sort of invisible electric fence?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexYVR View Post
As long as kids stay off the GD bike path - maybe some sort of invisible electric fence?
That would certainly teach them the science of something.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 10:29 PM

Climax forest

tee hee

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

There's no timeline for the project, how unfortunate....

If only the province could hand over Science World something like $100-million, much-needed renovations and 80,000 sq. feet in additional exhibit space and the moving of the Space Centre from Vanier Park to Science World. The museum shouldn't just be for toddlers and elementary school kids, the only real exhibit Science World has had in the last decade was Body Worlds 3 - and even then, they were only able to bring 70% of the specimens to Vancouver because Science World was simply too small (even after using half of the Eureka physics space and expanding into the concourse).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver