HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 9:57 PM

1500 SW Taylor | 127'-6" | 11 Floors | Dead

This is curious. Most of the tear downs reported by the Portland Chronicle are either a) in low density zones where they are likely to replaced with one or two new homes, or b) in high density zones areas where the project is already quite far into design review. This is in an area with quite intense zoning, but I haven't come across any proposals for the site. I wonder what's happening?

Quote:
1892 Frederick V. Holman House to Be Torn Down

PORTLAND, Ore. – A house built 124 years ago by a prominent architect in the Goose Hollow neighborhood of Southwest Portland will be torn down following the same-day issuance of a demolition permit early this month.

Located at 1500 SW Taylor St., the house was built in 1892, according to the University of Oregon digital library. It totals 6,397 square feet in size on a 10,000-square-foot corner lot.

Although it was formerly solely a residence, the property is now partially classified as a commercial office building.
...continues at the Portland Chronicle.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 1:12 AM
A before E

Definitely a sad loss, but that area of Goose Hollow is changing rapidly and this old house is surrounded by parking lot. My guess is we will see another apartment building rising in its place, but I am okay with losing something like this for that area of the city to become more dense and active.

Or as I always say in Oregon, if people don't want something torn down, then they should buy it and prevent it from being torn down, even a beautiful old home like this one.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 7:45 PM

The current issue of the NW Examiner [PDF] has an article about the Fredrick V. Holman house at 1500 SW Taylor St.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 7:11 PM

SERA Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss 1500 SW Taylor St:

Quote:
10-story mixed-use apartments including approximately 150 residential units and two levels of below grade parking.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 10:27 PM

^^^

Where are you getting information on this pre-app conference? Can't find it.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 12:51 AM

From the weekly Metro Reports. The actual Pre-App notice should go up online within the next week or two.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 12:27 AM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Ten Stories, 150 Units Planned to Replace 1892 Holman Home

PORTLAND, Ore. – The 124-year-old Frederick V. Holman house, which was issued a demolition permit in March, is proposed to be replaced by a 10-story mixed use building with roughly 150 residential units and ground-floor retail space.

The 1892 house is located at 1500 SW Taylor St. Public records list the owner as KHK LLC, registered to Christopher Kent.

As previously reported by this publication, the city received an application to demolish the house on March 4. The applicant was listed as Mike Doran of Skanska, which also serves as the contractor, and because the house is dual-classified as commercial as well as residential, it was not subject to the 35-day demolition delay and the permit was issued the same day.
...continues at the Portland Chronicle.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 1:00 AM

^---its a shame, quite beautiful.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 3:18 AM

Lame. This better be one beautiful building, in place of yet another piece of Portland history. It should at least be a slender tower rather than a squat 10 story building.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:51 AM

Associated with some interesting people, but I really don't find it to be that interesting of a structure.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 3:06 PM

Given the location, I think a 10 story tower is a better use of the space.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 6:11 PM
A before E

That is such a shame, but also given the location, it was a matter of time before it was torn down, not many people have any use for a single family home in the middle of the city. Honestly, the house should have probably been torn down decades ago because that whole area west of downtown should have already been built into apartment buildings.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That is such a shame, but also given the location, it was a matter of time before it was torn down, not many people have any use for a single family home in the middle of the city. Honestly, the house should have probably been torn down decades ago because that whole area west of downtown should have already been built into apartment buildings.
I think the demolition here is short-sighted. Even Manhattan has random small surviving wooden houses that are a human scale welcome relief from the towering of nearby buildings, and which give character to whole neighborhoods.

And for Brooklyn, see woodenhouseproject.com

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 3:17 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by profx View Post
I think the demolition here is short-sighted. Even Manhattan has random small surviving wooden houses that are a human scale welcome relief from the towering of nearby buildings, and which give character to whole neighborhoods.

And for Brooklyn, see woodenhouseproject.com
Manhattan only has one wood house that I know of, not saying there aren't more, I just don't know of any more. Brooklyn is a different story because there are a number of brownstone neighborhoods in less hot neighborhoods that are wood, and there is a desire by some to preserve the few that exist, which is really cool.

I am just saying this one specific part of the city, the neighborhood that once surrounded this old house is gone long ago. If one is looking for a large collection of old wood buildings, all they have to do is cross Burnside to find a neighborhood full of them or head west and find plenty heading up the hill.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 7:20 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I'll be sorry to see this lovely house go, but for this specific location, I think the added housing and especially the added activity will be a net positive for the neighborhood. I hope what gets built there won't be ugly.

I'll be so excited when those nearby Oregonian concrete bunkers go. This chunk of Goose Hollow is in for some pretty massive change, most of which will be for the better.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Manhattan only has one wood house that I know of, not saying there aren't more, I just don't know of any more. Brooklyn is a different story because there are a number of brownstone neighborhoods in less hot neighborhoods that are wood, and there is a desire by some to preserve the few that exist, which is really cool.

I am just saying this one specific part of the city, the neighborhood that once surrounded this old house is gone long ago. If one is looking for a large collection of old wood buildings, all they have to do is cross Burnside to find a neighborhood full of them or head west and find plenty heading up the hill.
There are quite a few in Manhattan. The three along east 92nd are particularly well known.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2014/10/hous...t-92nd-street/

The comparison to Manhattan was meant to suggest that it adds interest and relief to a street when there are such survivors precisely within a dense neighborhood. It is because goose hollow is destined to become much more dense that we should preserve this particular historic structure. It will lend character to the high rises all around it. We shouldn't repeat the sad example of the demolition of south Portland for , among other things. the Harrison towers, resulting in a very tall but very soulless part of town. I'm a fan of cities revealing the layers of their history through remnants (like that random Victorian with the psu development wrapped around) rather than consigning whole neighborhoods to one era or another.

Last edited by profx; Jun 13, 2016 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 12:54 AM

While I get—and agree—with your general point, I disagree with your assessment of the area around the Harrison towers as being "soulless". The landscape sequence surrounding the towers is listed, for good reason, on the National Register of Historic Places. It might not be to everyone's taste, but it's a totally unique part of the city, and I for one love it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:15 AM

SERA Architects have requested Design Advice for a project at 1500 SW Taylor St:

Quote:
Design Advice Request for a Type III Design Review for the construction of a new 10-story mixed-use building with some ground-level retail and residential development, approximately 150 residential units. The project will include two-levels of below-grade parking. See parent folder (PC 16-175812).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 7:21 PM

This is now on the Design Commission agenda for September 22nd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland