HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 7:36 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I would imagine that site would be a good spot for a halfway house/low income housing.
I think the freeway gateway to downtown Portland is a TERRIBLE place to locate a homeless shantytown!

I'm not quite as against locating all the social services around the train station and bus depot... the entire social services location is just a gigantic clusterfuck, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
I would imagine that site would be a good spot for a halfway house/low income housing.
With the elevation, it's a great spot for an office building or residential tower with parking underneath it. The views would be awesome. Getting it back on the tax rolls would also be a plus.
Let's figure out how to get these folks into some permanent housing and provide the assistance to get them back on the right track. The worst thing we should do is encourage our citizens to live in outside shantytown-like camps in the middle of the city. We're not a third world country. We can and should do better. Fritz and the rest of the city council who support this should be ashamed of themselves. Resign if this is the best solution you can come up with.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [PDF - 40 MB] and Staff Report for SW Park and Columbia. I like the composition of the building as a whole, but given how inactive the frontage on SW Columbia is I'm surprised that they're recommending approval.
SW Park & Columbia was approved today.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:18 AM

Saw this on twitter today:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:49 PM

deleted... convo moved on

Last edited by BrG; Feb 21, 2017 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:53 PM

deleted

Last edited by BrG; Feb 21, 2017 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:11 AM
A before E

Quote:
Saw this on twitter today:

Honestly, I am surprised, I expected to see that block or at least much of that block torn down for a new building. I didn't think anyone would spend the money to renovate this building.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 7:31 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
[QUOTE=urbanlife;7719810]Honestly, I am surprised, I expected to see that block or at least much of that block torn down for a new building. I didn't think anyone would spend the money to renovate this building.[/QUOT

I will not yet comment on the curious penthouse proposed for the building's redevelopment, but I will offer support for the fact that the block will not be leveled and replaced by one new building. For the sake of architectural variety and a greater chance that the pedestrian level will be more interesting, I support renovations of partial-block buildings with adjacent new infill buildings. Jane Jacobs would have likely expressed the same preference.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 8:04 PM

Jane Jacobs is the Rorschach test of urbanism. Whatever someone thinks she would have liked reveals more about them than it does Jacobs.

(This isn't directly specifically at you, DMH; your comment just made me think of something I've been feeling for a while.)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I am surprised, I expected to see that block or at least much of that block torn down for a new building. I didn't think anyone would spend the money to renovate this building.
It is definitely cheaper and faster to renovate a building like this and get "creative office space". I know a couple of building owners in downtown that have done this. It may not be the final use of the land, but if the budget or demand for a full block project isn't in place, this is a good way to make money in the interim.

I believe that this is what happened with the Skylab "Weave" project, that eventually just became office and retail.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
For the sake of architectural variety and a greater chance that the pedestrian level will be more interesting, I support renovations of partial-block buildings with adjacent new infill buildings.
Although I sometimes disagree with you on how contemporary architecture should be incorporated into historic districts, I am in complete agreement with you on this.

The impending demolition of the Fishels building is the perfect example IMO, even more so because of its location amidst a sudden surge of new development. We focus too much on "historic" historic buildings at the expense of looking thoughtfully and holistically at preserving/incorporating the remnants of our early 20th century urban fabric. I'm quietly hoping that that project goes "on hold" forever and that someone like Malsin picks that block up and does something more creative with it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Jane Jacobs is the Rorschach test of urbanism. Whatever someone thinks she would have liked reveals more about them than it does Jacobs.

(This isn't directly specifically at you, DMH; your comment just made me think of something I've been feeling for a while.)
What a curious metaphor! Oh well. In any case, in a previous century when I completed my architectural studies, Jane Jacobs' writing and theories were not part of our required reading, probably because she did not have urban design credentials. When years later I finally read The Death and Life of Great American Cities, it was after lots of travel and observing how many cities work. I found much in Jane Jacobs' observations to be spot on. I doubt that many urban designers today would disagree with many of her observations.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:53 PM

I read the The Death and Life of Great American Cities when I was an undergrad, a little more than 10 years ago. It wasn't required reading for my course, but of all the books I read during my time at architecture school it was probably the one that had the biggest influence on me.

On a general scale I agree that her observations were spot on. The problem comes when trying to use them to evaluate any single proposal. For instance: in reaction to the Tabula Rasa planning of the mid-century, Jacobs wrote about the need to need to preserve older buildings, which often have lower rents. She also spoke about the need for dense mixed use neighborhoods. Her conception of the minimum suitable density for a city is denser than any neighborhoods in Portland, except possibly the Pearl. So when I see something citing Jacobs as reason that a single story commercial building at SE 50th & Division (as an example) should be preserved, I think, well yes, you can make that argument based on thinks she said. It's also possible to make the exact opposite argument.

In any case, I'm happy to see this building refurbished and I'll look forward to seeing more images Beebe Skidmore's final design. Their refurbishment of the former Rose City Awning building into Swift's headquarters is excellent (link one, two).

My only sadness is that this developed has displaced Portland's underage gay club, the Escape. I've never been, but know a lot of people for whom it was very important when they were younger. It's sad to think that there is another place like it for LGBT youth anymore.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 1:43 PM

Quote:
I read the The Death and Life of Great American Cities when I was an undergrad, a little more than 10 years ago. It wasn't required reading for my course, but of all the books I read during my time at architecture school it was probably the one that had the biggest influence on me.

On a general scale I agree that her observations were spot on. The problem comes when trying to use them to evaluate any single proposal. For instance: in reaction to the Tabula Rasa planning of the mid-century, Jacobs wrote about the need to need to preserve older buildings, which often have lower rents. She also spoke about the need for dense mixed use neighborhoods. Her conception of the minimum suitable density for a city is denser than any neighborhoods in Portland, except possibly the Pearl. So when I see something citing Jacobs as reason that a single story commercial building at SE 50th & Division (as an example) should be preserved, I think, well yes, you can make that argument based on thinks she said. It's also possible to make the exact opposite argument.

In any case, I'm happy to see this building refurbished and I'll look forward to seeing more images Beebe Skidmore's final design. Their refurbishment of the former Rose City Awning building into Swift's headquarters is excellent (link one, two).

My only sadness is that this developed has displaced Portland's underage gay club, the Escape. I've never been, but know a lot of people for whom it was very important when they were younger. It's sad to think that there is another place like it for LGBT youth anymore.
I understand your sense of loss. Years ago on an upper floor of that building in an open loft space, talented Portland actor Michael Mendelson, when he was new in town, performed an edgy one-man show. Such interesting edgy performance options likely are only found on the Eastside today. A sadder change happened on the west and north sides of this block before New Avenues for Youth took over that building. On the north was a restaurant with big wood operable windows facing the street as well as a popular gay bar, Family Zoo. On the west was the funky retro store Habromania, a small café, and other storefront tenants. Upstairs there were artist studios. The second floor windows were operable and you could see some of the activity inside. Today the building is hermetically sealed with dark tinted windows. The sidewalks are dead. The building is now a black hole sucking life from its surroundings.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:22 AM

Quote:
I understand your sense of loss. Years ago on an upper floor of that building in an open loft space, talented Portland actor Michael Mendelson, when he was new in town, performed an edgy one-man show. Such interesting edgy performance options likely are only found on the Eastside today. A sadder change happened on the west and north sides of this block before New Avenues for Youth took over that building. On the north was a restaurant with big wood operable windows facing the street as well as a popular gay bar, Family Zoo. On the west was the funky retro store Habromania, a small café, and other storefront tenants. Upstairs there were artist studios. The second floor windows were operable and you could see some of the activity inside. Today the building is hermetically sealed with dark tinted windows. The sidewalks are dead. The building is now a black hole sucking life from its surroundings.
I think the cafe you mention was called Umbra Penumbra. I used to go there in the mid-90's when I lived downtown. They had cool shows (Elliot Smith, for example) and spoken word/rap open mics. In the mid-2000's I ended up working many a night shift in the same building -- in the youth shelters (Porchlight and Streetlight) that were run by Janus Youth Programs prior to NAFY taking over.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:54 AM
A before E

Quote:
I will not yet comment on the curious penthouse proposed for the building's redevelopment, but I will offer support for the fact that the block will not be leveled and replaced by one new building. For the sake of architectural variety and a greater chance that the pedestrian level will be more interesting, I support renovations of partial-block buildings with adjacent new infill buildings. Jane Jacobs would have likely expressed the same preference.
I wasn't giving an opinion towards or against demolition of this building, especially since I am a big fan of Jacobs and her accomplishments for the built city and historical preservation. My point was because there is a parking lot on each side of this building, I always imagined someone would simply buy up this building and the lots beside it to tear it down and build a larger building in its place.

Having this building see new life like this is definitely a good thing because it is important to preserve and reuse the buildings that we already have before tearing down to build anything new.

Quote:
When I first moved to Portland, I was above the drinking age and I remember a friend telling me that Portland was a fun city to live in at the time, and if you were of legal drinking age, then it was a really fun city to live in. It is sad to see that Portland slipping away as I begin to wonder what kind of city it will be for for those under 21, who have seen a number of all ages places in Portland disappear. Even more so for the LGBT community, I don't know about any new things that could be popping up that is aimed towards that community, but I feel like all that use to be here for them has slowly been disappearing.

Last edited by urbanlife; Mar 2, 2017 at 7:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:15 AM

Design Advice has been requested by Bora Architects for the renovation of the Meier & Frank Building:

Quote:
Design advice to discuss renovations to the façade of the existing Macy’s. New retail entries would be created on SW 5th and SW 6th Avenues and updates to the SW Alder façade. The scope of the project includes tenant improvements from the basement to the fifth floor. This work includes interior demolition of floors one through five.
A project at 333 SW Park Ave has been submitted for Type II Design Review by Beebe Skidmore Architects:

Quote:
General restoration of building. New storefront and addition of 1,000 sf penthouse.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:36 AM

Quote:
A project at 333 SW Park Ave has been submitted for Type II Design Review by Beebe Skidmore Architects:

Rough spot for retail.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 1:37 AM

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Exclusive: First look at what's in store for the creative space in downtown's Macy's building (Renderings)

The partners who purchased the five floors of the historic Meier & Frank Building in downtown Portland from Macy's plan to convert the space from textbook department store to sleek, modern-day creative office space.

KBS and Sterling Bay, which bought the lower five floors of the 16-story building from Macy's for $54 million last fall, has shared their initial vision for the space in a series of renderings. The images show some of the hallmarks of contemporary creative office space, including wide-open work spaces, employee lounges and an expansive fitness room.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland