HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:25 AM

Oakridge is not a bad guess, and just to get a bit crazy. Marine drive gateway? Though the airport may not allow that.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:28 AM

What's that building at the SW corner of Georgia and Burrard? It looks like the western half of that site allows for a 700 footer. It's pretty close to Burrard Station. Though 700 feet doesn't seem like something that wouldn't be "surpassed".

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:37 AM

I guess you have to find an area that would face backlash. I don't really see "vocal local backlash" when talking about a site like Holburn's parkade project.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:46 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Figured I'd start a rumour to liven up the place. We will be seeing a proposal come forward soon, the scope of which BC has never seen before both in height and density and it's unlikely to get surpassed. I'm sure there will be vocal local backlash against it. The site is in Vancouver proper and will be very we served by transit. That is all anyone is getting for now, further update after Oct 8th. And before people get too carried away, my words were carefully chosen.
The shortest and least dense building ever in BC?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
You know what you could be right. He did say his words were chosen carefully.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:57 AM

Quote:
A new single family home at Georgia and Burrard?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:18 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post

Oakridge is not a bad guess, and just to get a bit crazy. Marine drive gateway? Though the airport may not allow that.
It could very well be the Pearson/Dogwood project and it's accompanying future Canada line station.

http://pearsondogwood.vchnews.ca/
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...t/pearson.aspx

As far as something being small and under built, i highly doubt it in this city. I would love to see proper density at Broadway/Commercial station but i thought there was excessive backlash there?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
LEGO® IMAGINE NATION TOUR VANCOUVER
SEPTEMBER 30 – OCTOBER 2

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:29 AM

Maybe on the current St. Pauls site? Once the new one is built it could be a site for a large development. I guess it's not served very well by transit though.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:29 AM

THIS is why I love this thread. Good job in getting people excited, jlousa!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 7:26 AM

I was thinking any of:

- Kerfoot lands over the railway tracks at Waterfront Station (though there are view cones) - liable to get the Gastown heritage folks up in arms
- Revival of proposals for waterfront lands east of Canada Place (next to Crab Park)
- Holborn / Bay Parkade (but it's under a view cone)
- Dogwood Pearson Lands (athough there is a plan for this already)
- RCMP Lands
- Jericho Lands (but not near rapid transit for a long time)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 9:01 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

But under current city policy that would likely get surpassed.

Seriously, anyone who is actually getting excited about this is out to lunch. If the proposal is for Vancouver proper (i.e., the City of Vancouver) and is of a height and density that is unlikely to get surpassed, then the proposed height and density being rumored about will never be approved under current city policy and leadership. This council has reaffirmed numerous times its rigid and obstinate adherence to the viewcone guidelines and its timidity and cowardice regarding increases in height and density during rezonings. And on the most accommodating site specified under the city's Higher Building Policy, where there are no viewcones (except the Queen Elizabeth viewcone), the maximum allowable height (recently reaffirmed in the West End Community Plan) is 700 feet, i.e., a measly 45 feet taller than Shangri-La. Burnaby is still in the early stages of a new era of skyscraper development and there is already a proposal reportedly in the works for a tower taller than Shangri-La at Gilmore station. Given its current trajectory and attitude, it appears that Burnaby is likely to surpass heights of 700 feet in the near/medium future. Therefore, if it is really true that this rumored project proposes a height that is unlikely to get surpassed, then this proposal (unneutered) is surely a pipe dream, so long as current city policy and attitude hold sway.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Figured I'd start a rumour to liven up the place. We will be seeing a proposal come forward soon, the scope of which BC has never seen before both in height and density and it's unlikely to get surpassed. I'm sure there will be vocal local backlash against it. The site is in Vancouver proper and will be very we served by transit. That is all anyone is getting for now, further update after Oct 8th. And before people get too carried away, my words were carefully chosen.
October 8th is a Saturday: a Sunday announcement?

Vocal backlash: Trump Tower 2.0?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
It could very well be the Pearson/Dogwood project and it's accompanying future Canada line station.

http://pearsondogwood.vchnews.ca/
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...t/pearson.aspx

As far as something being small and under built, i highly doubt it in this city. I would love to see proper density at Broadway/Commercial station but i thought there was excessive backlash there?
Well served by transit must mean at least one skytrain line in close proximity.

RCMP Lands would have been my guess, with a 33rd Ave Canada Line station. The density achieved there could be insane, but I don't know about height. And it would face a huge backlash from west side NIMBYs.

"Unlikely to be surpassed" is interesting, as if it's on a unique space in the city. Burj-level tower on top of QE Park?

What about the parking lots south of Main St station? Still city owned (and McDonalds). Do they have viewcones?

Too early jlousa, you should have only given us a week.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:22 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if Ian Gillespie has secured a site we don't know about yet...

A record density would be quite something. I believe the most dense rezoning so far in the City of Vancouver has been ~24 FSR.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I was thinking any of:

- Kerfoot lands over the railway tracks at Waterfront Station (though there are view cones) - liable to get the Gastown heritage folks up in arms
- Revival of proposals for waterfront lands east of Canada Place (next to Crab Park)
- Holborn / Bay Parkade (but it's under a view cone)
- Dogwood Pearson Lands (athough there is a plan for this already)
- RCMP Lands
- Jericho Lands (but not near rapid transit for a long time)
And yet I've heard from more than one market participant that has said Holburn thinks that height limits won't apply to them. I do wonder if this is the dark horse site, even if that dark horse and rider might end up tilting at windmills.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:43 PM

The Sinclair centre? Apparently the developer of that site is looking for around 1,000,000 sqft

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
And yet I've heard from more than one market participant that has said Holburn thinks that height limits won't apply to them. I do wonder if this is the dark horse site, even if that dark horse and rider might end up tilting at windmills.
I've also heard similar things about what Holborn's planning to do with the Bay Parkade site. Heard from one source that they plan to out-do what Telus did with their site across the street.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
What about the Bay parkade site would generate vocal opposition though?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I guess you have to find an area that would face backlash. I don't really see "vocal local backlash" when talking about a site like Holburn's parkade project.
Ohh trust me these guys will lash out at anything anywhere in Vancouver proper. They will probably say the building will overshadow the catholic church or the Bay building, or maybe even the garbage can on Seymour street.

A mere announcement like this is creating such a sensational buzz, meaning that Vancouver has nothing much to offer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver