HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 1:11 AM

I suppose by clear glass they mean green tinted condo glass. If they want solar shading, why not just go with reflective glass instead of installing clear glass, and then going through the trouble of installing vertical fins? Even older building are conforming to the new code of blandness. Sorry to shit on your announcement Leftcoaster.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 1:42 AM

i wouldn't call this fun... a mediocre building becomes even more mediocre. how fun...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:16 AM

Another oddity about the quote in the press release is that the Canaccord Tower is not currently a "mirrored" building. It has a light brown tint, but it is not mirrored.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Sorry to shit on your announcement Leftcoaster.
It's ok Logan, I don't expect too much more out of this forum to be honest.

There are some HD renderings of the fritted glass and new crown lighting but since you guys all know exactly how the building is going to turn already out I wont bother.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

There are some HD renderings of the fritted glass and new crown lighting but since you guys all know exactly how the building is going to turn already out I wont bother.
I'd love to see more detail and thanks for the scoop!

The building is very tired as is and this should help keep up the overall image of Pacific Centre.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:43 PM

Calling the Canaccord a dark tower is being generous at best, it's more of a mediocre two-tone brown mishmash of glass. The new cladding will be better even if it's clear glass.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Calling the Canaccord a dark tower is being generous at best, it's more of a mediocre two-tone brown mishmash of glass. The new cladding will be better even if it's clear glass.
Yeah, it was lightened up after the public decried the "black towers" at 700 and 701 West Georgia. The Four Seasons hotel design was also changed - it was originally supposed to be dark glass as well.

I'd be interested in seeing what's planned for the "crown", given that the Granville Bridge view cone limits the height of the Canaccord Building to its current height (300 ft?) - that's also why the Hudson across Granville is the same height. Fritt sounds promising.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:02 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I share your opinion Leftcoaster, it's no wonder most of our collegues refuse to post here. To be preached at by the uneducated on matters being discussed certainly doesn't offer must incentive.

I still encourage you to post the renders if you want, there are some that would love to see them, myself included.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:35 PM

I feel some on here are just a little numb given the relative silence recently regarding new major proposals (some previously known ones have been refined / moved closer to reality, which is nice, but not much to write home about) and the criptic nature of past rumors that turned out to be major let downs (such as the commercial / Broadway redevelopment, which despite being the busiest Skytrain hub in the metro area the proposal could not even match recent suburban developments).

It also doesn't help that at the same time Toronto and now Edmonton are pumping out arguably exciting major announcements regarding new tallest towers. Even Quebec City now has a major proposal far taller than anything in Van.

It will take something substantial to recapture excitement on this forum regarding rumors and downtown Vancouver.

That said I do appreciate all the work and information that LeftCoaster provides this forum. Despite being a bit of a Debby downer I can full heartily say that LeftCoaster is one of this forum's most well balanced and valued members

Don't let our negativity bum you out, the information is always very appreciated.

I just personally want one of these rumors to be a new tallest for the city one day, or even a major lighting feature added to our Enterrainment Didtrict (I can be quite jealous of Toronto at times...)

I really don't want Vancouver's tallest towers to be in the suburbs. Such situations are okay for old classic cities such as Paris, but not modern cities full of glass towers such as Van.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:51 PM
retro_orange

Quote:

I'm still curious, I wanna see them. That building is very blah and dull.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I share your opinion Leftcoaster, it's no wonder most of our collegues refuse to post here. To be preached at by the uneducated on matters being discussed certainly doesn't offer must incentive.

I still encourage you to post the renders if you want, there are some that would love to see them, myself included.
Office towers are now trending towards green tinted glass. That's a fact. So educated or uneducated, it's a legitimate concern that we might (or probly will) have another green tower added to the skyline.

You know, this is a skyscraper site and this is a fairly large building that is going to look significantly different. There is an initial rendering so I think it's fair that we get to express our opinions and not be belittled by some so called expert on architecture.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I'd be interested in seeing what's planned for the "crown", given that the Granville Bridge view cone limits the height of the Canaccord Building to its current height (300 ft?) - that's also why the Hudson across Granville is the same height. Fritt sounds promising.
You're bang on, there was a much more substantial crown proposed but the city denied it because it protruded into the viewcone (even though the mech penthouse already does too). The 'crown' was reworked to just fins and lighting now, more of an illuminated parapet really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The constant negativity, bitching and moaning, and jumping to conclusions are just so predictable. An opinion is one thing, but being a completely miserable sot is another entirely.

I try to be somewhat constructive in my opinions, on this site and in life, pointing out what I do like but pointing out things I feel could be improved. Especially when I can only see a borderline thumbnail of a rendering.

I really wonder what most posters on this forum are like at a party, do they just sit in the corner complaining about everything then wonder why no one will come over to talk to them?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
You're bang on, there was a much more substantial crown proposed but the city denied it because it protruded into the viewcone (even though the mech penthouse already does too). The 'crown' was reworked to just fins and lighting now, more of an illuminated parapet really.

The constant negativity, bitching and moaning, and jumping to conclusions are just so predictable. An opinion is one thing, but being a completely miserable sot is another entirely.

I try to be somewhat constructive in my opinions, on this site and in life, pointing out what I do like but pointing out things I feel could be improved. Especially when I can only see a borderline thumbnail of a rendering.

I really wonder what most posters on this forum are like at a party, do they just sit in the corner complaining about everything then wonder why no one will come over to talk to them?
Not sure where I land on the negativity scale (there are many projects that I am excited for and I am often a defender is Skytrain (such as the Canada Line) and various aspects of highways in BC (especially given our geography context) but maybe the negativity seen at this current moment is more to do with the fact that this was announced on the rumor thread at a time that other cities in Canada are announcing 250 meter, 300 meter plus towers as their rumors. Maybe the downtown updates thread would have been a better venue?

And also you just included the largest pet peeve a skyscraper enthusiast can ever have on a site like this, increadibly low and strict view cones. Another aspect neutered by view cones. Expect the negativity to get worse after you mentioned that!

Personally, I do think that the negativity towards the view cones is very justified given how many projects have been negatively affected by them as of late.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
And also you just included the largest pet peeve a skyscraper enthusiast can ever have on a site like this, increadibly low and strict view cones. Another aspect neutered by view cones. Expect the negativity to get worse after you mentioned that!

Personally, I do think that the negativity towards the view cones is very justified given how many projects have been negatively affected by them as of late.
I have issues with the view cones, no doubt. They actually have effected me far more than any of you I can guarantee you of that.

Also, people are allowed to dislike things, have negative viewpoints towards projects etc etc... its the relentless complaining and jumping to conclusions that is just so damn tiresome.

And I really did try to temper expectations:

Quote:
Nothing too big or important but I'm sure some will find it interesting.
Personally I do find it interesting as Canaccord Tower has always been a tower that never really worked architecturally for me so I find a chance to re address some of it's architectural inadequacies exciting. I personally think the white and clear glazing will stand out in the neighbourhood since there is nothing else like that around, but that's just my (highly biased) opinion.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:45 AM

Welp, it'd be nice to see actual clear (low iron) glass, because it would make a difference.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:46 AM

Well I would like to see the renders, and I am always happy to add another lighting feature to our skyline (and office towers usually have a better chance of keeping them on afterwards compared to condos from what I have seen)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:50 AM

Pic by me just now.

PS - weren't there also rumours about the Four Seasons being reclad?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 2:03 AM

Grateful for what we have

My view is that the Rumors Thread was meant to be a fun thread. It gives those who know a little extra the chance to share / gab about what they do know without violating trust or damaging their own career. I always feel grateful when anyone gives us a tip off.

I understand why some feel frustrated that things are too vague, or don't live up to their hopes. However, one has to remember that what is let out is usually the most that can be said without risking the anger of the higher powers.

Though there are some in here that would dump on anything discussed, that's to be expected- this is the internet. What get's me are the people that genuinely want better, but would rather be armchair generals than do any real advocacy.

I'm not sure why anyone would feel "that" disappointed about Commercial and Broadway. With Bing Thom's firm on that project, one knows it's going to be something special as it's their legacy to him. Just because it's not tall, doesn't mean it won't be great. Just look at some of the examples in Montreal.

I want to say thank you for the heads up LeftCoaster. I'm excited to see the proposed changes to this site.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:10 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'll add some fuel to the thread as well, but can't give out details for reasons just discussed. There will be another office proposal coming to light very shortly which is expected to proceed at a very rapid pace.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:12 AM

Completely new (rather than just dormant?)

PS - speculating is the fun part....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver