HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 12:52 PM
Nashville born and raised

My new rendering of the Midtown area with proposed development. Not much new, just a different style.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Sep 4, 2015 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 4:22 PM

Tennessean article: http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...oval/71521010/

If you purchase or rent a property in the central business district of a city, shouldn't you have expectations that at some point other developments will take place around you that might impede your views, increase the traffic and create other potential issues that are basically a nuance of living in a central business district? If you want to ensure that your view is protected, then move into a building where the developer purchased air rights to ensure that those views are always protected. If you want to sunbath don't live in the CBD where there are existing and more than likely future high rises that may block the sun from baking your skin. I'm surprise there wasn't a complaint of other people being able too look out their windows to watch them sitting around the pool.

If you elect to live in a CBD you have to accept that your surroundings will change and possibly change your views, traffic, etc. It's just part of the territory. I like that this developer is proposing a tall slender building rather than some squatty 15-20 story building that would probably take away more views and block the sun to others in a similarly sized building. I've mentioned this concept of building tall slender buildings before on this site because it's now being done quite frequently in NYC. And, it is amazing how you can still enjoy nice views, sunlight, etc. if you're in a property near them. It's just not necessary for apartment and condo buildings to take up half a city block or more. I'd rather live in a taller building with 4-6 apartments/condos per floor than to live in a shorter building with 10-20 units per floor. That's what you're seeing happen in NYC and other major cities.

I know Nashville is not NYC by any stretch of the imagination. But, if you're going to live in the core of the city, you need to accept that your environment WILL change as the CBD grows. More than likely that growth is going to be upwards and it's going to happen around you at some point.

As for the increase in traffic, current Gulch residents need to understand that the more people they have living in that area the more opportunities there will be for additional businesses to open that will serve that community. As such you create more "foot traffic" than vehicle traffic during certain hours (i.e. after work an weekends).

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:34 PM

Another 10 story building proposed. That would make close to 40 buildings proposed (with renderings) or under construction in Nashville. There are another 10 or more being whispered about.

Not a lot is known about this one right now other than it will be a special hotel for creative types (Music Industry?) where like minds can meet and network and form new contacts. There is one proposed in Atlanta, also. It is not known where it would be other than somewhere in SoBro.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 8:52 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Another 10 story building proposed. That would make close to 40 buildings proposed (with renderings) or under construction in Nashville. There are another 10 or more being whispered about.
Incredible numbers. And to clarify for others, this is referring only to buildings that would actually require a crane (i.e. eight or nine stories plus). There are countless other projects around the city going on. And that's the most exciting part to me. When I say "around the city," I truly mean AROUND the city. The entire city of Nashville is booming. Unlike many cities which just have a trendy neighborhood here or there experiencing growth, there aren't many corners in the entire city of Nashville left that aren't experiencing the urban renaissance.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 5:56 AM

We knew about this one for a while, just had no rendering or schedule. Now we do.

They should break ground this fall. It will add four floors to the existing building and should push it up to close to 250'. This building looks to have 18' to 20' floor to floor heights which makes it tall for an eleven story building.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 3:09 PM

Not a tall building, but important in that it will be located on Rutledge Hill a few blocks south of downtown and should have an awesome view. Posters on UP are reporting that a construction trailer is now on-site and construction may be imminent.

More on it here...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 2:21 PM

It's getting ridiculous, but in a good way. I turn on the inter-tube machine this morning and there's this.....

We are getting the week started off just fine!

Just scroll up to the top this page to see what's been announced in the last two weeks!!!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:54 AM
Future God

Really excited about this project. It's just a relatively small forty room boutique hotel with restaurant space, but it's fantastic looking new construction done in a classic style, and it takes up a small parking lot downtown that has always particularly irked me.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...obro/71903378/

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 8:31 PM

The finished renderings for the proposed 222 2nd Avenue South Building in SoBro have been released.

An improvement over the previously released massing diagram, but still a glass box! Its location is shown in this sketch where the red building in the foreground is shown.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:22 PM

Paramount groundbreaking in Nov.

Groundbreaking expected mid-November for the city's new 2nd tallest but due to location on a rise downtown it may look like a new tallest.

Nashville Post
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...505_skyscraper

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:29 PM

October groundbreaking for 222 2nd Avenue South. Cost is roughly $100 million and tops out at 305ft.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2...bro_skyscraper

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 4:51 AM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:51 PM

I don't dislike the design of the H P Urban building. It is inline with their clean lines style of their proposed building for Church Street in mid-town. However, it is a continuation of square architecture for Nashville and at a quick glance at their website, I sure wish they would have considered something along the design of the Fairmont that they are proposing for Edmonton Alberta Canada. Even though it's a hotel, I could see it as a residential building. I'm not going to post the picture of the Fairmont because I don't want readers thinking it's a possible design for Nashville... LOL

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Looks like a game of Jenga in progress. Don't really like it much.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I don't dislike the design of the H P Urban building. It is inline with their clean lines style of their proposed building for Church Street in mid-town. However, it is a continuation of square architecture for Nashville and at a quick glance at their website, I sure wish they would have considered something along the design of the Fairmont that they are proposing for Edmonton Alberta Canada. Even though it's a hotel, I could see it as a residential building. I'm not going to post the picture of the Fairmont because I don't want readers thinking it's a possible design for Nashville... LOL

Apparently this is an unintentional release of an older rendering for a project that may or may not have legs. However, if there is any possibility this project becomes reality, it would represent a break from some of the glass boxes being proposed in that area. Not great, but a small step in the right direction.

Other proposals for the SoBro area (some are definitely not squarish, but still mostly unremarkable:

A 'social', networking hotel, construction dates and actual location to be announced later.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 12:51 PM

Tony reveals contractor for 505 CST

Looks like Tony is ready to get things underway for 505 CST...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...aper/72396140/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Looks like Tony is ready to get things underway for 505 CST...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...aper/72396140/

Of course I have my own crude take on the building's impact on the street.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 1:02 PM

Construction fencing going up for the Lennar Family's M-Residence in the Midtown/Music Row area.

M-Residence highlighted in yellow.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 1:18 PM

And fencing is going up around the site for the new Federal Courthouse. I thought the budget had to be passed first, but maybe the money is already approved.

I know how controversial this Michael Graves design is, but I felt a lot of that criticism originated with release of the original rendering, which even in my opinion was exceedingly crappy. However, the design was improved significantly with more asymmetry and relief on the facade. The scale of the building is a little disappointing, but in my opinion, I'm glad someone is taking a chance, architecturally, with the construction of a building from a noted (and recently deceased) architect like Michael Graves.

I believe it will eventually grow on people and be accepted as a quality addition to the downtown urban fabric.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Sep 23, 2015 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 1:49 PM

It's been a slow week, but in the public arts category....

....this, called "Stix", is being installed in the middle of the Korean Veterans Blvd. roundabout next to the southwest end of the Music City Center.

I think I like it and am imagining it in context with other buildings surrounding the roundabout. It should be appropriate for that location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations