HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The St. Regis Toronto & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 7:04 PM
gettin' rich!

They said by September, the full light show would begin.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 3:55 AM
gettin' rich!

They are replacing the mismatched glass on Trump

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 7:59 AM

This shot is one of my fave perspectives of Trump Tower. Too bad they had to scale back the height. I think this would have made a great tallest tower in the downtown core. Can only imagine how great it would have been lit up at the original planned height. I think the green glass is one of this towers best features. The onion dome is the perfect size. Something different! So welcome, in my opinion.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 1:39 PM
I am the law!

This PoS doesn't deserve to be among its neighbours let alone be the tallest of the bunch. C'mon! The green glass is one of the best features and the onion dome is the prefect size. Are you a salesperson for this project?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 1:55 PM

I don't dislike the glass, it's something different for the core. But the onion dome is by far the worst thing I've ever seen on a skyscraper. It's a hideous looking farce that should not have been permitted.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrumYid View Post
This shot is one of my fave perspectives of Trump Tower. Too bad they had to scale back the height. I think this would have made a great tallest tower in the downtown core. Can only imagine how great it would have been lit up at the original planned height. I think the green glass is one of this towers best features. The onion dome is the perfect size. Something different! So welcome, in my opinion.
I agree!

Too bad they didn't go with the hinted shade of stone to match the surrounding buildings either. Moreover, the original rendering suggested shadow boxes as opposed to the opaque junk we got instead.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
This PoS doesn't deserve to be among its neighbours let alone be the tallest of the bunch. C'mon! The green glass is one of the best features and the onion dome is the prefect size. Are you a salesperson for this project?
I have been a salesperson, but not for this project. I stand by my words. This is my favorite building going up in Toronto by a LONG shot. It looks great. When this thing is lit up, it is going to look amazing. Again, too bad about the height. Having said that, if anything ever tops FCP in the core, I hope and cross my fingers it will have a Canadian company`s logo on it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I agree!

Too bad they didn't go with the hinted shade of stone to match the surrounding buildings either. Moreover, the original rendering suggested shadow boxes as opposed to the opaque junk we got instead.
Honestly, I am glad it doesn`t match the surrounding buildings. It stands alone and still fits into the big picture. Best of all, it is like nothing I have seen before and might inspire some imagination for bigger and better things down the road.

We finally get a roof that isn`t a boring freakin`box, but a beautiful dome and spire (that is GONNA SHINE MAN!!!!!!!!!!), and so many here (not saying you) are pooping all over it.

Anyway, it`s great we all see things differently. Makes life exciting.

Somebody PLEASE come and build a SUPERTALL in TO!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
I don't dislike the glass, it's something different for the core. But the onion dome is by far the worst thing I've ever seen on a skyscraper. It's a hideous looking farce that should not have been permitted.
Hideous? You think it`s that bad?

I LOVE IT! (I really do).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 11:13 PM
gettin' rich!

Glass replacement

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrumYid View Post
Hideous? You think it`s that bad?

I LOVE IT! (I really do).
With regards to the quarter onion and pencil stuck on top I certainly do think it's that bad. I'm glad that it's hard to see that feature from most angles of the skyline. However, I do like the rest of the tower.
The top reminds me of the William Donald Schaefer building in Baltimore. Another building which, in my opinion, would look nice if it weren't for the 'thing' stuck on it's top. http://www.emporis.com/images/list/b...ltimore-md-usa

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
With regards to the quarter onion and pencil stuck on top I certainly do think it's that bad. I'm glad that it's hard to see that feature from most angles of the skyline. However, I do like the rest of the tower.
The top reminds me of the William Donald Schaefer building in Baltimore. Another building which, in my opinion, would look nice if it weren't for the 'thing' stuck on it's top. http://www.emporis.com/images/list/b...ltimore-md-usa
Thanks for the link. In my opinion, the top on that building in Baltimore is just plain ugly. It seems more an after thought than anything. I don`t see any comparison at all between the two. Guess we agree to disagree.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 9:25 PM

I'm not a fan of spires at the best of times, but accept occasionally they do work. For example the Chrysler building or Taipei 101. However, as you've correctly gathered, I deplore the monstrosity plonked onto Trump Toronto. It wouldn't have been so bad had they made a proper full dome with a decent looking spire. Unfortunately they didn't, and we're stuck looking at this one-finger salute from the Trump to the rest of Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 2:28 AM
gettin' rich!

By me

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 7:07 AM
The New Republic

Trump may not adhere to people's strict modernist notion of what a skyscraper must look like, but it looks good in our skyline. It's a little kitschy, but so what. At least it's not another boring Bay-Adelaide.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Trump may not adhere to people's strict modernist notion of what a skyscraper must look like, but it looks good in our skyline. It's a little kitschy, but so what. At least it's not another boring Bay-Adelaide.
Agreed.

Another boring Bay-Adelaide on the way. Unless they make the colour of its glass red, or something like that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:20 PM
gettin' rich!

This tower is soo Dubai!

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...d=1#post660397

From SomeMidTower at UT

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
This tower is soo Dubai!

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...d=1#post660397

From SomeMidTower at UT
Love this side of Trump as well.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 10:41 PM
gettin' rich!

I'm gonna do a serious blog entry on Trump soon.

Another 2 months and this one is fully complete.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 8:46 PM
gettin' rich!

By me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive