HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post

This is the paving I saw - anyone know why they would have paved this so early?
The photo caption says its for a detour.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I think he's talking about those seemingly random patches of mainline that are paved that would not be for a detour. Could be any number of reasons, not quite sure...
Correct - I can't think of a reason.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
They do that all over the place. it probably helps with erosion control, and if they have the asphalt and equipment sitting around you might as well.

Theres a random patch done just east of the macleod overpass too.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Huh? If a section is complete, why wouldn't they pave it?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Huh? If a section is complete, why wouldn't they pave it?
I'm sure there are plenty of sections that are 'complete', other than paving, but it would make more sense to me that they would do long stretches at a time rather than bringing in a load of equipment just to do a tiny portion, which is why I'm curious here. The erosion control reason sounds reasonable - it's also curious to me because that particular interchange looks more complete than the others and I speculate will be in use sooner as the new detour route.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:48 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of sections that are 'complete', other than paving, but it would make more sense to me that they would do long stretches at a time rather than bringing in a load of equipment just to do a tiny portion, which is why I'm curious here. The erosion control reason sounds reasonable - it's also curious to me because that particular interchange looks more complete than the others and I speculate will be in use sooner as the new detour route.
Send them an email.

They've responded to everything I've asked of them within 24 hours.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 6:49 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
My initial guess would have been to test the pavement or something along those line, before they went full ahead with paving in a couple of years. But the erosion control might be a reason now that I see it suggested. Or more likely IMHO it provides a place out of the mud to store equipment, stage things etc.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 2:32 AM

Another reason, perhaps; the residents around there are complaining about dust a lot. If you have the road, you eliminate the dust. Wild speculation though and any or a combination of the other theories may be right.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:13 PM

I know I asked this last year but is there still no plans to address the fact that there are only 2 east bound lanes across the Glenmore causeway? I could see a large increase in traffic from the deep south Bridlewood area heading east bound on Glenmore trying to skip the MacLeod trail?

In my opinion it was a serious mistake not creating 3 east bound lanes because in the mornings there is always 1 lane entirely backed up due to the merging from Crowschild, so really there is only 1 "free flowing" east bound lane. And now that Glenmore West of the lake will be 3 lanes, it seems really ridiculous to go from 3 lanes to a bottleneck of 2 lanes back to 3 lanes.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:47 PM

Do people think opening the SWRR will increase or decrease demand on the causeway? To me it seems the causeway should be relieved as it will provide an alternative where there may only be one option today. Every time there is a disaster on Glenmore today, even if you are aware of it before hand you have no choice but to take Glenmore anyway and add to the disaster, but with Stoney open many might be able to decide on a different route.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:54 AM

SW Ring Road continuing south past 22X

Does anyone know what the plan is to connect/continue the SW ring road south past 22x to eventually connect to the QE2? I can no longer find it but I swear at the Open houses before the first Tsuu Tina vote in 2009 they had a TBD arrow that ended just south of where the SW ring road connected to 22X to indicate future possibilities.

I am thinking that it probably makes more sense to eventually designate Macleod Trail (2A) as the connector if it ever gets rid of all its lights south of 22X and becomes free flow. It is quite a route for someone heading south to travel so far east to Deerfoot/QE2 if their eventual destination is south of the City and they want to stay on a free flow highway.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary1 View Post
Does anyone know what the plan is to connect/continue the SW ring road south past 22x to eventually connect to the QE2? I can no longer find it but I swear at the Open houses before the first Tsuu Tina vote in 2009 they had a TBD arrow that ended just south of where the SW ring road connected to 22X to indicate future possibilities.

I am thinking that it probably makes more sense to eventually designate Macleod Trail (2A) as the connector if it ever gets rid of all its lights south of 22X and becomes free flow. It is quite a route for someone heading south to travel so far east to Deerfoot/QE2 if their eventual destination is south of the City and they want to stay on a free flow highway.
Not really sure what you mean. The current SE Ring road intersects Deerfoot and the NE ring road intersects Deerfoot/QE2 up north. Not sure SW ring road would ever come close to the QE2.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
Not really sure what you mean. The current SE Ring road intersects Deerfoot and the NE ring road intersects Deerfoot/QE2 up north. Not sure SW ring road would ever come close to the QE2.
I think they mean having an offshoot of Stoney in the far west that would keep going south and eventually hookup with Highway 2. If Macleod Trail isn't made freeflow such an extension would make sense.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:06 PM
YYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary1 View Post

I have a photo somewhere, i do remeber it offshooting at the bend and continuing south, there is also another off shoot at the NE corner, thats why the bend has the large median, for a future NE facing expressway.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 10:14 PM

SW Ring Road continuing south past 22X

Thanks everyone for their thoughts about it. I agree with Acey that if Macleod Trail is freeflow and 5 lanes in each direction and 100Km/hr or 110 km/hr in the future there is likely no need for the SW ring road to continue south in a dedicated 10+ lane highway to meet highway 2.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 5:05 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
They're also making a RIRO at Stoney/60 Ave NE which I don't think anybody's mentioned. Looks like it'll open in reasonably short order. Probably don't need that bridge for a while.
That's just north of the McKnight interchange and looks to be way to close by Alberta Transportations standards. I'm assuming you meant 60 Street, which is definitely where they have been doing some work for some time now. I haven't been that way since summer (funny how not having kids in hockey anymore change your driving patterns ) but it doesn't surprise me to hear it is almost done. The one thing that has impressed me about Stoney is how it has been 'future proofed' for the most part during initial construction which makes upgrades relatively quick to build.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 7:55 PM

Ok, I'll ask. What does RIRO stand for?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 8:11 PM
Near Generational

Right in, Right out

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Ok, I'll ask. What does RIRO stand for?
Right In Right Out

Basically you can exit or enter the highway/road only

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 8:47 PM

Does anyone know if this was implemented last week?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure