HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
If any of those are Chinese funded, they may not be built this cycle. Chinese funds have really dried up in recent months as many have observed. The Canadians are still there.
These are not Chinese funded projects.

I think it's great that others get a chance now (like new proposals suggest).
The only thing that worries me is the trade war (tariffs on steel and aluminum) with China and Co., but we will see how that works out.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
These are not Chinese funded projects.

I think it's great that others get a chance now (like new proposals suggest).
The only thing that worries me is the trade war (tariffs on steel and aluminum) with China and Co., but we will see how that works out.
This post didn't age well....

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1195

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 4:37 PM

mmmmm....don't someone say cheeeseee?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:22 PM

Does anyone know what is being built on Vermont at Leighton Ave across from the Lucas Museum in Exposition Park?

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
The trade war worries me a bit, but it is not the problem here.
China's new rules on overseas investment are crucial. Seattle can sing a song about it.

Another big problem: Luxury condos don't sell fast enough for companies like Greenland because Chinese property developers are in a debt refinance push.
That's why companies are not that optimistic and investments will slow (not stop) on tighter financing. There are still active Chinese developers like the "Shenzhen New World Group", but they won't dominate our development and future.

It's a great chance for other countries and companies. Chinese investments are not the solution for our housing problem (some argue that they make it worse).
I explained that a couple of months ago. Just take a look at Sydney were Chinese investors were pushing up housing prices for residents.

There are fresh big players in the market like all these new proposals reveal. They don't have to compete against Goliath anymore. Even China spoke about "irrational capital outflows".

That's why some people here were misled. The end of the Chinese investment boom is not the end of the cycle. It's a transition and (if you want) the real beginning.

Last edited by black_crow; Jul 18, 2018 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
The trade war worries me a bit, but it is not the problem here.
China's new rules on overseas investment are crucial. Seattle can sing a song about it.

Another big problem: Luxury condos don't sell fast enough for companies like Greenland because Chinese property developers are in a debt refinance push.
That's why companies are not that optimistic and investments will slow (not stop) on tighter financing. There are still active Chinese developers like the "Shenzhen New World Group", but they won't dominate our development and future.

It's a great chance for other countries and companies. Chinese investments are not the solution for our housing problem (some argue that they make it worse).
I explained that a couple of months ago. Just take a look at Sydney were Chinese investors were pushing up housing prices for residents.

There are fresh big players in the market like all these new proposals reveal. They don't have to compete against Goliath anymore. Even China spoke about "irrational capital outflows".

That's why some people here were misled. The end of the Chinese investment boom is not the end of the cycle. It's a transition and (if you want) the real beginning.
Well, they said that the lull wouldn't last in the early 1990s when the Japanese capital influx ended when the Tokyo stock market crashed in 1990. But basically DTLA skyscraper construction went into a lull for a decade or more after the Japanese pulled out. So the end or at least slowdown of Chinese funds will matter. Also the slowdown of Chinese buyers of condos will matter. Higher construction costs because of tariffs on steel and aluminum may matter too. So I hope you are right and the cycle is just shifting, but maybe this slowdown will last. But L.A. does have a severe shortage of housing, so maybe we can transition to a cycle of affordable units? Thankfully the Koreans and Canadians are still in there building. And the runup to the '28 Olympics could keep things chugging hopefully. Would be nice to get a couple more supertalls, and several more 600-900 footers. Hope Angel's Flight and the supertall on North Fig near 4th get built.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 19, 2018 at 10:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Well, they said that the lull wouldn't last in the early 1990s when the Japanese capital influx ended when the Tokyo stock market crashed in 1990. But basically DTLA skyscraper construction went into a lull for a decade or more after the Japanese pulled out. So the end or at least slowdown of Chinese funds will matter. Also the slowdown of Chinese buyers of condos will matter. Higher construction costs because of tariffs on steel and aluminum may matter too. So I hope you are right and the cycle is just shifting, but maybe this slowdown will last. But L.A. does have a severe shortage of housing, so maybe we can transition to a cycle of affordable units? Thankfully the Koreans and Canadians are still in there building. And the runup to the '28 Olympics could keep things chugging hopefully. Would be nice to get a couple more supertalls, and several more 600-900 footers. Hope Angel's Flight and the supertall on North Fig near 4th get built.
Agreed.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
So I hope you are right and the cycle is just shifting, but maybe this slowdown will last. But L.A. does have a severe shortage of housing, so maybe we can transition to a cycle of affordable units?
We would need to make it easier for developers to construct housing that includes affordable units. LA's density bonus program isn't creating enough affordable units. Another problem is that residents have too many ways to oppose housing, L.A. is a very tough market.

..and developers have to pay even more and more fees. One example is the increased "Park Fee".

We will see more construction, we will see more skyscrapers and different investors, but it's a very long way.
I don't think we will end our housing crisis over the next couple of decades but I hope we can slow it down.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:50 PM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BairestoLA View Post
Sad to see another LA theater repurposed for commercial use instead of renovated for the stage. I guess we should just be thankful the structure is being saved.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:33 PM

Awesome news about the Apple store. Hopefully it will become a harbinger for others that broadway and downtown in general is the place to be in terms of investment. After all, it is the most valuable company in the world. Would love to see Broadway get cleaned up and restored! So much potential.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Sad to see another LA theater repurposed for commercial use instead of renovated for the stage. I guess we should just be thankful the structure is being saved.
How many stages do you think DTLA and technically the metro LA really needs? This is one of the best uses in today's era. I totally disagree, this isn't sad at all.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
How many stages do you think DTLA and technically the metro LA really needs? This is one of the best uses in today's era. I totally disagree, this isn't sad at all.
In recent years, many Hollywood actors have taken the stage in NYC on Broadway.

I dont understand why Los Angeles has such a small theater scene in comparison, even though its more convenient to these actors.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 9:36 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I think the preferred use for any of the Broadway theaters would be for their original uses (entertainment in the form of film or live performances). But if one had to choose between a property sitting derelict indefinitely or becoming a retail store in the short term, the latter is certainly more desirable. That being said, now that both the Tower and Million Dollar Theaters have/are converting over to retail use, I kind of agree with Prahaboheme that every effort should be made to keep the remaining theaters as some sort of entertainment venue. But I would not be short-sighted in that approach and condemn, say, the State Theater to no use for 20 more years just to avoid another conversion, as long as that conversion maintains the historic character and details of the space.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
In recent years, many Hollywood actors have taken the stage in NYC on Broadway.

I dont understand why Los Angeles has such a small theater scene in comparison, even though its more convenient to these actors.
To my knowledge Theater has always been big in NYC...where film/television has been big in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I think the preferred use for any of the Broadway theaters would be for their original uses (entertainment in the form of film or live performances). But if one had to choose between a property sitting derelict indefinitely or becoming a retail store in the short term, the latter is certainly more desirable. That being said, now that both the Tower and Million Dollar Theaters have/are converting over to retail use, I kind of agree with Prahaboheme that every effort should be made to keep the remaining theaters as some sort of entertainment venue. But I would not be short-sighted in that approach and condemn, say, the State Theater to no use for 20 more years just to avoid another conversion, as long as that conversion maintains the historic character and details of the space.
I totally agree.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 1:40 AM

Capital One Cafe Helps Complete 8th/Grand in Downtown LA

http://brighamyen.com/2018/07/19/cap...n-downtown-la/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 1:43 AM

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Let's agree to totally disagree

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
This is all I was saying. I am not opposed to a repurposing, to save a structure. I do wish that these theaters were saved for their original purpose. This is hardly a controversial position - who wouldn't prefer a grand old theater instead of an Apple store?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 4:06 AM

I also prefer those Broadway theaters remain theaters. But an Apple store is definitely better than a church.

I was horrified (and so were many others) when the old historic Rialto Theater in South Pasadena was leased to a "modern hipster" church called Mosaic recently. Churches are such wastes of real estate. I was hoping it would be bought by the American Cinematheque or something, and restored to its former glory, and used for live entertainment and films, and special events.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations