HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:40 PM

October HRC is up. As is usually the case, it's mostly small residential projects. A few larger items though.

1. citySTUDIO is working on a conversion of 1304 Manhattan St. into loft apartments. They want to remove the existing stained glass windows from the rear of the building and replace them with operable glass/wood windows however, which is a big change for a structure with historic protection. I could see that being difficult to clear the commission.

2. Further revisions to the planned PAA rehab into office space - probably required modifications by the HRC. It looks like the revisions focus on changing the front stair entry and revising the side setback.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:41 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Eschaton, that would be a neat idea to link the two business corridors via Ellsworth. I, too, share the same concern that the people on Emerson would object/reject such a proposal. It looks like there's a warehouse on the one side of the Emerson St. corridor (which has the dumpsters fronting Ellsworth). If anything, I could see those houses being repurposed for botique shops or bed/breakfast type uses.

BrianTH, it would be nice to see that strip mall replaced with something that would connect the urban fabric of Bakery Square with the rest of East. Liberty. I love the idea of underground parking, but I'm sure such a development will not be cheap. If you're going to have parking accommodate both commercial and residential uses I would think two levels would be necessary depending on the scope of the project. Then again, the East Liberty transit center is just a block away. One level would likely be more than sufficient given that.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 3:51 PM

Last week I attended a reception at the Union Trust Building hosted by the Davis Companies. I talked to a Davis Companies executive who confirmed that the Cultural District project between his employer, the Cultural Trust and the Parking Authority is not dead. Talks continue to resolve the outstanding issue. And he guessed that the PPA announcement that it would proceed alone with demolition and reconstruction of the parking facility might well have been to spur the CT to compromise a bit more.

The reception included a presentation about The Davis Companies efforts to restore the Union Trust Building. I was surprised to learn what bad shape that the building was in---and hadn't realized that buying a property through a sheriff's sale precluded any due diligence to assess the condition of the building.

Also got a tour of the soon-to-open second and third floors of the Market Street Grocery---second will be customer seating and the third an event space---and former Weldin’s on Wood, which is opening this fall as a new women’s clothing store.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Eschaton, that would be a neat idea to link the two business corridors via Ellsworth. I, too, share the same concern that the people on Emerson would object/reject such a proposal. It looks like there's a warehouse on the one side of the Emerson St. corridor (which has the dumpsters fronting Ellsworth). If anything, I could see those houses being repurposed for botique shops or bed/breakfast type uses.
I believe that warehouse is the primary location that is used by Casbah and Mad Mex for valet parking. That whole block back there is a weird mixed-use mess considering it's technically zoned for attached single-family houses though. It has a modern townhouse infill project on its southern side, then a single detached house, an auto mechanic, set of five tiny detached frame houses, a brand-spanking new mini-apartment building, and then the warehouse/garage (plus whatever the building fronting on Ellsworth actually is). So about half of the land area of the block is non-conforming uses anyway.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:39 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I believe that warehouse is the primary location that is used by Casbah and Mad Mex for valet parking. That whole block back there is a weird mixed-use mess considering it's technically zoned for attached single-family houses though. It has a modern townhouse infill project on its southern side, then a single detached house, an auto mechanic, set of five tiny detached frame houses, a brand-spanking new mini-apartment building, and then the warehouse/garage (plus whatever the building fronting on Ellsworth actually is). So about half of the land area of the block is non-conforming uses anyway.
It looks like those tiny infill detached houses are relatively new or at the very least remodeled or renovated. The rest of that commercial activity looks out of place. That auto place looks like it's in a re-purposed church (gee, never seen that before). It would be nice to see that block re-purposed so that #1 it conforms with zoning and #2, adds overall value.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I love the idea of underground parking, but I'm sure such a development will not be cheap. If you're going to have parking accommodate both commercial and residential uses I would think two levels would be necessary depending on the scope of the project.
Just idle musing, but I would hope if there was a new road involved (and maybe a bridge), they could cobble together some city, state, and maybe federal funding.

I'm also imagining something similar to the East Liberty Transit Center where from the Busway it looks like a parking structure, but from the development it looks more like underground parking. I understand that really saved on costs versus true underground parking--basically it was more just like having a parking podium.

Because the Shady and Penn intersection is already elevated so Penn can pass over the Busway, to me it looks like you could pretty easily just smoothly extend Shady across Penn and have a couple levels of parking underneath. Eventually you would have to ramp down to reach East Liberty Boulevard, which passes under the Busway. But just eyeballing it from the Busway, I think you could take it until about the back of the Staples or so before you could ramp down at a reasonable grade.

Last edited by BrianTH; Sep 24, 2018 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 11:27 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
October HRC is up. As is usually the case, it's mostly small residential projects. A few larger items though.

1. citySTUDIO is working on a conversion of 1304 Manhattan St. into loft apartments. They want to remove the existing stained glass windows from the rear of the building and replace them with operable glass/wood windows however, which is a big change for a structure with historic protection. I could see that being difficult to clear the commission.

2. Further revisions to the planned PAA rehab into office space - probably required modifications by the HRC. It looks like the revisions focus on changing the front stair entry and revising the side setback.
Just reviewed that PDF, I can't believe they're taking out the stained glass windows from that awesome super old church in Manchester and replacing it with Shit normal windows. At least someone's doing something with it though, it's been abandoned for a decade or more and it was probably built in the 1850s-60s or so. I can only hope those windows will be on display somewhere and preserved. Wish they could keep the windows in situ.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Just reviewed that PDF, I can't believe they're taking out the stained glass windows from that awesome super old church in Manchester and replacing it with Shit normal windows. At least someone's doing something with it though, it's been abandoned for a decade or more and it was probably built in the 1850s-60s or so. I can only hope those windows will be on display somewhere and preserved. Wish they could keep the windows in situ.
I mean, they are on an internal wall. Theoretically if that interior surface lot ever fills in again they won't be visible from the street anyway (that's the key with these developments - you can get away with changes not visible from the street). And some sort of operable windows in an apartment/condo building is arguably a necessity.

Of course, it's a big marring of a historic structure all the same. It's a tough call. That's not the still dangerous/blighted portion of Manchester though, since it's south of Decatur. I have to believe that redevelopment with the original windows will eventually become economically feasible.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 12:55 PM

Penn-Rose apartment conversion in the Strip District (72 units) now fully leased 4-5 months after the end of construction. In the next 4-5 weeks a companion 55-60 stall parking garage is slated to begin construction next door. Although honestly, considering
the units leased without the garage, it's probably not needed. Zoning is undoubtedly requiring it get built however.

Also, it looks like the Cultural Trust has firmed up the movie theater in the former Bally's on Sixth Street. No word on if anyone's partnering with the Trust, but the project is $11-$12 million in cost, and will take 2-3 years to complete.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Also, it looks like the Cultural Trust has firmed up the movie theater in the former Bally's on Sixth Street. No word on if anyone's partnering with the Trust, but the project is $11-$12 million in cost, and will take 2-3 years to complete.
Last week there was a report (I think in the PBT) that Mark Cuban's group was out of contention and Bow Tie Cinemas was the likely partner.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:08 AM

Those are all WAY better than I expected. Particularly Oakland and Shadyside.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:12 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, if that's what we actually get in Oakland, that will be pretty amazing

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:10 PM

I agree with Mr. Tucker-Hill, the Oakland and Baum-Centre hospitals are better from an architectural standpoint than I expected.

That said, I am reminded once again how hospitals almost never take the principles of urban design into account. These buildings seem to be designed for an office park/corporate campus style setup, not a dense urban neighborhood.

Honestly, while less impressive from an architectural standpoint, the Uptown one is the only design which really gives off an "urban" vibe, insofar as it actually fronts directly on Locust Street rather than being set back with a large, setback full of useless greenery.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
Last week I attended a reception at the Union Trust Building hosted by the Davis Companies. I talked to a Davis Companies executive who confirmed that the Cultural District project between his employer, the Cultural Trust and the Parking Authority is not dead. Talks continue to resolve the outstanding issue. And he guessed that the PPA announcement that it would proceed alone with demolition and reconstruction of the parking facility might well have been to spur the CT to compromise a bit more.

The reception included a presentation about The Davis Companies efforts to restore the Union Trust Building. I was surprised to learn what bad shape that the building was in---and hadn't realized that buying a property through a sheriff's sale precluded any due diligence to assess the condition of the building.
I attended this event as well and loved hearing stories from people who remember the "old" Union Trust Building from many years ago.

I also had the chance to see the theater and the vault in the basement for the first time. It's definitely one of my favorite buildings in the city.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
Last week there was a report (I think in the PBT) that Mark Cuban's group was out of contention and Bow Tie Cinemas was the likely partner.
That is also mentioned in this article.

Quote:
McMahon said potential operators include Rick Stern, owner of the Manor Theatre in Squirrel Hill, and New York-based Bow Tie Cinemas. He said the Trust doesn’t have a definitive arrangement with any operator yet, and that details of the theater will depend on who partners with the Trust.

He ruled out speculation that Landmark Theatres, owned by Mt. Lebanon native and investor Mark Cuban, might be interested in partnering with the Trust for the project.

“They don’t do this. We’re a very small, localized operator,” he said.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:27 PM

That Oakland hospital will be on the grounds of the old Childrens Hospital. Is that going to be an expansion of UPMC Presby or will that Heart and Transplant Center be its own stand-alone unit?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:21 PM

New ZBA up for 10/18. New business:

1. New retail establishment coming to Lowrie Street in Troy Hill (they already fixed the storefront the last time the Google Car came around)

2. An attempt to convert a legal seven unit in Allegheny West into an eight unit (with no offstreet parking). The building now is ugly as sin - one of the worst remuddles in Allegheny West - so I hope it goes to the HRC for some restoration as well.

3. Ten new townhouses on 37th Street in Lower Lawrenceville near Penn Avenue (here). The area is technically zoned park, even though it's privately held. Not sure the history here.

4. New infill house on vacant lot in Central Lawrenceville (here)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Scotty View Post
I attended this event as well and loved hearing stories from people who remember the "old" Union Trust Building from many years ago.

I also had the chance to see the theater and the vault in the basement for the first time. It's definitely one of my favorite buildings in the city.
Agreed---a spectacular building. And nice to hear that the new restaurant coming to the building will use at least one of the two basement vaults as a private dining room. To accommodate the needed table and chairs, I was told that the safe deposit boxes in the center of the vault will be removed and displayed elsewhere in the building.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
That said, I am reminded once again how hospitals almost never take the principles of urban design into account. These buildings seem to be designed for an office park/corporate campus style setup, not a dense urban neighborhood.

Honestly, while less impressive from an architectural standpoint, the Uptown one is the only design which really gives off an "urban" vibe, insofar as it actually fronts directly on Locust Street rather than being set back with a large, setback full of useless greenery.
Yep.

I guess my point is if they are going to be urban dead zones, they might as well be PRETTY urban dead zones.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations