HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Read back through this thread, and you will see the roundabout mentioned.
Hickman is referring only to the roundabout, when he says he hopes to see it finished this year. That would be a city project, and has been on the books for a while. It includes a re-routing of Blackmarsh Road.

Not to be a pessimist, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either, if last years work on Blackmarsh Road is any indication.

I dunno...reading the article it sounds like he was referring to more than just the roundabout..

"A St. John's city councillor hopes that an early tender for paving of the Gushue Highway Extension to the west end will lead to completion by fall.

Councillor Sandy Hickman sees the extension as an important project which serves a large number of people."

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Read back through this thread, and you will see the roundabout mentioned.
Hickman is referring only to the roundabout, when he says he hopes to see it finished this year. That would be a city project, and has been on the books for a while. It includes a re-routing of Blackmarsh Road.

Not to be a pessimist, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either, if last years work on Blackmarsh Road is any indication.

I posted the diagram on May25, 2016 on page 43 of this forum. Also the roundabout on that diagram was labelled "by others" and we assumed that to the city that meant being done by the Govt.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I posted the diagram on May25, 2016 on page 43 of this forum. Also the roundabout on that diagram was labelled "by others" and we assumed that to the city that meant being done by the Govt.

[/URL][/QUOTE]

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 12:10 PM

At this point, I'm not holding my breath on any news regarding the Team Gushue Highway. A concrete median with lights, pavement, guard rails, signage, interchanges, roundabouts? All completed this year? Come on people. LOL

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
At this point, I'm not holding my breath on any news regarding the Team Gushue Highway. A concrete median with lights, pavement, guard rails, signage, interchanges, roundabouts? All completed this year? Come on people. LOL
All I'm looking for this year is meaningful movement. If that can be achieved I will be happy. Seeing next to nothing being done year after year has gone on way too long.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
I took it the opposite way, in that the diagram/schematic is a Dept. of Transportation drawing, and "by others" meant the city. Was it not also discussed in a council meeting way back somewhere in this thread? Could be wrong.

In any case, let's hope someone gets off their asses this year.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
I took it the opposite way, in that the diagram/schematic is a Dept. of Transportation drawing, and "by others" meant the city. Was it not also discussed in a council meeting way back somewhere in this thread? Could be wrong.

In any case, let's hope someone gets off their asses this year.

These charts are from the City's meeting about the Blackmarsh Rd watermain project and when I asked the facilitator who 'others' were, she said Prov Govt.

There was some 'grubbing' done last year where the roundabout is to be, but no sign of any work since. I think they decided to do the watermain progrect and that put a stop to any other roadwork in the area, including TGH. I'm not sure they actually finished the watermain project before the winter set-in, there's still equipment on site and perhaps some work to do at the eastern end of the project on Empire.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
These charts are from the City's meeting about the Blackmarsh Rd watermain project and when I asked the facilitator who 'others' were, she said Prov Govt.

There was some 'grubbing' done last year where the roundabout is to be, but no sign of any work since. I think they decided to do the watermain progrect and that put a stop to any other roadwork in the area, including TGH. I'm not sure they actually finished the watermain project before the winter set-in, there's still equipment on site and perhaps some work to do at the eastern end of the project on Empire.
You're right. I found the relative city meeting minutes from July 2, 2014.

The confusion arises because it was the city who struck a committee to study a roundabout.
Here is the relevant excerpt:

Blackmarsh Road and Team Gushue Highway Extension

Road
Realignments

Delegation from City’s Construction Engineering Division.
The Committee Mr. Scott Winsor who gave a presentation outlining options for the
design of the intersections at
Empire Avenue and Georges Pond Road with Blackmarsh
Road.
Three Options tabled for consideration were:

Option 1

2 Way Stop Controlled intersec
tion

Option 2

Signalized Intersection

Option 3

Roundabout
Based on a Level of Service (LOS) Analysis, option 3 is the preferred choice
Recommendation
On a motion put forth by Councillor Puddister, the Committee recommends
approval of a roundabout design for the intersections at Empire Avenue and
Georges Pond Road with Blackmarsh Road and that Hatch, Mott and McDonald
be requested to proceed with the detailed design package to be used for
construction by the Province.

cheers,

JJ

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:05 PM

Finally, something smart.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 8:40 PM

So, just saw this on Gov't website. Maybe there's hope yet to see TGH finished by 2020
===================

Tender 004-16TSB
Description:

Construction of a 38 meter six lane single span prestressed concrete girder overpass on Team Gushue Highway over Topsail Road. This project will be jointly funded by both levels of government under the Building Canada Fund & carried out by the Government of Newfoundland & Labrador. Purchase Price $45.20

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
So, just saw this on Gov't website. Maybe there's hope yet to see TGH finished by 2020
===================

Tender 004-16TSB
Description:

Construction of a 38 meter six lane single span prestressed concrete girder overpass on Team Gushue Highway over Topsail Road. This project will be jointly funded by both levels of government under the Building Canada Fund & carried out by the Government of Newfoundland & Labrador. Purchase Price $45.20
Brad Gushue won the Olympic Gold Medal and the government named a highway after him and the team. Now that he's won the Brier the government should honour them by FINISHING the highway that has his name.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
===================

Tender 004-16TSB
Description:

Six lane single span? interesting...

So basically like the Kenmount/Topsail overpass in Paradise but even bigger?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Brad Gushue won the Olympic Gold Medal and the government named a highway after him and the team. Now that he's won the Brier the government should honour them by FINISHING the highway that has his name.
Yes and hopefully the section that is finished gets some much needed re-surfacing. That section of TGH is atrocious!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:18 PM

$3 Billion in infrastructure spending over next 5 years:

http://vocm.com/news/3-billion-in-in...ing-announced/

of that $688.2 million is for "Transportation Infrastrcture"

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:31 PM

Re-announced $21 M for TGH as part of that money. Last year's budget had $23 M , with very little if any spent this budget year so all they've done is re-announce the $21 M.

The just-announced new overpass at Topsail Rd and the in-tender underpass at Sobey's Sq will probably take half of that $21 M. The announcement said "$ 21.2 M to ADVANCE construction of TGH" so this money won't finish the road as designed.

Let's hope they get on-the-go ASAP and get this thing finished.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:49 PM

Team Gushue Extension

Some info I found published regarding spanning the Waterford River.

Not sure of date of publication on this or if it is current?

http://www.recocanada.com/ta/wRECO_e...way-extension-

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:20 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Some info I found published regarding spanning the Waterford River.

Not sure of date of publication on this or if it is current?

http://www.recocanada.com/ta/wRECO_e...way-extension-

They said crossing the Waterford is a "major challenge", at 10 meters wide. Sadly, with "challenges" like that, this might never be finished.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:45 PM

That part of the project was completed some time ago, perhaps 4 years. Other than some roadbed work and the Waterford river crossing, there's been no activity south of Topsail Road. There's still an overpass to do at Brookfield Road and lots of roadwork at the Commonwealth/Brookfield/Pitts interface. Some reports suggest that the Gov't still hasn't bought all the land needed for the project.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Yes and hopefully the section that is finished gets some much needed re-surfacing. That section of TGH is atrocious!
Absolutely. It's a minefield of potholes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...hole-1.4035620

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:40 PM

Just happened upon this. Apparently Metrobus is getting at least 3 new vehicles, Vicinity buses from B.C. manufacturer Grand West Transportation. These smaller buses might be a good fit for St. John's. http://grandewest.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's