HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I have to say that building on the left (is it NAIT?) is one of my favourite buildings in Edmonton..
That's Grant MacEwan University.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 8:50 PM
Community Guy

MacEwan University... they dropped the Grant.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 8:55 PM

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Ahem.

Stantec Tower does not have the COE in it, the COE Tower up the block does. This tower is for the world HQ of Stantec, a massive engineering/consulting firm that is innovative and yet conservative. This isn't about creating an architectural starchitect wonder, but rather a 251m new tallest outside of Toronto tower that is a new beacon for Edmonton, our Downtown and corporate community. Keep in mind that the top half is a residential component as well.
My mistake. I should have said the development as a whole.

The point is though that it's a testament to the strength of the market.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 12:42 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post

And what are the chances the next tall building will actually be architecturally significant?

Mississauga was unremarkable in terms of highrises, but then came along the Marilyn Towers. Was that supposed to be a catalyst for more interesting designs? Because what has been built since is nothing out of the ordinary, no? However, M City appears to be changing that.
I'm leaving out most of your quote since I can't answer much from Edmonton...but by pure economics, I can say for the first question that (going by a tall building as 200+ m for Edmonton....which is pretty high mind you) that their isn't a great chance it'll be a very architecturally stunning building. Maybe in a few years with an upward housing market that could justify higher prices for condos and office space you could see a better design with notable features come, but just as well, you never truly know what could happen. What I mean by this is that there's a chance for something BIG to happen.....kind of like the Ice District, which quashed the many doubts Edmonton could be building as tall (and much arguably) as it had been years previously.

As for Missingsausage...those twisty towers were part of a design contest, but as far as I'm concerned, it wasn't a catalyst for better designs in a broad sense of things. It was a catalyst in some ways I suppose...for the designs we see on this project. Then again, higher condominium prices can justify a design with this much irregularity to it. (Hell....it isn't that great of a design really....but still) Anyways, as of late the 'Sausage has built a few towers, all of which are unremarkable. The Arc at Erin Mills is the most unique of the bunch, and that thing looks half baked as a design just as well. (Honestly, M City isn't changing the trajectory of architecture in Missingsausage by much, but it does in terms of reference points for the city, like the twisty towers are.....a lot more turds are coming, which is good in some ways)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
There can be a significant cost in implementing a "good" design. The leasing market in Edmonton likely doesn't justify the extra $100/sf + in construction costs to go from a Stantec to something like The Bow in Calgary. Some of Calgary's best were built at the height of the oil boom. When vacancy is below 2% and your building is likely fully leased before it's even above ground, you can charge the rents that justify some added flare in the design.

Stantec Tower had to get the City of Edmonton to basically subsidize the project by signing on as an anchor tenant.
There was no subsidy for this project. It was a pure business deal for the city which is generating quite a bit of new construction.

Let me share........

Regarding taxpayers paying for the Edmonton area. This is all part of public record:

Cost of the arena is $480 million, $130 million paid by the Katz Group, $125 million paid for by a ticket tax on all tickets sold at the venue and $200 million from the City and $25 million from other levels of government for the second ice surface/community rink to be used for the public and nearby university. The City's portion will be paid via a Community Revitalization Zone Levy (CRL) and other extra revenue like parking. Note that there was no tax rate increase in order to pay for any part of the arena.

The philosophy behind the CRL program is:

Major revitalization projects attract and increase local activity, investment and development. Economic growth creates additional tax revenue for all orders of government. Additional municipal and provincial property taxes from the economic growth will help fund the original project.

The amount of new tax revenue that the lands in and around the arena will make for the City on an annual basis, FAR exceeds the $200 million that the City has seeded into this project. There is currently over $2.5 billion in construction going on in the Arena district itself including a 56 floor hotel and residences, 66 floor office/condo (might be as high as 70), a 29 floor office and other retail businesses including a grocer, movie theater complex, restaurants, bars, etc. This district has fast forwarded many new condo high rises that have been announced since the arena was started and would not have existed without the new arena.

The CRL funding forecasts are based on only 40% of the growth predicted in Rollo’s conservative model, and still the CRL was calculated to generate, in net present value, $473 million in new taxes over 20 years.

So how investing $200 million in this multi billion district, getting almost $500 million in new taxation revenue (maybe more) AND revitalizing the city's downtown at the same time is not bad deal.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
This is from a few months ago but it shows the construction along Yonge Street's newest condo canyon quite well. In 3 years this area will be absolutely unrecognizable:

And zero of those buildings belonged in the top 10

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I grabbed those images from the One Yonge 307m thread. And there were a few comments on there talking about it like it's u/c. I assumed though they are just lumping the entire project under the One Yonge name.
There wasnt any .... but if you thought there was ...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 9:34 AM

Stantec tower is the world corporate head quarters, and leases about the first 24 stories. 31 and up is residential. Of note Stantec will start moving staff in about 2 weeks. The crane will still be up while staff and other tenants move in. Residential is about a year away from opening. Stay tuned there is a media event today to show off the new digs . I can say it looks pretty good.

https://edmontonjournal.com/business...ss-leaders-say

Last edited by Airboy; Sep 26, 2018 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:19 PM
Community Guy

Sep 26, 2018
STANTEC TOWER OFFICIALLY OPENS AS COMPANY’S NEW GLOBAL HEADQUARTERS
1,500 Stantec staff to move to new downtown office designed by the firm’s own architects and engineers

EDMONTON, AB; NEW YORK, NY (September 26, 2018)TSX, NYSE: STN

Stantec and ICE District Properties Joint Venture are celebrating the grand opening of Stantec’s new global headquarters, Stantec Tower. At 69-storeys in height (66 functional floors), Stantec Tower will be the tallest building west of Toronto and serves as one of the key pillars in Edmonton’s vibrant ICE District. The structure will house 29 floors of commercial workspace for Stantec’s 1,500 Edmonton based employees, Dentons Canada LLP, DLA Piper, and PwC Canada, as well as SKY Residences—483 premium condominium suites that includes more than 20,000 square feet of premium amenity space.

http://icedistrict.com/news-media/ne...-headquarters/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
There wasnt any .... but if you thought there was ...

My mistake.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 4:25 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Off the east end of downtown, eventually nearby
8. Massey Tower (Toronto): 208.3m / 683ft
TJ265439 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
TJ265497 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
TJ265501 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
10. YC Condos (Toronto): 198m / 650ft
TJ265420 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 11:36 PM
gettin' rich!

Raildeck/Skydeck and connections to CIBC Square -238 meters

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:07 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
MacEwan University... they dropped the Grant.
They should drop the MacEwan too.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:47 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
They should drop the MacEwan too.
Why? What's wrong with MacEwan ?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:33 PM
ARTchitecture

By Spring2008 on SRC.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 9:31 PM
Fake News

Love that view! Is the Bow hidden by fog or Telus Sky? Or is it just out of frame? Seems like it should be visible from there.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 9:40 PM
ARTchitecture

It's behind TS.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 12:17 PM
gettin' rich!

488 University - 207 meters

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:57 PM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada