HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 5:14 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
IKEA in Winnipeg? This rumour manages to pop up like clockwork every year or so. Ain't gonna happen.
Wrong. An IKEA in Fargo ain't gonna happen. AN IKEA in Winnipeg may possibly happen someday.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 7:52 PM
Movin' on up

I really don't see what the big harm is in IKEA setting up shop in Winnipeg. Really. Not that I am a huge fan, but it's a desirable store by many, and if the demand exists, build it. The fact that this city is even on the radar shows that we are not some deadwater city with no potential, as these kinds of stores don't set up in places like Sudbury. It's private investment in the city and everyone is crying for private investment, right? I say bring it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:12 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Agree. While I'll probably never set foot in the store, if there is demand for such a store, build it.

In this particular case, you'd be surprised with how far some will travel to go to an Ikea. Many suburban house wife types from Northern Ontario and through Saskatchewan may convince their families to take a vacation to Winnipeg (but her real motive will be the Ikea).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:17 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post

Agree. While I'll probably never set foot in the store, if there is demand for such a store, build it.

In this particular case, you'd be surprised with how far some will travel to go to an Ikea. Many suburban house wife types from Northern Ontario and through Saskatchewan may convince their families to take a vacation to Winnipeg (but her real motive will be the Ikea).
You know what? I never thought of that. This could lead to positive spinoffs to help enhance Winnipeg as a shopping destination, which may lead out of town shoppers to explore other facets of the city. Not that this will turn Winnipeg into the largest tourist destination in western Canada, but it could be one small step.

I'm trying to look at the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:36 PM

The same holds true with the COSTCOs in this city. People from all over southern Manitoba and NW Ontario make the trek to Winnipeg for the shopping experience. I can only see this enhanced by adding an Ikea to the mix. But after half a decade of rumblings, however unlikely, maybe this will be the year.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:40 PM
surely you agree with me

if we get an ikea, then for sure the jets are coming back....

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:42 PM
Mooderator

Damn. this thread is almost 2 years old.. that's a long time to be on the radar.

I saw the CTV "top story" on the dish today with Bored LeClair and Merrily Confuso, thinking it was actually going to happen. What was their story? "IKEA is on a list of possibilities!!" Nice, just like it was two fuckin' years ago.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:43 PM
What could go wrong?

What real negatives can there be from a 300,000 sq ft, tax generating, employee generating, tourist generating, PRIVATE business setting up shop in Winnipeg be. It's not like they will be block busting and expropriating houses in the north end. They will set up shop on some vacant field off Kenaston and Sterling Lyon or Bishop Grandin. I like many others here think that most of their stuff is crap but it is a fun store and i feel it would do wonders for the ego of many Winnipegers. Many will argue the merits of what it really offers peggers but us, on this forum are few and far between in terms of the feelings of the general population. So for that i say bring it, it will be good for the city in more ways than one.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:48 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
if we get an ikea, then for sure the jets are coming back....

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 9:34 PM

not against it... but imo it but any discussion about Ikea in Winnipeg always sounds like having an Ikea in Winnipeg is considered the ultimate litmus test for whether the city has "arrived".

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 9:52 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by art deco View Post
not against it... but imo it but any discussion about Ikea in Winnipeg always sounds like having an Ikea in Winnipeg is considered the ultimate litmus test for whether the city has "arrived".
I guess in a way it is. IKEA generally set up shops in thriving, economically feasible cities that can generate enough demand for IKEA products. They don't set up in dumps.

I really don't think this is such a bad thing.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 10:08 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Perhaps someone at the IKEA PR department just made a couple short calls to garner some free advertising in the local Winnipeg media outlets.

Seems likely considering most retailers are desperate to get their Christmas shopping numbers up.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 10:21 PM
I am a typical

Someone recently joked about Ikea anchoring a 600,000sqft retail development being built here. I doubt it. It'll probably be anchored by Sam's Club or another Wal-Mart.

Thunder Bayers won't go to Winnipeg for CostCo (we already have similar stores), but they'll certainly go for Ikea.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 10:26 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Man, if the Ikea store actually opens up, my cousin would freak out as she has somewhat of a twisted obsession with Ikea products.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 11:11 PM

Here is some interesting reading (or not) about IKEA - http://www.answers.com/topic/ikea.

Although IKEA itself claims that Vancouver had Canada's first store, this website says it was Dartmouth, Nova Scotia! But it closed in 1988 because of Sunday shopping laws. Who knew?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 11:28 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Someone posted a USENET posting from wpg.general on NewWinnipeg. I just had to repost it.

Take a look at the date. Nearly a decade old.

Quote:
Jan 20 1999, 2:00 am
Newsgroups: wpg.general
Date: 1999/01/20
Subject: Re: Ikea store
Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
In <783gh4$19...@pumpkin.pangea.ca> "Norm..." <g...@uwinnipeg.ca> writes:
>The rumour I heard came from a small business person who seems to think
>he's in the know. Ikea is coming and will live in one of the sites being
>built near Bishop Grandin or McGilivary near Waverly. It is supposed to
>be open in time to sell furniture to new university students for the
>fall.

That will be good. Ever since we moved to Ottawa, we went to Ikea at least
once a month. Some of the furnitures are in good quality and the customer
services are quite good too. I imagine the sales at the proposed Winnipeg
Store will be very good.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 11:36 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Someone posted a USENET posting from wpg.general on NewWinnipeg. I just had to repost it.

Take a look at the date. Nearly a decade old.
But this was only a rumor, nothing more, as stated in the article itself.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 11:39 PM
Movin' on up

So let this be true, build the damn thing so we can put an end to the "speculation".

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 12:06 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They will set up shop on some vacant field off Kenaston and Sterling Lyon or Bishop Grandin.
A friend of mine's finace worked at the city planning, property and development department this past summer on a work term and apparently IKEA has a long term plan (5 years or so) to build a store that will anchor some new development near Waverly West. It had something to do with the future extension of Kenaston to the perimeter. Anyway, this is a solid source, so apparently there is a little fuel to the rumours...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 1:11 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
IKEA in Winnipeg? This rumour manages to pop up like clockwork every year or so. Ain't gonna happen.
it really annoys me that these big box stores require all this land for cheap and build it in the 'burbs.

Why don't they build them several stories like they did with future shop in downtown Vancouver.

OK stupid question but what difference in cost in building a smaller but several stories building as opposed to a huge ass building on alot of land?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan