HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:22 AM
Mr. Technology

It's the tallest building in the city.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
In addition to looking cheap, this building looks so short and fat now. It doesn't even look all too impressive in person.

In any case, we're stuck with this anchoring the Downtown NY skyline for a long time. All the new buildings seem to be happening in Midtown.
I was out in Brooklyn last weekend and from there, this building looks absolutely massive. It towers over everything around it. You can complain about the aesthetics (although I personally like the building), but I really don't know how you can call it "short".

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
I have a question that I'm really interested in everyones opinion cause I know what mine is, I think. If you had to choose between the two, would you rather have 1wtc with Durst's antenna, or nothing on top at all(no antenna/spire etc.)?
I would rather have the Durst spire then nothing at all. The building would look naked without it. A spire draws your attention upward. It completes a building.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:27 AM
Mr. Technology

I actually like the climatic rise of One World Trade Center as it tapers it's way to the top.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
It's the tallest building in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I was out in Brooklyn last weekend and from there, this building looks absolutely massive. It towers over everything around it. You can complain about the aesthetics (although I personally like the building), but I really don't know how you can call it "short".

1 WTC is objectively tall I suppose, but something about the old spire made it look taller and gave it more presence. The new tin on the roof looks practically invisible in the daytime.

I wish something very tall rose on this plot but it's obviously too late. I hope something very tall rises somewhere near but Downtown seems...lethargic. Nothing big or impressive happens in the Financial District anymore.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 8:59 AM
Bionic Boogie

taken from a crappy iphone on a rainy boatride june6 by john d.

photo copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 9:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
this building looks so short and fat now. Doesn't look particularly tall
Not true. I'm constantly staring at the building on the skyline (you really can't avoid it because its so big) and I've noticed two things. First, from a distance you really can't see the details or features of the building, and it looks uncannily like one of the originals. Even knowing that was the intent all along, it's still striking. But the other thing is that, when you view it a different angle, because it tapers as it rises, it actually looks taller than the originals on the skyline. Either way you look at it, it dominates Downtown.

cerdsp

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I hope something very tall rises somewhere near but Downtown seems...lethargic. Nothing big or impressive happens in the Financial District anymore.
not sure how you can say this. Look at the change in Downtown since 9/11. The Beekman, 1WTC, 4WTC, 7WTC, GS, Beekman, WHotel, Barclay, and 2 WTC, 3WTC and 30 Park Place on the way. Maybe it doesnt compare to midtown in supertall proposals but there has been plenty happening Downtown, my favorite part of the city

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
Holy crap,if look closely the decking has been layed on the right portion.They're going full throttle on this last couple of floors.
The ironworkers have been working 10hr days and are working both Saturday & Sunday this weekend...June 14th is coming quick.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 1:14 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
... my favorite part of the city
As it is mine as well.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 1:29 PM

From Weehawken, NJ last night.

And here it is in a crappy picture peeking around the corner on 6th Ave. It's still 3.4 miles away, yet it still looks so huge.

Links might not work, just open it in a new tab if so...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 1:39 PM

There was a truckload of steel on Barclay st. waiting to go into the site this morning. Seems like a rapid flurry of activity near the end.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
1WTC vs. Trump Soho, Awesome cladding vs. awful cladding.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:07 PM

Quote:
In addition to looking cheap, this building looks so short and fat now. Doesn't look particularly tall or anywhere near its 4 billion price tag. It's crazy how a "tweak" changed the look of the building so dramatically.

In any case, we're stuck with this anchoring the Downtown NY skyline for...forever. All the new buildings seem to be happening in Midtown.
I guarantee you if the new antenna was the original antenna you would not have think 1 wtc look cheap, guess the change was for the best it will now blend in with all the other antennas and from the new renderings i just saw the antenna is starting to grow on me now and, as for it being short you have not obviously seen 1 wtc in person.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:30 PM

cerdsp

7WTC is closer and around 750',yet it looks like a small-sized building due to 1WTC massive size.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesfaninUT View Post
I received an email about 3 weeks ago from Jordan Barowitz of the Durst Organization. From what he told me it sounded like it was pretty much a done deal. They discussed the radome back in January and asked for a redesign then. SOM stood by their design. Whether that's the truth or not I dont know. I also sent emails out to the Mayor, Governor, the Port Authority and the President. I could not find any email info for David Childs though. The Durst Organization was the only one who responded.
The same guy from Durst responded to a couple other forum members on here and elsewhere with the exact same response. It sounds like they have a form letter typed up for people contacting them about the spire.

Re: 1 WTC's height, people should also keep in mind that the new 7 WTC is 130 feet taller than the original 7 WTC, which along with the GS HQ across the street helps to make 1 WTC look smaller than it actually is when compared to the original WTC.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:41 PM

Looks like there's been a crane jump

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:00 PM

Look how huge the twins look back in 1973 before the world financial buildings where built ,it is the same effect that 7 wtc and Goldman Sachs is giving to 1 wtc.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr9kC...eature=related

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:11 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:55 PM
Bionic Boogie

more glass is going up, another floor! on a beautiful spring day in NYC.

DSC_0029 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive